Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting for LOW TEMP on XL

Options
I'm going to try something different next low-temp cook.   Today, I wanted to go maybe 300 to 350 for a pot roast.  Wife purchased a 4 lb. er.   I got up and lit the XL in 4 places using 1/2 a 'starter' per place.  Waited for the smoke to clear, some crackling than I loaded the 'setter and grate.    
I than had a HECK of a time getting the temp DOWN.   And I started with the lower open about 2" or so and the daisy wheel full-open, but the other part closed.  

Would I be BETTER OFF by simply lighting ONE place for a lower temp indirect?   I suspect my 4 hours or so today used just a fraction of the lump available.  I'll bet it is FAR more controlable with LESS charcoal burning.   

Here are some of those 'rolls in a tube' which I did AFTER the roast came off and was resting.    These came out so good, I'm going to get a dough recipe for the bread machine and try AGAIN with a scratch-recipe!  

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Yes. You would almost certainly be better off lighting in only one place for a low and slow cook. That's what I do on my XL. When I want s large hot surface - to cook a lot of steaks or burgers - then I light it in 3 or 4 places. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thegooddocta
    Options
    I have a large, but I only light in one place for low and slow - right in the middle, dome up for 10 mins; dome closed, wheel off, vent open for 5; then set vents to target and wait until smoke is sweet.
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI