Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CHUNK O CHEST!!

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally! Gonna do another brisket!
It always gets me pumped. Firing up the egg the night before. Wind chills minus 10, but humpty doesn't mind. Something about cooking that challenging piece of muscle, and ending up with the hit of the party. You know you have a egg addiction problem when you offer to bring a brisket out of nowhere. I was talking on the phone to the guy who is having the party, and I blurted out "should I bring a brisket??" I mean, out of nowhere. It just came out of my mouth!![p]I have a 7.5 pound chunk o chest, waiting. I figure if I get it goin by 9:30 tonight, I can yank it off at 4:30 tomorrow and wrap it tight in the cooler for transport. That gives 19 hours of cooking time. I am trying to duplicate results of a 12 pounder I cooked for 26 hours. Keep dome a bit over 200 all night, then step it up toward 230 until the plateau is completed, and finish it off at 275. Probably pull off at 190 or 195 since it will be "cooking" in the cooler for a couple hours.[p]It is bitter cold, but the full moon is cranking! It reflects off all the snow, so it looks like daytime. Chunk-o-chest festivities begin as soon as I get the kids a bath, and put them to bed.[p]Hope everyone is staying warm!
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]Me: Hi, I'm Cornfed...
    All: Hi, Cornfed.
    Me: ...and I'm an Egg-a-holic.[p]While I've never offered a random brisket to a party, I've been pushing my cooking as aggressively as possible. Also, I know Smokin' Todd brought some of his ribs (his delicious, delicious ribs) into his place of employment to the enjoyment of his coworkers.[p]I likey the BGE,
    Cornfe(2k)d

• Nature Boy,[p]I have been tempted to do a brisket. One of my customers is from Texas and is always complaining about the 'Cue here in Tennessee. You've got me interested inb trying to surprise him.
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Nature Boy,[p]I would be suprised at 19 hours on a 7.5 lb brisket. Is it a full brisket or flat? My 8-10 cooks on that piece of meat always come in with much less cooking time. I would estimate somewhere between 10-12 hours max even at 200*. Keep us posted on the results.

• Nature Boy
    Irish Smoker,
    Thanks! Gettin ready to fire her up now.
    2 bucks a pound, delicacy status.[p]Yeah, show your customer what it's all about.
    Git one now!
    I will keep you posted on the results.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Bob,
    Wow! You have done a 7 pounder in 10-12 at 200??[p]The last 7 pounder I did took 10 hours, but that was with Elders 270 method. I did that one over a bare pizza stone.[p]Are you talking about doing it direct?? [p]Maybe I am giving it too much time, but it seems like they always take longer than planned![p]Thanks, NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Grumpa
    Nature Boy,[p]Only thing I ever use is the V-Rack over a drip pan. Last one I did about 2 weeks ago was a 6.5 lb flat. Put it on at 10am and pulled it off in time for dinner at 6pm. It was excellent and as tender as those prime steaks I got in the freezer. cooked at 210-220 the whole time.

• Nature Boy
    Bob,
    Holy chunk-o-chest!
    I haven't had one go that quick yet. I just put mine on at 10 pm. 150 dome with heavy hickory and oak smoke. By midnight, I should have it stabilized at 200. Now with your talk, I am hoping it doesn't go too quickly. I guess one thing for sure is it will be done in time for the party.[p]Man, I love this all night stuff. The moon is super bright, it is about 15 with a minus 29 wind chll. The snow makes this cool dry sounding squeak as you walk. The kids are in bed. Guinness Stout in hand. Smoke snaking out of the egg. Moonlight glistening off the snow. Yeeeeeeeee Ha![p]Thanks for your insights.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Grumpa
    Nature Boy,[p]Maybe mine have been thinner than yours or something but, I've always had to worry about them getting done too early on me. Once this past summer I stuck the brisket on with a butt at 11pm on a friday night. I overslept the next morning and when I awoke at 9am the butt was at 160 and the brisket was at 215*. Even the dog wouldn't eat it. Nothing but stringy overcooked rawhide. Yahhhh![p]Sounds like some ideal cooking conditions in the out-of-door up in your neck of the woods. I wish we could see some snow here in Atlanta before the winter is over. We get very little and it never lasts more than a day at best.

• Nature Boy
    Bob,
    Maybe thicker, but I am using a pizza stone, and water in the drip pan. It is at 195 dome now. Internal 82. I sure hope it goes longer than what you describe! Don't need no "stringy overcooked rawhide!"[p]I ain't gonna open the egg once. Will keep you posted on the progress tomorrow. Ya dun got me curious!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 75
    Bob,
    Please explain the difference between a full and a flat brisket. For egg cooking, is there a preference?[p]Thanks

• Grumpa
    Jeff,[p]A full brisket is untrimmed and has much more fat cap as well as the dekel (sp?) or pointed end with the grain running in a different direction from just the flat. The flat is trimmed much closer and generally no more than about 3' thick. It is much harder to find a full cut vs just the flat that is sold in most supermarkets. Both do well in the egg if cooked properly but, BBQ purists prefer the full cut over the flat.[p]I hope this helps. I am not the best at the art of the english language, so maybe some one can give you better details if needed.[p]Bob

• Nature Boy
    Jeff,
    The whole brisket is split up into a flat and a point. The flat end is thinner, but wider and flat. The point is thicker, narrower, and there is usually a rounded point on the end. I believe the point has a bit more fat, and is more tender, but not positive there. Either cut is good, but I like doing a whole brisket. The point end is my favorite to eat, but the whole chunk-o-chest is superb. [p]I just checked my bookmarks, but couldn't find the sites. Cat and someone else posted them a ways back. I learned a lot from reading trhough. One is that guy they say is the brisket king. And then another restaurant that has lots of info on briskets. Maybe someone will remember where those are.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Jeff,[p]Bob & Nature Boy both nailed the difference.[p]A full brisket may be preferred for non-Egg cooking, since the point adds a lot more fat to the process; with most other smokers, you'd probably need that to help keep this cut from drying out over a long cook. But the Egg does just fine with a flat. That's all I do, since it's all I can easily get here.[p]Here's the link Nature Boy referred to.[p]Cathy
    [ul][li]Danny's BBQ[/ul]
  • Cat, I'm dumping the Guru of Grease as a restaurant partner for you. He probably has a lot of knowledge, but won't share it with me. Your knowledge has humbled me. I guess we can hire him as a fry-cook. R's a lucky guy. :]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    King-O-Coals,[p]Oh, I just make it up as I go along. <grin>[p]We should stop meeting like this, people will talk.[p]Cathy

• Cat, Don't get too caught up with him. You see how fickle he is, I have been frying with him for years and he just tosses me like that. Of course I am also amazed with some of your insights.[p]