Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you make your own chicken stock?

Options
i am cooking a spatch bird on the egg tonight and we always make stock from the bones. Got me thinking, do other people on here make their own stock from theolor spatch birds?

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Not always, but sometimes.
    NOLA
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I have before but not very often. I will say the last quart jar of stock I canned went bad.

I was going to use it for soup last month. The seal was good, top hadn't popped up or anything but it reeked. Idiot me poured it down the sink and our kitchen smelled terrible for two days even after I poured bleach in it. 

Kind of turned me off of it, I screwed up somewhere but not sure what it was.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have, but I have also made it from a whole uncooked bird. Used the meat for chicken salad. Both the salad and the broth were great!

Lately, Kitchen Basics no salt added has been fine. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Crock pot chicken broth is really easy
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Yes.    I make stock from frozen carcasses, (3), once a month or so.  I use the pressure cooker. May never buy the polluted stuff again.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Yes, I freeze the carcass when I do chicken ballotine.  When I have enough, I cover with water,  add a few onions and carrots.   Boil for a few hours and voilà!  Best chicken stock you can have.

Options
    Usually make our own stock.  When we plan to make stock, I usually cook on the Weber gas grill (e.g. Peruvian rotisserie chicken), as my wife thinks that chicken cooked on the BGE results in stock that is too smokey.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • BugCollector
    Options
    We raise about 35 chickens (cornish crosses for meat every year) we get about 30 quarts of homemade chicken stock from them.  We think of it as liquid gold.  We also have duck and goat stock on hand all the time.  Treasures!  Goat stock is much better and more versatile than you'd think. Mmmmm.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I make homemade stock a couple times a year, use Alton's recipe (NO boiling, a bare simmer for 12 hours, raw chicken or wings/backs/necks).  
    You did it right when, after overnight refrigeration, it completely gels, no liquid whatsoever.  Fantastic taste and mouthfeel.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    The stock is ready
  • flyer_egger
    flyer_egger Posts: 128
    Options
    berndcrisp  I do exactly the same.  Much better than any premade.
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I always make my own stock, chicken, beef, & ham.  I save my chicken & turkey bones until I have enough for making 4 quarts of stock.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Yes I make my own from boiling rotisserie chickens
    Gambrills,Maryland

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    We keep a bag in the freezer for spatch chicken backbones, wing tips...etc. I make concentrated stock and freeze it in silicone muffin pans. Then pop out the 1/2 cup hockey pucks and keep me in a freezer bag for quick use. Great for adding flavor and substance to stovetop dishes. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Always use the back bone from a spatched bird. Also, if I debone thighs, I make stock with them.
    Usually either gets used for gravy, stock for rice dishes or chicken tortilla soup.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    ham bones, turkey, chicken, sometimes lobster and shrimp, even collect wing tips and onion ends from prepping and use these for quicker flavoring
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    I've made my own a few times. I'll normally keep bones & carcasses in the freezer until I have enough (2-3 chickens-worth) and some leftover vegetables. It's 10x better than whatever I could buy and practically free to make. I make anywhere between 4 to 6 quarts at a time and freeze it until we need it. 

I just let it go 4-8 hours and stop by once every hour or two to scrape the scum off. Pretty easy.

Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • SwampBadger
    Options

I make stock as often as I have enough bones stockpiled (or shells, if shrimp  or crawfish stock), or if it's being used right away in what I'm making like a soup.  But if I have stock in the fridge, its getting stolen for cooking rice, noodles, soups, etc., and there's never enough.  So I use soup base for some things.  And I use soup base when cooking for the masses that generally wouldn't know better, like a big Jambalaya feed or something where I'm in a hurry and using boneless/skinless instead of picking the meat off a carcass. 

In dog beers, I've only had one.

• paqman
    Options
    @Botch is right, no boiling, just a bare simmer. 

Water up to about an inch under the level of chicken. 

Chopped a few onions, celery, carrots,  salt and pepper. 

It will simmer on the stove top for the day.

Options
    I've been wanting to do this with my leftover bones from Spatch chick, but have only been able to get tiny, 3 lbers and there ain't a lot left after we eat the chick..

How many 3 lb spatch chick carcasses do you need to make a quart or two of broth?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • paqman
    Options
    @SmokyBear I did not count how many carcasses I had in each bag but I figure it was about 4 + a few backbones from spatchcocked chickens.  I bring the water level up to about an inch under the top of the chickens.

This batch will yield about 6-8 quarts of broth.  Tomorrow, when it cools down, it will be one big block of jello like broth :)

Options
    This is what it looks like after a few hours

Options
    Great g always said use the oldest toughest birds you can find for they make the best stock and soup. During the holidays you can find stewing chicken once in a while that a far superior to just a frying chicken. I guess having there own chicken coup had its advantages.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Keep a bag in the freezer for , backs, necks & wing tips when I spatch a bird or just buy backs, freeze in 2 cup containers for rice & other uses.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Always use my poultry scraps and vegetable peelings for making stock. I hate wasting any food product. I save all in freezer bags until ready to make stock. Then freeze most of it to have it last indefinately. Always keep some in the fridge for immediate use(under a week).
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I buy chicken bones from the oriental markets for a buck per ten pound bag. Roast the bones and mirepoix and simmer overnight in a huge stockpot. I used to freeze in foodsaver bags and then freeze but now I can bag it in the chamber sealer

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    Options
    Liquid gold

Options
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • joytreg
    joytreg Posts: 14
    Options
    i am cooking a spatch bird on the egg tonight and we always make stock from the bones. Got me thinking, do other people on here make their own stock from theolor spatch birds?
    Yup. It's so easy, why not? Sometimes I make a bunch and freeze it for use in rice and other recipes. I've never made it on the egg, though.