Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the BGE accessory you regret purchasing the most?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Zmokin said:
    cast iron grid, way over rated in the egg
    Well, to each his own, but I really hate the stock stainless steel grid.  I love the CI grill.  My only regret is paying too much for a BGE green DigiQ, by BBQ Guru.  If I had known I could buy a red one that doesn't say "Big Green Egg" on it for $50 less, I would have bought the red one.
    never seen the stock stainless, the ci was an improvement over the porcelin stock grid and for about a year i liked it til getting the adjustable grid. what i dont like is the weight, the rust, the breaking apart and if i want a better sear i just turn up the heat with the stainless. it doesnt even make a good boat anchor =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Platesetter - Buy an adjustable rack instead

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    volfan1 said:
    Question for those who don't use the PS. Do you make pizza? If so, what set up do you use? We make a lot of pizzas, and my set up is PS legs up, grid, and pizza stone on grid. It seems to work well, but I've already had a PS crack, and if the second one goes, I'd like to look at other options. Thanks!
    The adjustable rig from CGS is what a lot of people use for creating indirect cooks. Stone on the lower rack for creating the indirect effect and a second on an upper rack for cooking the pizza on. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I don't have a lot of accessories, but the only things I no longer use are my cast iron grid, my BGE thermometer, and the grid lifter that came with the egg. 

I don't have an AR so I still use my platesetter and like it! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    volfan1 said:
    Question for those who don't use the PS. Do you make pizza? If so, what set up do you use? We make a lot of pizzas, and my set up is PS legs up, grid, and pizza stone on grid. It seems to work well, but I've already had a PS crack, and if the second one goes, I'd like to look at other options. Thanks!
    The adjustable rig from CGS is what a lot of people use for creating indirect cooks. Stone on the lower rack for creating the indirect effect and a second on an upper rack for cooking the pizza on. 
    Thanks. Well, if this PS goes, I'm going with the AR setup. I already have a woo, so that seems like the way to go.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I would gladly take the LBGE cast iron cooking grate off anyone who doesn't want it. The problem is shipping .. it will probably cost a fortune. 

My worst accessory purchase is the baking steel I purchased .. have not had a chance to use it much :-(
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    While I still use the V-Rack every once in a while, I regret buying the BGE version of it.  Overpriced and you can get the same or better quality for less money.  
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    I have a grill extender like that and for my MBGE it is the best accessory I have, made by Grill Dome. For two of us it provides a raised direct, do a yardbird or whatever and it sits securely on the fire ring. Best use is for reverse sear, again, for a small cook. 

I really like that, where did you buy it?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Hands down this POS for me. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Maverick remote thermo

I used it a few times and then realized it wasn't necessary. Been sitting in the drawer for 3 years. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    The Looftlighter sits on a shelf after I found out about veg. oil and paper towel.
    I will take it off your hands! :smile: 

1) bge grid lifter 
    2) Conveggerator
    3) BGE Cookbook
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • DoubleEgger
    This thread could easily turn into a swap meet. One man's junk is another man's treasure.  
  • Eggerty said:
    The Looftlighter sits on a shelf after I found out about veg. oil and paper towel.

1) bge grid lifter 
    2) Conveggerator
    3) BGE Cookbook
    Thanks for the offer ;) but I am going to give it a try for summer. I didn't like standing there for two minutes wearing out my thumb in the cold.
  • I would say the Looftlighter as well, once I got on to paper towel and vegetable oil I never took it out of the box. The Big Green Egg cookbook comes in a close second. The AR rig and the Stoker rock!
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I also never used my BGE cookbook. I was excited when I bought it, but I never used it. I see I am not alone. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DoubleEgger
    ^^^ there's some decent stuff in there but very time consuming to prep
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Eggerty said:

1) bge grid lifter 
    2) Conveggerator
    3) BGE Cookbook

I just realized I never use my grid lifter.  Just put the heavy gloves on and go.
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited March 2015
    Do I dare say mini BGE?  I payed $150 for it but I use my Weber Smokey Joe 10 x 1.  It's a good little grill but I find it way too expensive and can be a hassle for basic quick tailgating cooks.  Just my opinion though 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    WeberWho? said:
    Do I dare say mini BGE?  I payed $150 for it but I use my Weber Smokey Joe 10 x 1.  It's a good little grill but I find it way too expensive and can be a hassle for basic quick tailgating cooks.  Just my opinion though 
    If you're traveling east through PA, I'll take it off your hands for $175.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    I love my Looftlighter. 

GWN
  • DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    I'm thinking my half-moon CI for my LGE. Got it years ago and never used it (although now I'm thinking to dedicate it to fish). But isn't it true that we'll all pretty much buy anything for the Egg just to try it out? That's half the fun - like sooping up a motorcycle!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited March 2015
    DMW said:
    WeberWho? said:
    If you're traveling east through PA, I'll take it off your hands for $175.
    I don't hate it but I'll take my Weber Smokey Joe to softball weekly for basic tailgating.  The mini doesn't get a whole lot of love. I'll use the mini in the summer at home but I find the small to be much more practical
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    The BGE burger press, used it once and into the drawer of misfit cooking stuff it went
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    I am mixed on my Looflighter. It works fine, but I like the simple electric starter better, I can plug it in and go do 10 min of food prep and when I come back out the fire is perfect.  I always feel like standing there holding the button on the Looflighter is wasted time (I know it's only a few minutes)
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • BGE Cookbook 
    Flint, Michigan
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Mangrates.  No really platesetter. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    For me it's the Maverick 732. Complete Chinese made junk!
    Atlanta GA. 
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    BGE cast iron half moon griddle. Cooked some bacon on it once and also did some french fries once. Never used it again.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Beer can chicken holder.  Still in its original packaging.  

I bought a bracket for two level cooking.  Never used it.  Between the XL and medium I've always had enough space.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.