Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

got some trusted lump.

Options

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Canuk hardwood. Good stuff but, still no match for Jake's Blend from WG!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That's the best @VANcouverEGG

Maple Leaf is my favorite lump.  I need to find a way to smuggle large amounts of it into the states.  You eggheads up north have got something great!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    What makes WG better than Mapleleaf??
    GWN
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    I've never tried Mapleleaf but I've had great luck with WG Jakes Blend. It's a little stubborn to light but it's dense and long lasting. Also lots of big chunks. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    If only I could find a way to ship it to Texas. Would love to give Maple Leaf a try since I've heard good things. I can still dream...
    McKinney, TX
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I was just curious why @Sundown preferred WG over Mapleleaf?
    GWN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That looks like the 4Kg bag. Where did you get it? I try to get the 8Kg bags, less chips and dust. 
    @Nanook WGWW had a bad spell a couple of years ago, they were shipping garbage to the extent even RO looked good. Understand they are back on track with WGWW (Weekend Warrior). 
    Jakes Blend is an import if I'm not mistaken, from Brazil? Had one bag (not enough to form an intelligent opinion) from a dealer in Mount Vernon, it was fine, but not as neutral as ML, IMO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • VANcouverEGG
    Options
    Got it from Home Hardwear. Got the smaller bag because on bicycle. 10.49$. Not cheap but so good. 
  • Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    Options
    I though it was just me. I have been using Royal Oak since I got my egg 2 years ago.  . I bought a bag of Maple Leaf the other day from Rona and everything has tasted so much better. My mind was blown!  
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Gooey1 said:
    I though it was just me. I have been using Royal Oak since I got my egg 2 years ago.  . I bought a bag of Maple Leaf the other day from Rona and everything has tasted so much better. My mind was blown!  
    @Gooey1 where are you? Which Rona? details, we need details! :)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    Options
    Kitchener Ontario. Looks like we are keeping this lump on the North side of the border. 
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"
  • islanderegger
    Options
    I got to go bug my HH dealer, maybe order in about six bags or so.
  • VANcouverEGG
    Options
    HH on commercial drive. East Vancouver. 
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    I just ordered 5-8kg bags and had it shipped to store from Home Hardware. Can't wait to try it. Hopefully my local dealer will catch on and start stocking it. He sells Weber grills but I am not sure what he expects you to burn in them?
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I just ordered 5-8kg bags and had it shipped to store from Home Hardware. Can't wait to try it. Hopefully my local dealer will catch on and start stocking it. He sells Weber grills but I am not sure what he expects you to burn in them?
    @SaskNortherner - Probably briquettes - most HH stock Kingsford - ML briquettes are also very good, guess they have to do something with the chips and dust. 
    @islanderegger tough for us left coasters as you can't get much farther away from where ML is made. The price is $19.99 a bag and you might ask if they can give you at least 5% off for 5 bags. My local HH does that. I've been trying to push for $2 per bag off for a 30 bag pallet - get it done for a year or two. 
    @VANcouverEGG - thanks for the info. 

• VANcouverEGG
    Options
    Great lump. Very quick to light and very clean burn. This stuff starts up fast with no spark. I grilled sockeye with it and taste was very neutral. I will never buy RO again.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If you have an option get the 8 Kg bags. Any time I've used the blue and white ones they have had a lot of small pieces.

Steve 

Caledon, ON