Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Poor Weber

Options
jtcBoynton
jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
Look what's happening to my old gasser. Non-use and Florida humidity are creating a mess. I don't even have any interest in cleaning it up, the egg has my full attention now.  Think I may try to give it away to one of the neighbors!

Southeast Florida - LBGE
In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    I use mine to store stuff.  Occasionally I will use it as a warmer.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    that is a rough environment for a metal grill.  sad to see it in that state.  i would love to be one of your neighbors to receive the gift.  i feel those old style weber are the best ones, they look really good cleaned up.
  • Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    Options
    My gasser hit the curb two weeks ago and it was gone within the hour.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Thats an old Silver B model. I have gotten many years of service from it. Its old enough that the propane bottles are not supposed to be filled anymore (think I got it in 2000). The frame and metal top and bottom are in good shape. It the cast iron grate and Flavorizer Bars that are really rusty, but still usable with some, ok a lot, of cleanup.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Had a few decent gassers (covered religiously)  and FL was never kind to them. Adios gassers. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It's not a gasser, but I still cook on a wore out and broken down Weber. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Many years ago, I owned a gasser that used lava rocks instead of those bogus flavorizor bars. It was an excellent grill. If I ever find a neighbor willing to donate his gasser, I plan to convert to lava and see what happens. Sure is quicker and easier than charcoal. And the food was excellent! But don't tell anyone I said that!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Many years ago, I owned a gasser that used lava rocks instead of those bogus flavorizor bars. It was an excellent grill. If I ever find a neighbor willing to donate his gasser, I plan to convert to lava and see what happens. Sure is quicker and easier than charcoal. And the food was excellent! But don't tell anyone I said that!
    Me too. The lava rocks were a gift that kept on giving if you didn't leave the grill on for 10 minutes or so after a drippy cook. They soaked up the fat and slowly released for the next cook. I liked those ceramic briquettes - they stayed cleaner and did the same thing to regulate the heat distribution and slow the flare ups.
    My old Broil King has a flavorbar and I've been watching for a rack to try the brand new box of ceramic I did not know I had until stumbled over it while cleaning the shed.  

@jtcBoynton - that is one sorry looking grill, even for a gasser. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I have medium egg and a KJ classic that I use for most cooks.  A Weber kettle and a Weber gas grill are on standby.  I use them when I have large cooks.  For example,  a couple of weeks ago, I cooked for 50  The kettle was used for additional wings.  The gas grill is useful for vegetables and rotisserie cooking.  You can never had too much grill space.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I gave my gasser away last year. I gave my charcoal grill away last weekend.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's