Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4K HD Projector

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
Does anyone have a 4K projector and if so do you recommend it over going with it over 1080p?  I am going to be stating to build my home theater room soon and was leaning toward a 1080p projector under $1000 for now, but think that maybe I should spend the money on 4K and be ready for more content comes out.  Your thoughts?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @cazzy should stop by soon.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I have the Sony VW350ES.  Its pretty amazing, but a lot would argue to wait a year or so before adopting, mainly because none of the 4K TVs or projectors support HDMI 2.0 rec 2020.  This means that the current of TVs can only support 10Gbps vs the up to 18Gbps that rec 2020 will support.   4K Blu-Ray drops later this year and early next, and it likely will definitely support HDMI 2.0 and older versions of HDMI. It may be capped at 10Gbps, but that is still way better than 1080p.

90% of my current content is up converted and it's insane. Blacklist in 4K is the best picture I've ever seen.  I can see dust particles in the air during backlit scenes.

Upgrading now or waiting is really up to you.  I'd rather enjoy it now than wait a year or 2.  Usually when you wait, something else is on the horizon tempting you to wait again...like 8K.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I'd wait.  They content isn't there.  Heck, broadcast TV is 1080i at best.  You need the bandwidth to push that much data, so I see it further down the road.  By then, they'll be cheaper.  Yes, projectors are cheaper and you can get a bigger image, but how big do you need?  90" monitors are available now.  Not cheap, but better picture than a projector, I think.  If you are set on a projector, get a good screen.  The new high resolution fabrics are meant for 1080p images, and worth the cost difference. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    500 said:
    I'd wait.  They content isn't there.  Heck, broadcast TV is 1080i at best.  You need the bandwidth to push that much data, so I see it further down the road.  By then, they'll be cheaper.  Yes, projectors are cheaper and you can get a bigger image, but how big do you need?  90" monitors are available now.  Not cheap, but better picture than a projector, I think.  If you are set on a projector, get a good screen.  The new high resolution fabrics are meant for 1080p images, and worth the cost difference. 
    Um...sorry boss but you're very very very wrong.  I've owned some of the best TVs ever made and none of them come close to touching my 4K projector (or most quality 1080p projectors).  In my house, I have a Panasonic VT30 and a Samsung F8500, and neither compare.  In regards to fabrics, most fabrics work for 4K.  My Stewart screen is rated specifically for it and 1080P.  It's kinda like every monitor that came out after Win7 dropped said "Certified for Windows 7"...most screens will work.

Content is the only thing not there, but I have a 4K Media Player, 4K Netflix and 4K Hulu.  Granted all the content is limited, but Blu-Rays up converted is unreal.  People who have seen it are blown away.  

I've been in this game for 20 years and this projector changed my world.  I have a 115" screen and the clarity is unreal.  After this, I will never not own a projector.  Problem is that most people set up a projector all wrong.  **** screen, or just a wall in a room with all sorts of ambient light.  Picture looks washed out.  Once you see it done right, your mind will be changed.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    cazzy said:
    500 said:
    Um...sorry boss but you're very very very wrong.  I've owned some of the best TVs ever made and none of them come close to touching my 4K projector (or most quality 1080p projectors).  In my house, I have a Panasonic VT30 and a Samsung F8500, and neither compare.  In regards to fabrics, most fabrics work for 4K.  My Stewart screen is rated specifically for it and 1080P.  It's kinda like every monitor that came out after Win7 dropped said "Certified for Windows 7"...most screens will work.

Content is the only thing not there, but I have a 4K Media Player, 4K Netflix and 4K Hulu.  Granted all the content is limited, but Blu-Rays up converted is unreal.  People who have seen it are blown away.  

I've been in this game for 20 years and this projector changed my world.  I have a 115" screen and the clarity is unreal.  After this, I will never not own a projector.  Problem is that most people set up a projector all wrong.  **** screen, or just a wall in a room with all sorts of ambient light.  Picture looks washed out.  Once you see it done right, your mind will be changed.
    I currently have a Elite 110" 16x9 screen I got on Amazon a few years back to use with the borrowed 720 projector I was using.  It didn't look that great tell the lamp burned and I replaced it with a new one.  What a difference that was.  The home theater thing is kind of like the toys for the Egg, my wife doesn't understand or care.  I know what I want, but have beer budget on a champagne taste.  I would love a 156" curved perforated Stewart screen and a 4K projector.  I already have some great Klipsch reference speakers and a Integra DTR 40.2 receiver and 200 watt Marantz mono block amps for power.  I just need to get the room built and put it all together.  I could sell the wife on a projector under $1000,  but not sure on $4000.  Maybe if I build it it will come.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    500 said:

I currently have a Elite 110" 16x9 screen I got on Amazon a few years back to use with the borrowed 720 projector I was using.  It didn't look that great tell the lamp burned and I replaced it with a new one.  What a difference that was.  The home theater thing is kind of like the toys for the Egg, my wife doesn't understand or care.  I know what I want, but have beer budget on a champagne taste.  I would love a 156" curved perforated Stewart screen and a 4K projector.  I already have some great Klipsch reference speakers and a Integra DTR 40.2 receiver and 200 watt Marantz mono block amps for power.  I just need to get the room built and put it all together.  I could sell the wife on a projector under $1000,  but not sure on $4000.  Maybe if I build it it will come.
    The cheapest 4K projector you can get into right now is $8000 if they honor the Sony sale and $10,000 if they don't.  
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    500 said:

The cheapest 4K projector you can get into right now is $8000 if they honor the Sony sale and $10,000 if they don't.  
    What about JVC and seen a Sony for $8000, but if that's the case then there is no way I will get one right now.  Rather have a hot tub for that kind of money. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    500 said:

What about JVC and seen a Sony for $8000, but if that's the case then there is no way I will get one right now.  Rather have a hot tub for that kind of money. 
    The Sony was $8000 until the end of February.  The sale is done and it's back to $10,000.

JVC doesn't have 4K.  It has e-shift or some crap like that.  It isn't 4K, but it is probably better than 1080P.  Maybe that's the route you should go to hold you over.  JVC has great blacks so they are not bad by any means.