Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Importance of Dome Thermometer Calibration

Maybe this should be labeled OT, or PSA.  I'm not sure, but I keep seeing posts regarding temperature monitoring devices so I thought I would share one of my blunders.  I was cruising along into about year three or four of owning my Egg and I had never bothered to calibrate my dome thermometer.  I had two incidents related to this that I can share.  First, I burned up a Maverick probe because I thought I was well within the temperature constraints, but didn't realize that my thermometer was way, way off.  Secondly, I burned a spatchcock chicken.  Turns out that my thermometer was probably close to 100 degrees off.  Since then I calibrate at least once every other month and I now just have it inserted loosely (credit @RRP for this piece of wisdom).

I think my experience is probably an outlier since I noticed that the stem of my thermometer is a little bent.  Still seems to function properly, though, but the fact that it is bent means it experienced some trauma from a large piece of protein at some point, which is the reason why it's a good idea to leave it loose. 

So, every now and then boil a pot of water and calibrate your thermometer (there is a small nut on the back).
LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Couldn't agree more-it's the one instrument that is standard across all BGE's. You need confidence in the data you cook with.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Good reminder, It's been awhile since I checked mine, thanks.
  • time to check my thermo! thanks for the reminder

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    You're welcome... 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I calibrated mine once.  But as I connect my DigiQ to the clamp of the BGE gauge, so far they read pretty close to each other, so I go with the idea that 2 gauges won't degrade exactly the same.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    I will check mine.  Thanks
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    The Thermoworks folks should adapt their technology to a form that would replace these old analog metal spring type of thermometers.

If they took their new DOT model and just made it with a permanently attached probe out the back that could be screwed or clipped into the hole that most grills have I bet they would sell like hotcakes (so to speak).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk