Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo for XL

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
after seeing numerous posts, I am tempted to buy a woo.  But a lot of the versatility and ease of use is based on the design of the product.  Specifically, the handles.  

The XL version does not have handles.  Does anyone with an Xl use a woo or similar product. Does it still offer the same benefits without handles for easy extraction?
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• damnedhooligan
    Options
    I have the XL WOO2 which I always leave in my egg. I just use some welder gloves to pull it out from the inner ring. I don't need no stinking handles =)

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have an original Woo an Adj Rig and a Flip Ring for my XL.
    Flip Ring is always my favorite.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a woo on my xl and my medium.  I love the handles for the medium and I do miss them on the XL.

However, the other benefit of raised direct, wok cooking, and use with stone instead of PS made it worth the investment for me.  I went woo and stone instead of PS.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • johnnyp
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac that brings up another question. The PS can be used with other size woos.  With the Xl woo, is the stone required or can my ps be used?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I would call CGS and ask, but I'm pretty sure you can use the PS with it.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    We can put handles on the xl woo, but decided against it.  Lifting a loaded woo can easily get unwieldy.  It's a balancing act to keep the grid level when lifting and/or carrying that much weight - balancing a 24 inch wide diameter on a 4 inch pivot line.  

Like a lot we do around here, we can add handles, if you like.  Just gotta ask!

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

...  Just gotta ask!

t
    @tjv ... okay, how's the grill extender for the large PSwoo2 coming along ... the one with a 4.5 inch lift?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    tjv said:
    We can put handles on the xl woo..

t
    Dang!  Wish I had known.  Love the handles on my medium woo, constantly wish the were on my XL woo.  Want to trade for a slightly used XL woo?  I probably only have 50 or 60 cooks on it. (just got it in December)
  • johnnyp
    Options
    tjv said:
    We can put handles on the xl woo, but decided against it.  Lifting a loaded woo can easily get unwieldy.  It's a balancing act to keep the grid level when lifting and/or carrying that much weight - balancing a 24 inch wide diameter on a 4 inch pivot line.  

t
    Do you mean you can add them to the product line with increased customer demand?  Or that handles can be added for an individual?  Because if so, I'm in!
  • tjv
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    tjv said:

t
    Do you mean you can add them to the product line with increased customer demand?  Or that handles can be added for an individual?  Because if so, I'm in!
    I would have already added it to the XL Woo f I thought it was safe for the typical user.  Last thing I want to see is someone have a 16 lb brisket or couple butts slide off the grid because the grid teetered on them.  To carry 16 lbs. of meat, an indirect set-up (woo, stone, pan  and meat) would weigh in the neighborhood of 30 lbs.  It can be a balancing act that can easily go wrong.

If  you want them, email me and we can work it out. 

t
  • tjv
    Options

...  Just gotta ask!

t
    @tjv ... okay, how's the grill extender for the large PSwoo2 coming along ... the one with a 4.5 inch lift?
    Do you mean these, just waiting on machine tooling to get them in production.  It's a 3.5" inch opening between grids.  the D grid on top slides back, just like it does on the adj. rig.   Hope in a couple weeks. t

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tjv said:

Do you mean these, just waiting on machine tooling to get them in production.  It's a 3.5" inch opening between grids.  the D grid on top slides back, just like it does on the adj. rig.   Hope in a couple weeks. t

@tjv ... yes, glad they're coming along.  They will add greatly to the versatility of the PSWoo units.  Looks like the bottom grid needs to be in place for them to work ... yes?  I like the way they hook into the handles to keep them from sliding around.  Since I already own one, I'm glad you incorporated the D grid into the design.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I have woo2.  No handles.  I never need to remove it during a cook, so handles aren't that important to me.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    @tjv Considering the woo 2 won't hold the ps, I'm going to go with an AR and add in the woo and stone once my PS dies