Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Prime splurge, Mini Max cook with Mini accessories

SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
Splurged on some prime filets @ costco  ($21.99/lb a bit rich for me) and i was not disappointed. I could not use my platesetter since it is a PIA to remove from the WOO ( hot would be impossible) so had to rely on some mini accessories to get the reverse sear. Mini CI grid, and Stone while the Filet cooked indirect. Remove the grid and stone then do reverse.

Wish i had better lighting for the done pics.
Loved the meal.

Seattle, WA

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Awesome!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Looks great,  but that's really not a bad price if you look at what most of us pay for other stuff!   Take a small bag of potato chips.   Typically around a 1 oz bag cost $1 to $2 depending if you get the combo.   Math whiz says that is pretty darn expensive for chips!   I would rather eat filet!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Next time you want a nice steak use that logic to get everyone on board!  $24/lb for chips or $22 for a healthy filing juicy steak! 
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Looks damn fine in that light!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2015
    @SkinnyV Not to be a negative Ninny I too have found it cumbersome to install and remove the PS from the WOO. Is there a solution besides buying the deflector stone?  One of the reasons I bought it was because they said the PS would work which it does but, removing while hot would be an utter nightmare. Reminds me of...(except I can get the ring out in a second on the horseshoes). 
    horse shoe puzzle ring: https://youtu.be/l5GeeArVal4
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Looks amazing. Well done!
    McKinney, TX
  • SkinnyV
    edited March 2015
    Its very annoying I've spent quite a bit with cgs, and I know the praise but this is almost in the not acceptable , us early adopters got screwed category. He should have just advertised it with the stones he sells and not the ps. It almost seems like there was a production mistake as the fit is close but no cigar. He reads the boards and this has been mentioned in a few threads but no word from him. I would tell others if going with the PS do not buy the woo to use together. I know the price was right, but I must say the $15 to ship this light piece was a bit much for me too. Ok rant done. Better yet I need to go leave a review on his site for the mini max woo.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2015
    @SkinnyV it's not a rant nor is it bashing the product. I actually really like the WOO set-up. I do however wish it would allow for installation and removal of the PS as advertised. I don't consider this to be unreasonable whatsoever. Have you contacted Tom? I haven't. I may do that tomorrow just to see if this has already been addressed. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SkinnyV
    edited March 2015
    I just left a review. I owned the woo for the large and mini. Removal of any indirect piece was a breeze with a pair of gloves, I'd like to see my review posted, not harsh and would love to hear what he says. I see no reason why it does not fit easier, it honestly feels like a production error as if I force the bars out I can dislodge it, no other affect on holding the grid and such would take place if the PS had just a tad more room. I'm not going to lose any sleep, but it is not on par with his other offerings.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    Last note as to not totally trash the woo Does it raise the grid and work great....yes Does it hold the PS for indirect , yes. The only thing is the fit is not great, so overall not a bad product just expected the ease of use I experienced in both the mini and large PS woo. I will not post anymore on the annoyance of the fit, I've released it all. Thanks :)
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Good looking grub brother Skinny :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SkinnyV
    edited March 2015
    SGH said:
    Good looking grub brother Skinny :clap: 
    Nice appetizer for you there , fed my family of 4 (2 little ones) . :) Awaiting brisket camp details, want to try and attend this year.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    SkinnyV I am in the camp that doesn't like the platesetter and my Woo never leaves my Mini-Max or Mini. I feel the stones are so much a better product. But in the beginning one could only get a platesetter so I made a quick mod and it slips in and out quickly. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    @SkinnyV @NPHuskerFL @Mickey Thanks for the review, I was about to order from CGS but I'll give them a call first.

Skinny, if you really wanted to, I guess that you could have used the PS in the woo and then remove everything and just use the cooking grid for the direct part?

paqman said:
    @SkinnyV @NPHuskerFL @Mickey Thanks for the review, I was about to order from CGS but I'll give them a call first.

Skinny, if you really wanted to, I guess that you could have used the PS in the woo and then remove everything and just use the cooking grid for the direct part?
    Order the stones with the Woo 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Great looking cook!  I ordered the woo with stone and I still wish I had the PS for pizza cooks. I might just get an extra stone to throw on the grid for pizzas. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    i appreciate the feedback on the mmwoo and using the platesetter.  I need a little more information on where the difficulty is.  Is it difficult to fit the platesetter between the legs (tight fit) or is it difficult to slip the platesetter under the top ring and on the lower ring?  

If it is fitting between the legs, that's a hard one to adjust.  The gap between the fire ring and platesetter's outer edge is very tight for running wire legs.  So, tight that we had to drop 1/16 wire diameter to get our 10.25" stone and, as best we could, the platesetter to fit.  We have to account for the fact that not all fire rings are fabricated to exacting standards.  There are minor diameter variations because of the production process.  Molding ceramics is more an art form than a static production process.  So, when 1/16 inch is critical, it gets dicey to fabricate.  The easy fix is increase the diameter of the fire ring, eliminate much of the existing gap between the fire ring and base wall.  BGE did this very thing on the medium this past year.  Small egg has the same gap.

If it is difficult to get the platesetter into the mmwoo, then the fix is increasing how high the top ring goes up.  Only issue with this is, need to make sure there is ample room above the grid so most food placed along the grid's edge will fit under the dome.

I could just tell folks the platesetter does not fit or may not fit easily, but then we'll get the calls - my platesetter fits fine or how can I tell if it fits or not.   So far,  I don't think anyone has called saying the platesetter does not fit.   Actually, Mickey fix is very easy to do using a $4 Vermont American grinding point from Home Depot.  About as simple as drilling a hole.   

For us to make a change is not difficult,  We have the equipment and fabricate in-house on the same jig.  It's a couple program changes on the wire bender to change the mmwoo leg design.

The main objectives with the mmwoo when we designed it were:  (a) have indirect set-up capability; (b), provide raised grid direct, get the grid off the fire ring so there is more usable grid space; (c) be able to lift the entire unit out (grid, ceramic, pan, food) as one unit, an easy way to access lump. 

tom

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.