Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-733 $49.99 @ Amazon

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    Dang.  I might just buy a 2nd at that price!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    These are great therms but for some reason it seems to go through batteries like crazy. 
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @Monaarts I don't remember who but someone posted about this a couple of weeks back. Apparently related to the order you turn them on and off. 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up!  Just picked one up.

This will be my first Maverick.  Have heard lots about these over the years.  So looking forward to it!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 483
    Options
    Dang.  I might just buy a 2nd at that price!
    I had a probe crap out on my 732 so that's what I did.
    Austin, TX
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Are the 732 and 733 probes interchangeable?
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    @Walt2015 thanks for the heads up...  I'll take a look through the forum for that.
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    Purchased mine last night!  Because really, what's the point in spending $25 for replacement probes for the ET732????

Strongsville, OH

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 483
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Not sure, but just a new probe cost about $15 so figured it was worth it to get a whole set.
    Austin, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I figured the price would have dropped more since the 735 came out...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I didn't know about the 735.  Decent reviews on Amazon, but a few really bad ones stating the BT simply didn't work.  I guess it might depend on the device you are using.  Claims 160 ft range. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    I have both the 732 and 733. The 733 comes with 2 hybrid probes that can be used for both food & grate temperature measurement. So to answer your question .. the probes are interchangeable.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I didn't know about the 735.  Decent reviews on Amazon, but a few really bad ones stating the BT simply didn't work.  I guess it might depend on the device you are using.  Claims 160 ft range. 
    BT is 4.0 so phone must be compatible, maybe that’s the issue. The probes for the 735 look different in that the cable to probe connection appears to be sealed rather than just crimped - maybe no more wrapping the junction with foil?
    The specs I’ve seen on line indicate a 572ºF range for the 735, the 733 had a spec’d 716ºF range. The 735 probes sound like the 732 probes. 

Good buy on the 733 if you need one. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Not really a great deal for me when I tack on the exchange. Only saves me about $10 from buying a new 732 or less than $20 for a new 733.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Not really a great deal for me when I tack on the exchange. Only saves me about $10 from buying a new 732 or less than $20 for a new 733.
    If you don’t have a close US ship to, you would be stuck with paying the “country” pricing of $80CDN for the 733. Shipped to US address from Amazon US it would cost me about $65CDN for the $50US ET-733. 
    I like the 733 I got from @stlcharcoal, it has been flawless. I do miss the timer function of the 732. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Options
    I have no idea if the 735 is better or worse. @Ross_in_Ventura just got one. I was just thinking that since the new model came out they would be dropping the price on the older ones. I thought the 733 was always around $50 bones, but I maybe wrong. It's happened before.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options

Rowlett, Texas

• Skiddymarker
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Griffin - you may not always be right, but you are never wrong! (so my Dad used to say)
    $50 has been the price for all the Mav’s after the first 6 months or so on the market. If you are an early adopter, you will pay a bit more for it. 
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options

I read the comments at the link in the OP.

Some poor sap put the sending unit IN the cooker with the probes...  wow

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • mick7607
    mick7607 Posts: 85
    Options
    I just received a Maverick ET-733 from Amazon. Their probes are crap. Out of the box, one probe read 10-15 degrees higher upon calibration. tried it in an old Maverick base and read the same thing. Will be sticking with Thermapen.
    Laurens,SC
  • hondabbq
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    If you don’t have a close US ship to, you would be stuck with paying the “country” pricing of $80CDN for the 733. Shipped to US address from Amazon US it would cost me about $65CDN for the $50US ET-733. 
    I like the 733 I got from @stlcharcoal, it has been flawless. I do miss the timer function of the 732.
    I make regular trips to the US and have a parcel service as you mention.
    The 733 is $50 US plus the $5 fee for the parcel pickup plus 25% exchange is $68.75 CAD.  733 on Amazon.ca is $80 shipped. Add  few bucks for GST. To save a whopping $20 on something that will just sit for who knows how long in my cupboard as I treat my current Maverick very well, Not worth it for me.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    Because this topic line is strictly about Maverick I would like to re-post a comment I made on a different thread a few days ago, where someone also pointed out that they haven't appreciably changed/updated their button tech since the beginning 5-6 generations ago...

Which begs the question WHY in 2015 do we have to put up with something as user unfriendly as our Maverick's?? I also have the 733, and just about every time I use it for more than basic temp monitoring, I gotta drag out the instruction sheet to refresh my memory as to whether I have to stand on my head or rub my belly first and then hop on one foot for 32 seconds... or do I hop first? ... and then their instruction about if you get an LLL on the screen to take the jack out, put it back in firmly, try wiggling it around a bit, and if that doesn't work...it's probably broken. This morning at 3:30 I couldn't get it to work, thought Aww heck things ain't starting out well till I tried one last thing... I licked the jack, put it in and it's working! My Maverick reminds me of Windows 95... or a digital watch I had in the 90's that did all kinds of neat things, of you could figure out which buttons to push, in which order.

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ... The specs I’ve seen on line indicate a 572ºF range for the 735, the 733 had a spec’d 716ºF range. The 735 probes sound like the 732 probes. ...
    @Skiddymarker ... Maverick leaves the customer confused at best with their online stuff.  I've got a 732 and a 733.  Both manuals contain this statement:

"The Barbecue Thermometer registers temperatures as ... high as 572 ºF ... HHH will be displayed above 572 ºF.  Do not use the stainless probe sensor above 572 ºF.  Doing so will deteriorate the wire."

Thus, both units stop reading above 572 ºF and display "HHH". 

As to the probes ... Maverick, on their website, says that the 732 probes are heat resistant to 712 degrees ... their outdated website doesn't even list the 733.  However, Amazon lists both units as having probes heat resistant to 712 degrees.

I think we interchange the two numbers thanks to Maverick's lack of attention to detail.  Both units will stop reading at 572 ºF and both sets of probes are heat resistant to 712 ºF.

@mick7607 ... call them with your probe problem. Their customer support is very good.  The problem with Thermopen is that they don't have a temperature unit that reads remotely.  That's the killer for most of us.  If they did, I'd certainly be converting over.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• valois
    valois Posts: 24
    Options
    Awww. i just payed 69.99 for one and should come in the mail today, but it did come with some bear paw meat shredders. :) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GM0RXQQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Could it be that they put the 572 number with the expectation that it will be noticed on the receiver and the user will rectify the heat climb?
    The probes are rated for712 but as I said is the 572 there as a stop gap?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    Because this topic line is strictly about Maverick I would like to re-post a comment I made on a different thread a few days ago, where someone also pointed out that they haven't appreciably changed/updated their button tech since the beginning 5-6 generations ago...

Which begs the question WHY in 2015 do we have to put up with something as user unfriendly as our Maverick's?? I also have the 733, and just about every time I use it for more than basic temp monitoring, I gotta drag out the instruction sheet to refresh my memory as to whether I have to stand on my head or rub my belly first and then hop on one foot for 32 seconds... or do I hop first? ... and then their instruction about if you get an LLL on the screen to take the jack out, put it back in firmly, try wiggling it around a bit, and if that doesn't work...it's probably broken. This morning at 3:30 I couldn't get it to work, thought Aww heck things ain't starting out well till I tried one last thing... I licked the jack, put it in and it's working! My Maverick reminds me of Windows 95... or a digital watch I had in the 90's that did all kinds of neat things, of you could figure out which buttons to push, in which order.

I totally agree...it is like setting a VCR circa 1987.  I think the 735 will make this much easier since it uses an app on the iphone or android.  

However, I'm personally gonna wait a while and see how the reviews are and if they are positive I will buy it when it comes down to $50-$60. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.