Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori brisket - running play by play

2»

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited March 2015
    Low and slow (250 ish for a couple hours) plus a sear wins the prize.  I'm ready to go again. 

Also, Curry Egg #2 has been fully commissioned. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

This is darn-tootin' spectacular!! Love it. 

I would have thought that the beef would be more tender since it was cut thin and you used both papaya and yogurt. Methinks another experiment with a 48hr marination is in order.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Hah all this talk about "curry eggs" has me scared! Will I forever be adding a hint of curry to my egged meals by egging curry once? Not that I'd mind, but it'd be a good excuse to justify a second egg to the wife ;]

Don't be scared :) The 1st Curry Egg came from Salado 2014 when Little Steven and I cooked 2 different lamb items on our egg. Cen-Tex apparently ended up taking that egg home and swore he could smell the curry in it. Nothing that a clean burn or two can't fix. I can't remember the last time I did a clean burn, and I've cooked all kinds of Indian things on my eggs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice work, now I'm craving Indian food.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I have no clue what he's saying but it sounds like a brisket celebration to me. 

http://youtu.be/c9TIKXVaLrI
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Reading this at a Hindi restaurant makes me more hungry... Still I need to cook some vindaloo on my egg to have it seasoned
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Innovative cook...thanks for sharing. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    caliking said:

This is darn-tootin' spectacular!! Love it. 

I would have thought that the beef would be more tender since it was cut thin and you used both papaya and yogurt. Methinks another experiment with a 48hr marination is in order.

I would have thought so too.  Next time, I will do a 48 hour batch as well, but the 24 hour + 2 hrs low and slow + sear seems to be a winner by itself.

The marinade was great, and the meat just needed to soften up.  After we gnawed our way through the first batch, we were thinking about everything from sous viding the slices in the marinade up to 180, then charring (cheating, in my book, but we discussed it), doing a full packer and then marinading cooked slightly undercooked flat (destined for failure), and then we came up with "just cook it low and slow, like, you know, BRISKET."  The egg had cooled to 250 by then and we were off to the races.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Throw the brisket in a sous vide bath for 24 hours at 147 prior to grilling.  That will break down the connective tissue.  
    edited March 2015
    Throw the brisket in a sous vide bath for 24 hours at 147 prior to grilling.  That will break down the connective tissue.  
    I know that it would work, but that crosses a philosophical line for me that I find difficult.  Keep in mind, that I have a hard time looking myself in the mirror to shave after I've used my Stoker, and would inject broth into one of my kids before doing so to a brisket (plus I don't have a sous vide yet).

You can call me a flat-earther troglodyte if you like, but I'm stickin' ta far.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    John, you can buy veal brisket or cook it longer, cut thinner across the grain or cure/brine, but there aren't many other ways to make the collagen and connective tissue in brisket less al dente...
    Great cook!
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.