Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vietnam barbecue. Pork rules! Lots of pictures.

Options
chashans
chashans Posts: 418
Lots of pork going on here. It is hard to find beef in the market place and when you do it is of the lowest quality and very expensive. In the marketplace (Cai Rang, Can Tho) and these pictures you will find Tao Charcoal Burners, charcoal fuel, pork vendors, beef vendor, carved pineapple, French bread, farm raised rats...and more.

LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Nice! Do you live there or are you just visiting? 

Options
    I'm jealous! Bring one of those Tao burners home with you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, very cool.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• chashans
    Options
    chashans said:Just visiting Paqman. We have been here for three weeks. Headed back home to San Diego next week. Thanks for your comment.

Lots of pork going on here. It is hard to find beef in the market place and when you do it is of the lowest quality and very expensive. In the marketplace (Cai Rang, Can Tho) and these pictures you will find Tao Charcoal Burners, charcoal fuel, pork vendors, beef vendor, carved pineapple, French bread, farm raised rats...and more.

LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, that's cool!

Options
    DMW said:
    From the pic, it kind of just looks like the innards of an egg.  Order some Vietnamese charcoal on Amazon, maybe you'll get one delivered with it.
  • chashans
    Options
    paqman said:

paqman said:

DMW said:

Wish that I had room in my luggage DMW. Thanks for your comment.

• chashans
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Thanks for sharing, very cool.
    Thanks for your comment jonnymack!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The open markets are a fun place and tend to be a cultural shock to most Americans when it comes to food temperature and prep practices. But, I personally enjoyed the open street markets we shopped at overseas. 
    Thanks for sharing your experience here with us. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Cool pictures!  That face/eyeball one would freak some of my squeamish friends out.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • chashans
    Options
    paqman said:

:Just visiting Paqman. We have been here for three weeks. Headed back home to San Diego next week. Thanks for your comment.

• chashans
    Options
    The open markets are a fun place and tend to be a cultural shock to most Americans when it comes to food temperature and prep practices. But, I personally enjoyed the open street markets we shopped at overseas. 
    Thanks for sharing your experience here with us. 
    Thanks for your comment NPHuskerFL!

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @chashans looks amazing I am actually heading to Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and Cambodia in two weeks. Do you have a must see places?  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • chashans
    Options
    McStew said:
    @chashans looks amazing I am actually heading to Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and Cambodia in two weeks. Do you have a must see places?  
    I am a "war buff" and enjoyed seeing places that were related to the Vietnam war. In Hanoi be sure to visit the former Hanoi Hilton (prison). An overnight (or more) stay on a boat in nearby Ha Long Bay. In HCMC the War Museum and the former Presidential Palace. The former U.S Ambassador building (where the famous pictures of the evacuations were taken) is gone now and has been replaced with another building...but you still might want to stop by. I have never been to Cambodia. The people are very friendly here. Some might look at you as if you are from another planet. I simply smile, nod and say "hello" to them. That usually results in a huge warm smile from them. Be prepared for the many children that will want to practice their English and exchange "hello's" with you. Here is a Youtube video that we made on our first trip to Vietnam in 2013.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8RrbNkfxRA
    If you have more questions here is my email address. We are still in Vietnam and will be heading back to the USA late next week.  chashans@gmail.com

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @chashans No need to quote 30 megabytes of pictures my friend.  The internet just slowed down ;)
    Options
    Cool YouTube post!  Looks like a great time. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @chashans Thanks for the recommendations we hit up some of the war exhibits they were great.   I will post some pictures of our adventure later on I'm still trying to deal with reality and the time change  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks for posting those pics. I've never seen meat in an open market like that.  I like the little ceramic cookers you showed.
    LBGE/Maryland