Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

florida eggfest new toy

Options
ronbeaux
ronbeaux Posts: 988
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picture.jpg
<p />I had this made to fit in the small BGE. The guys who made it are going to make lots of them for the dealer in Baton Rouge. May also be available for other eggs as well. Once the mold is made they can get them in all cast iron without welding. Can't wait to sear some steaks or use it as an indirect device.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]I like it. What is the cost expected to be??[p]Smokey
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    Smokey,
    Well I paid $25.00 to have it made but they didn't charge me for labor since they are friends. They did say that it would probably be about the same or alittle less when the mold is made. The BR dealer is going to demo eggs next week at their store and the BGE rep will be there to check it out. I'll update as I know more.

• Smok'inCSI
    Options
    ronbeaux,:
    Let me know if and when it's going to be avaiable for me to get one, as it really looks great!!

• ronbeaux
    Options
    SmokinCSI,
    Will do. I think we are going to wear this thing out at the eggfest! Steaks, tri tip, saute' shrimp, pork loin so far, who know what all else these good egg heads will come up with!

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    Sorry to be dense, but I don't get it. I fall into the category of spatial moron.[p]From the pan going outward, the arms bend 90 degrees from horizontal to vertical. Does that lower horizontal piece rest on the fire ring? And if so, what is the function of the horizontal portion at the top of the arms? Lifing it out? Resting another grid? Must be lifters because it wouldn't be feasible to have a higher grid when you're cooking so hot and fast down below. Or do you plan to preheat the cast iron whilst cooking veggies or something up above?[p]Geez, sounds like an inquisition! sorry--curious minds and all that. I'm not usually interested in the contraptions and stuff, but this one has me intrigued.[p]Thanks--[p]Joyce

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options

OK, shut me up. You said you might use it as an indirect device, so grid rests are necessary too. Indirect though? Wouldn't cast iron get just about as hot as the fire below?[p]I hope you get a chance to take some pics![p]Joyce
    curiouser and curiouser

• ronbeaux
    Options
    Trouble,
    hope this helps:
    The ears are made to fit in the indentions in the fire ring placing the top edge of the pan even with the top of the ring. This gets the bottom of the pan closer to the fire. The ears then bend upward and back in to allow setting the grill at a level even with the gasket of the egg. They are maybe bent in a little too far, but we will find out if it matters when trying to flip steaks. the pan has an 8 inch bottom and 9.25 in top so there is about 1/2 to 2/3 inch space left all the way around it to allow drafting through the egg. A cheap throw away 8" foil plate fits perfectly to keep messes to a minimum. Using it this way will be like using the ceramic plate setter as an indirect cooking method.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]Does this, in practice, differ greatly from Chubby's GrateMates?[p]mShark
  • Colonel Pork Butt
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]your timing is amazing with this thing, Just the other night I was wondering about something like this![p]I volunteer to be the beta for a large![p]cheers.
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    ronbeaux, Dang dude, how did you weld on the cast iron. Do you have or can you get a cast iron pan that fits down in the fire ring, pan with no handle. I can show you an easier way to do this, keeping the pan just a pan, no welding to it. T

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I would be interested in one for the XL egg
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    MollyShark,
    We'll see on Saturday. The Grate Mates sure allow for more options on setup from what I've seen though. This is fixed like a plate setter. I'll bring it tonight.

• ronbeaux
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Oh man! There is no way I could weld this. My friend used rods made for welding on cast. The ears are stainless. Checkout Goodwood Hardware in Baton Rouge(google them) they have hundreds of different cast products. From ash trays to skillets the size of a car tire.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]Sign me up. I want one!

• ronbeaux, How do find a dealer to sell me one. Or could you direct me a sto how to by? BR