Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pulled Pork

Options
Hey guys! 

Did my first Pulled pork about 3 weeks ago and as of today… (2 on the egg now…) I've done 5. 

I injected this butt with apple cider vinegar, butter, worcheschire, and beer. 

I did a yellow/dijon mustard coat and rubbed it the following: 

Brown Sugar, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, chill peppers, and salt and pepper. 

Sat it overnight in the fridge. 

Woke up at 5 am and had it stable and on the grill indirect with a water pan with beer, apple cider vin, and water at 545am. 

I don t have a temp controller but I do have the maverick temp probe and my target was 275...and it sat right around 220-315 (but those were the peaks) for about 11 hours till it reached 200 internal.  

It was amazing! I made a sauce from scratch  which was apple cider vin, ketchup, worcheschire,  hot sauce, and brown sugar brought to a boil and reduced till thickened. 

I also made coleslaw from scratch with greek yogurt instead of mayo and I added in grapes with really added to the sangy! 

Here are a couple quick pics… 

Since this I bought a party Q… still not sure about it. It did help control the temp but it kicked on and off a lot. I also felt that I still had to control the daisy wheel to help it. Is it normal come to come on and blow the fan every 2 seconds for 11 hours? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I also noticed every time the fan kicked  in it seemed like the air escaped out of the venting at the bottom of the egg. I had everything as tight as I could make it so maybe it was just that it was cold out that day. 

Might return it but... maybe some tips would help. 

Cheers guys

S.HOOK

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Sounds like you're off to a great start for year and years of cooking excellence.  
    I have a Party Q as well, but do not notice it turning on and off continuously as you stated.  The daisy wheel is only slightly cracked.  Sometimes I'll have some smoke come out from around the controller, but not often.  Sometimes when a lot of smoke is going on a back draft type situation does occur.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have the DigiQ and it does the same thing a majority of the time - start - stop - start - stop.  There is enough heat that escapes from door cover that it has actually melted the silicone tab on the door.  But it gives me such peace of mind while I'm cooking low and slow overnight that I have no plans on retiring it based on these small imperfections.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Looks like a great cook to me. You are well on your way! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Yummy !
    Gambrills,Maryland

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    The butt looks great! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    And, you've committed a sin.

NO FORKS!  :o
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Man I have got to try making pulled pork. Looks awesome.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Looking good!  Since you are experimenting, you might want to try one without the water pan.  A lot of us don't think it contributes to the cook and it sure is easier without. Just use a foil lined drip pan (raised from the plate setter).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    Tip:

You can foil over the PS to keep the drippings off. Easy clean up too.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    Reminder for next time:

NO FORKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Do it!  So easy so good and leftovers can go so many ways. 
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    Looks great!  I want to try my first pork butt on the egg this weekend.  The party Q looks like a nice device let us know if it doesn't workout.  How many pounds was the butt? Curious if it followed the 1hr/lb estimate.

Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    It's the time commitment, I've been working so much lately, I can't think straight to plan a longer cook. And by lately I mean the past 4 and half years. The longest I can really focus in on is rib cooks. I think I just need to say screw it and pick a date and declare it pulled pork day.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    jonnymack said:
    It's the time commitment, I've been working so much lately, I can't think straight to plan a longer cook. And by lately I mean the past 4 and half years. The longest I can really focus in on is rib cooks. I think I just need to say screw it and pick a date and declare it pulled pork day.
    Do it turbo.  Run at 325-350, generally about an hour a pound.  I find it works best with 5-6 lb butts, some of the 8+ pounders can have bark that's a bit drier and tougher than we like, but no problems with the smaller ones.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    How many times did you open the lid while you were cooking? Be Honest
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Nothing like a good looking "butt". Great Job.

Opelika, Alabama
  • Blassiter
    Blassiter Posts: 195
    Options
    Looks great. Pork butts are so much fun to cook. It's a free pass to start drinking before the rest of the family gets out of bed. It weird, I open the dome and a cold beer pops out. I had to pay extra for that Eggsessory.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    Butts are great.  So forgiving.  Turbo, low and slow, frozen, trimmed, untrimmed, mustard, oil, dry, sweet rub, spicy rub...always tasty. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    Mmmm... I'm hoping to do one of these soon!
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Monaarts said:
    Mmmm... I'm hoping to do one of these soon!
    Dive in!  Turbo is a great one to start at like 10AM through noon and have a great dinner.  Overnighters are great if you can get drunk 2 days in a row. :cowboy: 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Squarehook
    Options
    Hey guys! 

Thanks for tips on the water pan! 

It was 11 hours for 8.5lbs. 

My bad on the fork . Better luck next time 

I have mixed feelings on the party q. It definitely helps but it's not exactly set it and forget nothin my opinion. I feel it has to keep being calibrated each cook. It is right beside my wireless Mav probe and it's always reading cooler by 20-30'degrees. I'll give it 2 more cooks ... 

Sq hook 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Hey guys! 

Thanks for tips on the water pan! 

It was 11 hours for 8.5lbs. 

My bad on the fork . Better luck next time 

I have mixed feelings on the party q. It definitely helps but it's not exactly set it and forget nothin my opinion. I feel it has to keep being calibrated each cook. It is right beside my wireless Mav probe and it's always reading cooler by 20-30'degrees. I'll give it 2 more cooks ... 

Sq hook 

Interesting find.  I use my Party Q (though not a lot) with a set and forget mentality often for overnight cooks.  Most times I actually just clip my PQ probe on the dome thermometer.   Have you calibrated the each probe to see which one is reading correctly?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site