Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New toys for the mini.

Options
2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Hibby said:
    Looks like you're all set SGH
    I'm ready brother. Now I just need some time off from work. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    @SGH  I have a plate setter..should have got the woo and stones....why did you get the Hi que? I never had issues getting it up (to temp..lol)

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• bcsnave
    Options
    SGH said:
    @SGH, I would have loved to have gotten a mini, but SWMBO said no, but yes to this.  It's called a Kahuna and does a decent job of cooking , but I know the mini would get up to temp faster and have more toys.  It is my weekday cooker for burgers, steaks, and chicken.  Gets to 400 in a little over 15 minutes.  The XL takes at least twice that and burns more lump.
    Dude, that's a very nice little rig!!

wow..for $169 its a deal

http://www.totallyfurniture.com/rta-kahuna-kh-13r.html?ref=gs&gclid=CLS6y6bIwsQCFeJj7AodxWwAPA

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    +1 on the Lodge griddle Mickey mentioned.

2.jpg 1.1M

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @SoCalTim @johnkitchens thanks for the information. My xl seems to get up to temp quickly, but if this will help I've got to have it.  Ordering it now, this form is awesome, except for the fact it's always costing me money....lol. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SGH
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    @SGH  I have a plate setter..should have got the woo and stones....why did you get the Hi que? I never had issues getting it up (to temp..lol)
    As far as plate setter versus stones, I like both. It's really a personal choice. For my large egg I have the following, plate setter and Woo, adjustable rig with a oval stone and a round stone plus the spider. That said, I use the plate setter 99 percent of the time on my large.  I really like the plate setter myself. Some seem to dislike it for various reasons but I have had great luck with it so I keep on using it. I do use my plate setter in the Woo, it makes it much easier to handle. I highly recommend getting a Woo to anyone who uses the plate setter. Also you can use the Woo without the setter for raised direct cooking. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited March 2015
    Options

@SGH Was it you that posted a pic awhile back that had the bge large CI lump grate as a heat deflector in the mini? If so, how did that work for you?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hotch said:

@SGH Was it you that posted a pic awhile back that had the bge large CI lump grate as a heat deflector in the mini? If so, how did that work for you?

Yes sir, that was me. It does fine for some cooks in a pinch but you can't run the temp quite as high as true indirect. If time is not a issue and you keep the temps reasonably low, it works like a charm. All that said, the woo and stones are a better set up in my opinion. Full coverage for true indirect and it's much lighter. I recently had to replace my fire box and ring. I can't help but to wonder if the weight of the large lump grate was the culprit. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    why did you get the Hi que? I never had issues getting it up (to temp..lol)
    I have had such good luck with the High Q on my large, I thought why not. That said, I just did a test firing on the mini with the high q installed and it makes a huge difference. Much faster up to temp. 

Status- Standing by.

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Following this post as I have not bought any accessories for the Mini yet.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• SGH
    Options
    Following this post as I have not bought any accessories for the Mini yet.
    If you don't buy anything else for the mini, at least get the woo and a stone so you can cook indirect. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Options

@SGH I have the Woo and 2 of the stones. I put the second on top of the grate for cooking Mini pizzas grandkids have made themselves.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    Hotch said:

@SGH I have the Woo and 2 of the stones. I put the second on top of the grate for cooking Mini pizzas grandkids have made themselves.

That's a awesome idea. Going to give that a try myself.

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Options

When you pick up the Lodge CI fajita plate, don't forget the wooden under liner. It makes a great place to set the hot griddle.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    I'm ordering the lodge tomorrow.

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Options
    @SGH I got my two (Great for serving up steaks warm) at AceMart Restaurant Supply.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    SGH said:
    Slacker B)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    Mickey said:
    SGH said:
    Slacker B)
    Brother I have only had one day off in 4 months. My slackness is justified!!!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey- I'm getting that carten as well. That is real nice. Thanks for posting it.

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    Options
    Hotch said:

When you pick up the Lodge CI fajita plate, don't forget the wooden under liner. It makes a great place to set the hot griddle.

I've got 2 of them for the mini and the holders...I love to get the mini with the CI 9.25 lodge griddle "hot" to get a nice mahogany crust (thanks @cazzy) ..then finish in the large egg to a sweet MR

Glenbeulah, WI

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @SGH  ... Hey brother, got a question. I got a few extra $$'s in my pocket, what do you think about a cast iron grate for my mini? Is it overkill?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.