Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need to bow my head in Shame, Go easy on me please !

Options
Wife made me go to Texas Roadhouse tonight for a dinner with her work group, it was okay but I like my steaks off the egg. :s
Gambrills,Maryland

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    They have amazing chicken fingers! I never order steak out. Used to like the ribs but not since the egg.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Options
    I admit i like the "roadkill" and fresh salad
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I have been known to eat a porterhouse or two there. :blush: 
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    No shame. I hear people say its good. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wife made me go to Texas Roadhouse tonight for a dinner with her work group, it was okay but I like my steaks off the egg. :s
    That's ok, Joe, that's called keeping peace on the home front. BUT...you did wear a disguise didn't you?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I don't mind it. For a chain restaurant its sure better then going to Applebee's or TGI Friday's. Given a choice of course I'd rather cook but sometimes the situation is unavoidable.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    There is no shame, not every meal can harness the full awesomeness of the BGE. We have to pick our battles and you sir wisely avoided an unnecessary one by pleasing the wife with your presence.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Ron, I sat in the corner ! The shame of it was they had already ordered the sirloin special for everyone and you got it either medium or well done. Even medium was a little over cooked for me.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Don't be ashamed. Think of it as getting back to your roots prior to having an egg. I remember going out and getting meals that I thought were good. Now I had rather eat at home. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
     they had already ordered the sirloin special for everyone and you got it either medium or well done. 
    Wait, what? How could anyone order for someone else and assume that they'd get either med or well steak?!?! If I was going to make an assumption on how someone would like their steak it would probably be med rare....

Really though there is no excuse for that nowadays. I cooked flank steak for 8 last weekend and just sent out a group text "how do you like your steak?" Boom, done!

....also no shame in heading to the Texas roadhouse every now and again. As stated above they're better than most chain restaurants. @Brisket_Fanatic is dead on, their chicken fingers are killer. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's one of my local accounts. FWIW their entire kitchen/prepping  and Walk In Cooler meat butchering areas are kept very clean. Good peeps there. Not a chicken finger fan. I like the Cowboy cut steak and the bread is made fresh daily. You get a hall pass on this one and besides you kept your wife happy that gets automatic points. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    No shame. Every egghead has to go dumpster diving a few times a year :s
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    It will remind you how good you really have it owning a egg.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I have a hard time paying for steak in a restaurant too.  Even when I'm on expense account I'd much rather get something that I don't cook at home either because I haven't perfected it yet, because the wife won't eat it (seafood), or because I've made it before and it's not worth all the effort when I can pay to have someone else make it and it's just as good. None of those apply to a steak though. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    I had a similar experience and know exactly what you mean!   Went to an old favorite steak house that we had not been to in a few years,  ordered the ol favorite and was left highly disappointed.   Told my wife I didn't want to be a snob,  but don't care if I ever eat steak out again because I can do it much better at home now for much cheaper.  Don't feel ashamed,  I think we just found a better way too do it! 
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You got nothing to be ashamed of!! My daughter wanted me to take her to Olive Garden for her birthday.  Talking about nasty.  Just makes me appreciate my backyard cooking even more. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Texas roadhouse isn't bad, they have enough cold beer to make me think the steak taste good and who can complain about a deep fried onion.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    You got me beat @Mattman3969
    Gambrills,Maryland

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    For me, eating steak out serves as validation of my own version produced on the egg. Nothing has come close to date. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LKNEgg said:
    I had a similar experience and know exactly what you mean!   Went to an old favorite steak house that we had not been to in a few years,  ordered the ol favorite and was left highly disappointed.   Told my wife I didn't want to be a snob,  but don't care if I ever eat steak out again because I can do it much better at home now for much cheaper.  Don't feel ashamed,  I think we just found a better way too do it! 
    I fully agree! We have a favorite - highly rated local steak house that we patronized with pleasure for over 40 years now. You know...aged steaks, starched white linen table cloths and well dressed, polite waiters/waitresses. Those trips used to cost us like $30 a visit in 1966 for the two of us which TO US was a helluva lot of money to $140 which was the last visit 3 years ago - again for just the 2 of us!

I now dry age my own steaks  egged to perfection on my BGE and enjoy staying at home! You know what? - we don't miss the starched white linen table cloth nor napkins let alone the hand reaching for at least a 20% tip! Get my drift? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    anton said:
    I have been known to eat a porterhouse or two there. :blush: 
    That is usually a good warm up for me as well while I'm waiting on the main course. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Ok since we are admitting our sins: on vacation last summer we ate at a longhorn steakhouse. I had a ribeye. For about $18, with sides, it was pretty good! And compared to a $40 steakhouse steak, I'd say a better value. 

Of course neither is on par to a good steak egged at home. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle