Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookbooks - Physical vs Electronic

Options

My wife recently finished her MBA and we are "selling" back a few of the books she needed through Amazon and they are going to be doing a Gift Card credit for the books.

There have been a few cookbooks I have been wanting to read after seeing them mentioned here, as well a few other places that I check in on now and then.  The list includes:

Smoking Meat - Jeff Phillips
Slow Fire: The Beginner's Guide to Barbecue - Ray "DR BBQ" Lampe
BBQ25 - Adam Perry Lang
Fire and Smoke: A Pitmaster's Secrets - Chris Lilly
Charred & Scruffed - Adam Perry Lang
The Meat Hook Meat Book
: Buy, Butcher, And Cook Your Way To Better Meat - 
 Tom Mylan, Michael Harlan Turkell
Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing (Revised and Updated) - by Michael Ruhlman, Brian Polcyn and Yevgenity Solovyev

I have looked at my local Library, and they don't have much in the way of a cookbook section, so checking them out is out of the question.

So the question is, would you rather have a physical copy of the book (ie. hardcover, bound...), or would you rather have it on your Kindel/iPad?  Why would you rather have it one way versus the other?

No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    Man, I tell you what, I rather have the electronic version of "practically" anything in the world.

EXCEPT cookbooks.

There is just something about cookbooks, maybe because on the "paper" kindles the pictures are not of quality.  I want an old school book that I can jot notes onto, and make rabbit ears.

Also, kitchens and non waterproof electronic devices are a bad combination.  

I say go for the real thing...

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I prefer digital for cooking, analog paper for reading.  SWMBO collects cookbooks.  I don't use recipe's like most people.  I read up on a few and make it up from there based on how I'd like it to taste. Digital lets me hop around, search and destroy.
    Options
    I have no space in my home for any more physical books .. SWMBO is already mad at me for my huge collection .. so now I only get the electronic versions for my iPad.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hardcopy for any book. I don't have a kindle or iPad but I have read books on my iPhone. Not for me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I like physical cookbooks. Everything else digital. I have a bookshelf dedicated to my cookbooks and like to think my sons would want one day to accompany my eggs
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    All of mine are handwritten, paperback books and hardback books & the majority are very old family recipes. I pick up some here and there off the internet but, I don't have any electronic recipe books.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    +1 for physical books.

My wife has a cook book (Better Homes and Gardens ... red and white checkered cover) that she acquired when we were married.  Lots of memories associated with that book that you can't get with the electronic cookbooks. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Digital for all. Since I'm a guy with little sense, I like the look up feature that an electronic device has to offer. I have a stand for my iPad mini, which makes it easy to use in the kitchen. The other thing that's nice about using my iPad is that I can search several similar recipes without having to look through five paper books.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    problem with most cooking books for me is that i can read thru them and find only a couple recipes i like. theres a few that i like because of the adventure, like ruhlmans curing book or a bread baking book, or breath of the wok but for anything i have and understanding of i just google search and adapt the recipe to my needs. for the electronic books, i dont think i could ever get into that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Most of my cook books are books, except for The BGE cook book I downloaded. It's convenient, but I prefer the real book, but the digital copy is usually cheeper. I use them more for ideas, I only follow baking recipes to a tee. Go with what works for you.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Digital media is incredibly convenient, assuming you have the electricity to use it. . I suppose I will eventually get some sort of device to use in the kitchen so I can rummage thru the 6000 recipes  I've clipped from the web over the past 20 years. Great to have search and retrieve, and they all can sit on the edge of a counter, not loading up bookshelves.

The problem is that so far digital doesn't have even a small portion of the durability of paper. I still have a drawer full of unreadable floppies in digital encoding that is no longer compatible w. any OS currently on the market. So far I have not found a digital format that is as pleasant to read as paper. If the cookbook is more than just a collection of recipes, and has lots of subsidiary info on the how and whys of cooking various dishes, I want to sit and pour over it for hours. Paper is better for that.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    All of mine are handwritten, paperback books and hardback books & the majority are very old family recipes. I pick up some here and there off the internet but, I don't have any electronic recipe books.
    I like electronic, seeing 'husker's comment made me think of all my Dad's recipes, now electronic, both scanned and transcribed, allows me to share with my friends, kids and grandkids. Family recipes are treasures and should be shared. 
    Electronic makes search and find so easy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Digital for me
    Gambrills,Maryland

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @tkleager some public library's have loaner programs from other library's. You just go on a data base a look it up. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I prefer my cookbooks to be physical, for many of the reasons already noted.  I have a cookbook stand that holds the book open to the page you are on.  I do however like to use the internet to search for new recipes, but I usually then blend 3 to 4 recipes into one, save it as a word document, and print it to use in the kitchen.  I also will write recipes on 3x5 cards that I keep in a recipe box, for quick & easy reference.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Cookbooks are mostly reference for me, meaning I don't prop them up to be followed in the kitchen.  when I need to, I'll end up writing up what I need in a word doc and printing - could be pulled from internet, or typed/edited myself from a book or elsewhere.  I like researching on the internet, but if I was to purchase a cookbook, I'd prefer a real book.  I'd rather cook from a printed 8.5x11 that I can spill on and then go modify the recipe later on my computer to be printed again another day.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I consult recipes (the data) in whatever form, I don't care if it's digital, word of mouth or paper, then I just wing it armed with that information.  Bread is a different story, I use a recipe and scale most of the time, but I'll wing that too.

I don't get too worked up about what form information is in.  Information is information regardless of the media it's stored on.
    Options
    I like electronic, seeing 'husker's comment made me think of all my Dad's recipes, now electronic, both scanned and transcribed, allows me to share with my friends, kids and grandkids. Family recipes are treasures and should be shared. 
    Electronic makes search and find so easy. 

The recipes that are family treasures make the best gifts.  For Christmas my daughter copied my mothers fudge recipe in mom's handwriting on to a flour sack cloth.  Now I have mom hanging in the kitchen with me.  A very special gift that cost very little but in my heart was priceless. :relaxed: 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Go with the real thing.  My wife takes the recipes she likes from the books and uploads them into her own little database which is searchable from any of our iOS devices. This gives you the best of both worlds.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I love both.  My biz is printed cookbooks from a digital recipe box and cookbook software app.  I try to use the online version if it's newer than my printed copy, but hate having to keep touching the iPad screen to wake it up with my greasy fingers.  The paper book or printed recipe is always right there to check.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    I like to have the actual cookbook.  I photocopy things I want to make and file them in a binder for easy access.  I also don't like to wake up my ipad or computer for every step of the recipe.  
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have printed cookbooks and a digital recipe collection. When I decide to use a recipe in one of the books, I enter it into my digital recipe database. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Totally forgot about this thread till I got the notifications today.

I did try the "Kindle" version of a cookbook from our local public library.  I found it really hard to follow on the iPad, as I felt most of the recipes were over several pages and I would have to flip back to see how much salt to add in a specific spot because it wasn't written in that part of the directions.  I will admit that this is probably more of a complaint about how the book was written vs the technology.

I will say that being able to copy and past the text into my Evernote recipe collection was nice, compared to having to scan, copy, retype errors, or retype the whole recipes.

After the cookbook from the library I have decided that for cookbooks, I want a physical book in my hands.  I placed a pre-order for Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto.  The rest, I'm going to keep electronic.  Stuff I find on here, or other sites, I CCP into my Evernote.  If I really want it electronic, I can always scan it, or search for it.  Surprised to see how many of APL's recipes are out there online in some form.

I really like using Evernote and Evernote food apps.  The food app allows me to access all my Evernote recipes, and it stays open until I leave the app.  Plus with Evernote on my phone, my iPad, laptop and work computer, I always have access to my stuff.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I prefer the books. My best cookbooks are old school church/community cookbooks that were popular during the mid 1900's in the South. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I cast my vote for real books as well. Just old and stuck I'm my ways. I don't use electronic pit controllers nor electronic books. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Hardcopy
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    With oh so many people addicted to their ipods, ipads, iphones, or droid or windows equivalents, etc.  What will happen to them when the infrastructure is destroyed via man-made or mother nature made catastrophe? 

"How do I cook, if Sirius doesn't tell me what to do?"

"How do I talk to people in person, I only know how to carry-on conversations with my two thumbs?"

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• thegooddocta
    Options
    I just built an under-cabinet mount for my iPad that has me using online recipes quite a bit. But I still love flipping through a good cookbook!
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    With oh so many people addicted to their ipods, ipads, iphones, or droid or windows equivalents, etc.  What will happen to them when the infrastructure is destroyed via man-made or mother nature made catastrophe? 

"How do I cook, if Sirius doesn't tell me what to do?"

"How do I talk to people in person, I only know how to carry-on conversations with my two thumbs?"

When my house is destroyed by fire or hurricane, the hard copy books will all be gone. The electronic one on the computer will also be gone, but can be replaced by the backup copy stored offsite. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    Most of my cookbooks are physical copies. I generally buy books that I plan to read cover to cover and learn techniques from (Harold McGee, Alton Brown...etc). For the most part I use the Internet for actual recipes and like others have said here generally adapt 2 or 3 together to suit our tastes and what's in our cabinet/fridge. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.