Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Platesetter, Hot Egg

Options
Do you have to worry about putting a cold platesetter,(wintertime cold) on an egg that is up to temp?

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Depends on how hot the BGE is .. I think you should be okay around 400°F
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Options
    I try to put it in the first 10-15 minutes of egg being lit. i've heard of broken cold PS on hot eggs, and i dont want to figure it out.
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do it regularly, but the egg is generally not warmer than 300*. 

I've assumed it is not an issue.  The platesetter is exposed to the fire directly, no matter the temp of the egg.  Some part of the platesetter is going to experience a big temperature delta the moment it goes in the egg and it is sitting an inch above the flame.  Even in the summer, that's a big temp difference.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I normally get my lump started for about 15 minutes before adding my smokewood, then the platesetter and grill, and then wait for the egg to come up to temp to cook.  I guess I am wondering why you want to let your egg come up to temp, then put in the platesetter.  It will drop your temp when you put it in cold, so you are back to waiting for the egg to stabilize again.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I do it to save time and get a little extra smoke.  With Rockwood, in a few minutes there is no VOC smell and I add the smokewood, platesetter, and food.  I catch and stabilize the egg on the way up. The food gets the smoke generated while all the ceramics are heating up. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I use the platesetter/deflector as a fail safe in case I overshoot my target temp and need to cool things a bit.
    NOLA
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    I asked this exact question a few weeks ago and had some good responses:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177439/cold-platesetter-in-a-hot-egg#latest
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    As long as the platesetter is dry, I don't see a problem putting it in after the coal is lit.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Not in metro ATL. Sub zero over time, perhaps.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I hug mine tightly for a few minutes to warm it first. :tongue: 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    DMW said:
    I hug mine tightly for a few minutes to warm it first. :tongue: 
    Legs up or legs down?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Not a problem.  I often used my platesetter stored outside at -20F after my egg was running at pizza (700+F).

I put it in right after lighting and let everything come up to temp at the same time.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Same here as Brisket_Fanatic
    Gambrills,Maryland

• forty_crk
    forty_crk Posts: 52
    Options
    I agree with get the fire going and set the platesetter asap...let them come up to temp together.  I know several that have broke their platesetters, due to the high heat.  I know the XL's had a lot of trouble early on w/ platesetters.  Each to their own though....$80sumtin for L and $120sumtin for XL a new one...
    Reed- Springhill, Louisiana