Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duke, Wings and a Oops

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
Anybody with a newborn (or who has had one) knows how challenging it can be to fire up the Egg...along with a hundred other things that you used to take for granted. Because of this, I've been relying on my pit controller pretty heavily lately. Light the fire, set the temp and go inside and do other things.

I usually try and cover my plate setter or ceramic stone with aluminum foil to keep it clean. I don't know what my last cook was on the ceramic stone (or last few cooks) but it had gotten dirty. Now this has happened to me once in the past, but I've never heard anybody else say anything about it, but last night my ceramic stone caught on fire due to grease seeping out of the stone. I don't know whether it was from setting the pit controller to a high temp (450F) which resulted in a lot of flames underneath. Maybe the stone got hot fast and all that grease seeped out fast or what. I came outside and the smoke coming off the top was really dark and nasty smelling. This is what it looked like when I opened it and tried to remove the burning aluminum foil. Oops!!

I eventually got the foil off and waited till all the grease had burned off. It was getting late, so the wings got a jump a start in the oven but eventually got finished off on the Egg. Not ideal, but we were hungry.

And here's a pic of Duke chillin' out last Sunday waiting on us to get ready to take him to see the Easter Bunny. He really is a happy boy. Smiles and laughs all the time.

If Raichlen steals this photo and claims its his boy its gonna be on!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Griffin
    Options
    I haven't uploaded pics in awhile, but I gotta say the new process sucks. And my pictures look all squished. :( Not happy.

Rowlett, Texas

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    What a cute little boy.  Mine are 11, 9 and 9 now..... :cry:  There are days I want another one but then I hear an infant cry and the feeling quickly dies.  It really is amazing how even the simplest tasks become difficult when multi-tasking. 

I've had my plate setter catch fire but it with a grid full of wings that quickly became inedible.  I'm still working on my wing technique.    

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Griffin
    Options
    Just looked on another computer and my photos don't look "Squished". Hmm? I usually go 400-450 for about 30 minutes flipping once or twice. I used to go raised direct but I feel like they get too smokey with all the fat dripping on the coals, so now we go indirect.

Rowlett, Texas

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Duke really looks like you Griff. Great to see you posting again. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Awesome Griffin!  I know exactly where you're coming from man.  It is difficult to get anything done around the house with a little one.  I used to take my little girls bounce seat out on the back deck while I did some things on the grill.  She loved being outside.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site