Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shout it from the Rooftops...KIMCHEE!

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just trying to get the attention of those who are familiar with this stuff. Traffic with Dos Huevos today about Tender-Quick got me thinking about this time-honored Korean tradition. The original stuff in Korea wasn't cooked on an Egg or Kamado. It isn't "cooked" at all but rather, buried in vessels similar to the Egg in the yards of anybody who is rich/lucky enough to have access to a yard. The concoction is then allowed to ferment and "pickle" for several months. It is actually eaten all year long and takes on varying flavor intensity as it continues to ferment (a method analogous to yogurt cultures and sourdough starters, I reckon). Those of you who know what I am talking about know what I am talking about. From a BGE application perspective, the best thing that goes with Kimchee is Khalbi and I've made my own version of it many times on my Egg. The original is done with beef short ribs that I can never get right, so my recipe originally used beef tenderloin until I got my Egg and then I learned how to use Flank steak for this dish. Will be happy to provide recipe and serving method upon request. My bigger source of excitement tonight was the continuing ponderance about how I might be able to use Tender-Quick. Dos Huevos, help me off the stage now, OK?

Comments

• NCEgger
    NCEgger Posts: 67
    Options
    WDAN,[p]I haven't had Kimchee since my visit to S. Korea. I am not sure if it was Khalbi or not but there was a fantastic meat dish that was served with lettuce and sauces that I loved. If that is what Khalbi is I would love the recipe.
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    45907068.jpg
    <p />ncegger,[p]I love Korean BBQ, but can ever remember what the dishes are called. I googled Khalbi and it asked if I ment Kalbi. There was a bunch under Kalbi. Follow the link for one example. (The pic is not from the same place as the link.)
    [ul][li]Kalbi from CDKitchen[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ ,
    except for the sugar that looks alot like nature boys bulgoki recipe. ive made his recipe a few times with sliced bottom round instead of the ribs and it comes out great in a wok

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    WDAN,
    i tried to make saurkraut once, cant tell you how it tasted as the process did not look appatizeing. it went into a compost pile. i bet that kimchee has a similar process of looking foul while it ages

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NCEgger
    NCEgger Posts: 67
    Options
    my13509_79542_1%5B1%5D.JPG
    <p />BabyBoomBBQ ,[p]I did a google search and found the dish I was thinking of. It is Bulgogi. Thanks for your help in remembering a great dish.[p]---
    Cook in frying pan until the meat is cooked thoroughly and serve with sticky rice. Korean people eat this dish with red leaf lettuce filled with rice and meat. Other items to eat with bulgogi (Korean beef stir-fry) are Korean spicy pepper paste, Korean bean paste, sesame oil mixed with salt, sliced garlic and raw green onions. These are optional and are usually placed in the lettuce leaf along with the rice and beef.

[ul][li]Bulgogi[/ul]
  • MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Kim Chee is the only regularrly availible food that I have ever found that just the smell turned my stomach.[p]I had a roommate in College that was Korean, he would open that jar and I would have to leave the room for several hours while he ate and the room aired out.
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Thanks, I'll have to give it a try. After my chilidog disappointment yesterday, I think I'll redeem my taste buds with some Korean BBQ today. It's been a while and I may get some inspiration for next weekend’s “Ribfest”.
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    ncegger,[p]Happy to help and thanks for the recipe. I'm going to hit a Korean BBQ place for lunch today. If it's memorable, I'll post some picture for you all.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    WDAN,[p]I first ran across kimchee in, of all places, Vietnam where my Vietnamese interpreter bought it on the local market. Apparently the Korean military contingents would make a little extra cash by selling the canned kimchee that came with their C-rations and we found that it made terrific relish for hotdogs and the like.
  • wdan
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Kalbi and Bulgogi are very similar in flavor, particularly due to the sesame oil. Anytime I had Bulgogi, it was served as a personal side dish or in a larger pass-around bowl. I recall that several vegetables were also mixed in with the meat.[p]Kalbi is a really neat experience. The traditional restaurant setting consists of a charcoal-burning hibatchi in the center of the table. The rib meat is removed from the bone and grilled by the waiter. You start with a large Romaine leaf (or Napa cabbage). On the leaf you put a dollup of black bean paste, a chop stick load of steamed rice, some of the meat and a roasted garlic clove. Roll the whole thing up like a cabbage roll but eat it like a taco.[p]I think you're right about the sugar. The meat flavor of the Kalbi is a combination of the sesame oil and sweetness of the sugar, along with garlic, onions , sherry, etc in the marinade. The trickiest part for me however, has been trying to duplicate the heat. In the real ones, you only notice a subtle hotness in your first few bites. But as you continue to eat, everything gets hotter and hotter. For me this always happened until my tongue and lips were nearly numb and I had literally broken a sweat. This dish was to die for and remains today as one of my all-time favorites.[p]BTW: Khalbi, Kalbi, Bulgoki, Bulgogi. It's all phonetically spelled of course, but I definitely noticed a lot of interchanging of the g's and k's when listening to the Koreans pronouncing these words. It may actually be a local dialect thing. The folks down south near Pusan seemed to speak a tad different than those up around Seoul.

• wdan
    Options
    WDAN,
    Whoops, I forgot to mention you put on a couple juliened strips of daikon radish too.

• wdan
    Options
    Master Mason,
    Without a doubt, one has to develop an "acquired taste" before one can enjoy this stuff. Kinda like scotch. lol.

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    WDAN,
    LOL.... and both have made me want to throw up more than once in my life....