Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Went to buy the Mini Max today.

Options
OK, decided it was too heavy to take camping, but it is so darn cute and practical for two people. Got to my local dealer, they had it priced the same as a medium. I was taken aback. Somehow in my mind it was going to be less. Tightwad that I am, I just could not wrap my mind around paying the same price as for a medium. I mean, it is cool, but cool don't cook any different. Left bewildered, not needing or wanting another medium. I don't need a MM either, want is another thing.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    There is another option....
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Small?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Priced the same as a medium... so why not buy the medium? If it's too heavy to take camping anyway, it's going to be stationary in the backyard, right?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Priced the same as a medium... so why not buy the medium? If it's too heavy to take camping anyway, it's going to be stationary in the backyard, right?
    Yeah, that is the thing. I already have a medium. I guess spring fever and tax refund just had me wanting to jump on the MM bandwagon. Don't need another regardless of size. Although someday I suppose I will be a multi egg owner.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    I wanted something to travel with also and got a KJ Jr.  thing is awsome. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Does food cook well when it is jammed in tight like in the pic?  This isn't an opinion, but a question.  Maybe it's my own claustrophobia, but on a grill that size I'd only be putting a couple steaks and a couple spuds.  I need to book my next psych appointment...
    Phoenix 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    ... Left bewildered, not needing or wanting another medium. I don't need a MM either, want is another thing.
    In a week you may look back and think that you were saved by the high price.  As you said, want is not the same thing as need.  I'd like a MM too, in part due to the hype on here.  Just can't say I need to spend that coin when I have 2 good eggs.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    @blasting I have only used it a few time but have had no issues with temp. I was worried when I did this cook that the sweet potatos would not be done in time. But they were over done in a little over 40 min. I figured I'd use all 15" of space. 
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    Might have to look closer at the KJJ. There is a place in Athens advertising a Georgia Bulldogs version. They are taking the blacks and reds apart and putting them back together with red top and black bottom and vice versa. Clever.
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    Might have to look closer at the KJJ. There is a place in Athens advertising a Georgia Bulldogs version. They are taking the blacks and reds apart and putting them back together with red top and black bottom and vice versa. Clever.
    I like that idea.  Do you happen to have any pictures?
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Want another smaller unit but the mm price does make sense.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Was at Wal-Mart the other day and saw a "Jumbo Joe Premium" for $68. I'd never heard of it before, but seems like it is a 22" kettle on short legs, but not right on the ground short.

Depending on what you want it for, that or a Jumbo Joe might be the right price. No, you probably won't smoke a pork butt for 16 hours without adding charcoal, but you could cook steaks, burgers, or ribs while camping.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Firemanyz said:

I'm an hour out of Athens....  What place is advertising this????  I am seeing some tailgating action here!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    You could get a small.  Almost same weight as a MM and cheaper.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Athens Marine, Bogart, Ga.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    I tried posting the ad, but it said something about having to be approved.
  • epcotisbest
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That post is resting in post hell. You can try putting it back together, save draft, then go to your drafts and save comment. Good luck. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    grege345 said:
    There is another option....
    I think you be referring to the small, correct??

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I'm with @Firemanyz, I bought a KJ jr a few months ago.  Really like it.  
    Also, check local prices and call Ace Hardware web site customer service.  I got a price $100.00 lower than local, and it was shipped free to the closest 
    Ace Hardware store to me.
    Great!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    I found the ad on their website.  That's really creative and very cool.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    DMW said:
    Was at Wal-Mart the other day and saw a "Jumbo Joe Premium" for $68. I'd never heard of it before, but seems like it is a 22" kettle on short legs, but not right on the ground short.

Depending on what you want it for, that or a Jumbo Joe might be the right price. No, you probably won't smoke a pork butt for 16 hours without adding charcoal, but you could cook steaks, burgers, or ribs while camping.
    Thank you for this suggestion. I think it will work for camping.
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    I still am glad I went with the MM, the price difference between the MM and the others is about the same as the cost of one prime packer brisket
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE