Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2015 NCAA BRACKET SIGNUP IS LIVE!!! SIGNUP HERE!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Acn said:
    Acn said:
    What current trend calls on you to pick UNC?  Wisconsin hasn't been as impressive as expected, but they've still played better than UNC.  One shot changes against Harvard and UNC loses that game, and they only managed to beat Arkansas because of turnovers and transition points that they will not get against Wisconsin.  UNC got a cake setup for a team that had 2 decent wins since Martin Luther King Day (and given how shaky UVA looked the last 2 weeks, maybe only 1 decent win) and have tried to screw it up.

West Virginia could cause some trouble for Kentucky, they'll make it an ugly game like UK/Louisville was, and while I expect Kentucky to win, if it is a 2 possession game with 3 minutes left, anything can happen.

Michigan State is definitely looking like a sleeper team, they're probably the favorites in the East now, but the tournament is still watching if Kentucky can hold serve, and if one of the 3-4 teams that could hang with them survive to face them.
    Offensive rebounding and FTA(product of dribble drives and transition). 2 things that easily get big guys in foul trouble. If Kaminsky gets in foul trouble, their offense is done, since it flows through him. Look at what double teaming him did.
    Maybe, but thats a really big if.  Kaminsky has had I think 6 games when he even got 3 fouls, and none with 4 or 5.  That same strategy managed to draw one foul on Okafor in 2 games and he is much more limited defensively and foul prone.  

I also don't see UNC getting tons of transition points; Wisconsin generally has so many guys on the perimeter they have solid coverage getting back, UNC has a bit of a rebounding edge, but not huge, and they aren't going to get nearly as many turnovers as they got in their first 2 games.
    A bit of an edge? UNC is 2nd in the country. Wisconsin is in the 200s. It's a difference of 8 boards per game, nothing slight about that. Carolina plays inside-out and generates a ton of their offense on the offensive glass. That inherently generates more fouls than a predominantly jump-shooting team. This sets up really well for UNC. 
    Not sure where you see Wisconsin in the 200s, sports reference has Wisconsin at 72, but UNC has around 10 more possessions per game.  You've got to look at tempo free stats; in Total Rebound % UNC is 10th and Wisconsin is 18th, not a huge edge.  Also, if this is guaranteed to get big men in foul trouble, why didn't it work against another elite big who isn't nearly as skilled as Kaminsky when it comes to avoiding fouls?

Look, UNC may very well win, but they were set up really well for a trip to the Sweet 16 with an overseeded Harvard and Arkansas, and they nearly managed to blow those.  Saying they're favoreed seems to a really strong statement for a team that has had 2 (although UVA by the end of the season wasn't that strong) decent wins in the last 2 months.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @acn you're putting words in my mouth. I never spoke in absolutes. Does driving to the basket and generating contact lead to more fouls than an uncontested jump shot? Yes, but it's not guaranteed.

i also never said they were favored. i just said they have a chance if they can dictate style of play. Carolina doesn't need for someone to go for 30 if they do that. Oregon did, and nearly pulled it off. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    @eggcelsior - I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I read 'how they've played' as looking at the past couple of games (and I think Carolina has had some of the weaker performances of the 16 teams remaining) rather than a stylistic comparison.  I definitely think we're at the point where if a team plays 'their game' to the best of their ability, then they can win.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Acn said:
    @eggcelsior - I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I read 'how they've played' as looking at the past couple of games (and I think Carolina has had some of the weaker performances of the 16 teams remaining) rather than a stylistic comparison.  I definitely think we're at the point where if a team plays 'their game' to the best of their ability, then they can win.
    No problem. The only team I am confident about is the Ashley Judds.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Acn said:
    No problem. The only team I am confident about is the Ashley Judds.

Agreed. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I like that undefeated team, that beat all those foreign pro teams, prior to the start of the season. After that, they have beat every college team (pretty good programs too) all season, in every style of play any coach can put into play, a lot of them pretty bad too.
    Last year, without their best 7 footer, they almost won the tournament. He is back. They are a better team it seems.
    Defensively, one of the statistical best ever.
    Defense, and depth wins championships.
    That is all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Foghorn
    Options
    Bump. 
    There are games today.

Good luck to all.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Well I called the first two games correctly and I'm up to 231st place out of over 1,000,000 entries.  And it looks like the Kentucky-WVU game is already over in the first half....

If only I had picked Kentucky to win it all...

San Antonio, TX

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Is this thread slipping away
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Large BGE and Medium BGE