Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally getting my BGE.. Advice/Tips??

What's up guys, I'm new to the site and recently purchased a Large BGE. I was looking for a little advice for the more experienced BGE users as to what accessories are absolutely essential. I'm not very good with being frugal, so I've given so,e thought to buying pretty much everything, lol. Any advice would be awesome.. I've experienced with grilling and cooking in general, very excited to get my Egg.
Large BGE
36" BlackStone
Backwoods G2 Party
Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
Professional Drinker & Home Cook

Comments

• EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Just realized how many typos there were there lol... Please disregard
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Figure out how to cook with what you have then buy the extra accessories. It's takes some getting used to.
  • EggSmokeVa
    Thanks.. That definitely makes sense.. Better on the budget too I'm sure
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I would go with this instead of the plate setter. 
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html

Maybe an ash rake and a smoke ware cap.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Thermopen. Then figure out what else you need. 
  • EggSmokeVa
    Do guys think the BBQGuru thermometer is worth the $250-$300?
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Preface:  I am NOT an experienced Egger by any stretch.  
    I am, however, a REALLY good student and find that this site has TONS of great info if you are willing to spend a rainy day digging around recipes and searching through threads about the "must have" tools and gear.  
    YouTube also has some great tutorial videos too.  Worth looking around there too.  
    I would also suggest keeping a journal.  I picked up that tip on here and go back to read and reread the cooks that worked and what didn't work so well.  

I think we can all agree that an instant-read thermometer would be a great investment before getting all crazy buying crap you don't really need.  
    I would also suggest that a plate setter / cast iron setter would be great too.  That is a must-have in my arsenal of tools.  

Save your pennies and don't go crazy yet.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • EggSmokeVa
    Thanks.. Great advice.. I like the journal idea... Could come in handy with finally starting to write down recipes as well. Thank you!
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Thermapen is awesome! I don't have any raised grid stuff, I just use a few firebricks. And I don't need to spend the money on the fancy raised grid stuff. I have no problem with the firebricks, they work great! The maverick is awesome and a must have for over nighters. The more experience I get, the less I use it for evening cooks. I do use it for steaks though. I have no stoker or guru setup, and don't see a need for it either. I can do pork butts and briskest all night no problem with a maverick. 
    NW IOWA
  • EggSmokeVa
    Nice.. Thanks for the feedback.. I'll test things out before I make the investment on the BBQGuru 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    +1 on thermopen. I believe that, and something to cook indirect. ( platesetter or AR). AR is definitely more versatile and kills two birds with one stone. ( indirect and higher in the dome), but is pricier. Worth it in my opinion. 
    GWN
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Adjustable rig and place setter was the best advice I got. If you build a table get the table nest. Welcome to the club!
  • EggSmokeVa
    Me and a buddy of mine are going to build a table for it in the next week or so... Got a fairly good deal on the Egg that included a near so l use that until we get the table done. I want to take my time on the table, I've seen some horror stories with tables gone wrong lol. I'm sure w tar is the way to go tho 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • EggSmokeVa
    A table is the way to go*** (going to begin proofreading, starting now)
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,531
    I have a guru from one of my other pits, but have found no need for it thus far on my BGE (not much fluctuation in temp).  I am not experienced as I too am new to BGE but these are the things I've used the most thermopen (everyone needs this)  and indirect setup (few options so take your pick). If you want to get a pit prob the iGrill 2 is nice and reasonably priced.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Love my digi q dx, well worth the money. There seems.to be 2 camps on the boards regarding that tool (toy).
    Seattle, WA
  • EggSmokeVa
    ryantt said:
    I have a guru from one of my other pits, but have found no need for it thus far on my BGE (not much fluctuation in temp).  I am not experienced as I too am new to BGE but these are the things I've used the most thermopen (everyone needs this)  and indirect setup (few options so take your pick). If you want to get a pit prob the iGrill 2 is nice and reasonably priced.  
    Thanks.. I will look into the iGrill 2.. Glad to see so many people saying there isn't much variance in temp. Guess I'll hold off on the guru for now
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • EggSmokeVa
    SkinnyV said:
    Love my digi q dx, well worth the money. There seems.to be 2 camps on the boards regarding that tool (toy).
    That's usually the case, I suppose. Thanks for the feedback... I'll do some research and figure it out... The digi q seems like it would come in handy.. At least from some YouTube videos I've seen
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    I would suggest learning how to control your temps manually before you consider and temp controller. 
    GWN
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited March 2015
    I'd cook what you want to cook and see what you want before you go to crazy.  The biggest things to get are a instant read thermometer (thermapen or thermopop is what I'd get) 

An indirect setup, typically most Eggs bought new come with a plate setter/ Eggconvector or what ever they are calling it now, but if you want to smoke a pork butt or something similar they are necessary at the beginning. 

A raised grid setup. You can do this for less then 20 bucks with the right size grid and some nuts and bolts, or do what many of us do and go to www.ceramicgrillstore.com and get a Adjustable Rig or a Woo. But before you do that cook some and think of what kind of things you will cook on a consistent basis.  

Depending on what you want to do with the Egg and how often you want to use it some good cast iron pots, pans and skillets are always good. 

I would seriously give it a month or so. Cook some steaks, burgers, chicken and whatever else you want to make on the grill, then comeback and ask again as to what pieces you need to accomplish what you desire.  We aren't going anywhere....

Welcome to the asylum. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Toddski
    Toddski Posts: 26
    Buy everything then try to find a place to store it like I did
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    edited March 2015
    Two things:

Use the search on this forum for how to advice and opinions- ribs, butt, spatchcock, reverse sear, etc.

Buy this book today:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Kamado-Smoker-Grill-Cookbook/dp/1612433634
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    What's up guys, I'm new to the site and recently purchased a Large BGE. I was looking for a little advice for the more experienced BGE users as to what accessories are absolutely essential. I'm not very good with being frugal, so I've given so,e thought to buying pretty much everything, lol. Any advice would be awesome.. I've experienced with grilling and cooking in general, very excited to get my Egg.
    Welcome to the madness.  

I have the cyberq and use it quite often.  Any of my longer cooks; short ribs, baby backs, spares, shoulder, brisket, etc.  I think it's worth the cost.  I'm able to cook l&s overnight and not worry one bit.  It'll hold temp to within a couple of degrees.  Far better than any oven can do.

Having the ability to monitor cooks while I am away was the kicker for me.  Shoulder not coming along quick enough?  Bump up the temp so it's ready to come off the grill when I get home.  At church and brisket still in the stall?  Bump it up.  At Home Depot and you see the short ribs coming along too fast?   Lower temp by 50.

It was fairly easy to set it up to do so but I have heard from others that weren't so technically adept and it was not as easy for them.

i I also have the adjustable rig from CGS.  All I can say is that you pay for quality and service.  It's a wonderful device that allows me to cook on multiple levels.  And it's adjustable.  Could I do it in a similar fashion with bricks?  Yep.  But the AR allows me to pull the whole unit, meat and all, off at once, which is especially helpful when rotating the protein.

I'm in Ashburn down the street from you.  There's lots of resources in our area.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Welcome to the world of egging. Take it slow with the accessories. You can easily spend as much customizing your egg as you did to purchase it.  There are several aftermarket manufacturers, so you will have alternatives for any function you are considering an accessory for. 

You need a good instant read thermometer - I prefer Thermapen.

You will probably want to be able to do indirect cooks (for pork butts, ribs, briskets). There are lots of ways to accomplish this. A BGE plate setter and an adjustable rig from CGS are two of the more popular ways.  There are others, so check the forum for discussions on this topic.

A lot of accessories make things more convenient but are not necessary. Learn to cook your favorite things first and then decide if it is worth it to you to buy something that will make it better or easier.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Below is a collection of information (some of which is mentioned above)  but in the spirit of being lazy I did not edit:  For What it's worth:
    Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm
    For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/   

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    It's a grill
    It's a smoker
    It's an outdoor oven

As a grill, you likely have all you need. Nice to have, but not necessary is a cast iron grate. I use my iron grate a LOT more often than my steel grate.

As a smoker and an oven, you need a way to block the blast of super hot air coming up from the lump. That's what the plate setter does, as well as provide a lower shelf for a drip pan.

Of course, "if you're lookin, you're not cookin' " it's not about how long, it's about temperature. You need a way to know, without lifting the lid a dozen times, when your meat is ready to eat. You should know the beef temperature for the way you like it, the poultry temperature so no one gets sick, and the pork temperature so it's not dried out.

I recommend a cast iron grate, a platesetter, and a good digital thermometer.

After that, you'll get a good idea of what else you need sometime this summer when you have some experience cooking what you like.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• EggSmokeVa
    Thanks guys! Awesome feedback
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    I agree with the Thermapen as a important tool but I would just learn how to use it and controlling the temps using the vents. Always and I can not stress this enough the best tool is teaching yourself to "Burp" the egg first before you open the lid all the way !
    Gambrills,Maryland

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I agree with the Thermapen as a important tool but I would just learn how to use it and controlling the temps using the vents. Always and I can not stress this enough the best tool is teaching yourself to "Burp" the egg first before you open the lid all the way !
    As much as we preach that, it's a lesson learned the hard way eventually. 
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]