Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Airflow under BGE - how important is it?

Options
LSU1990
LSU1990 Posts: 2
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
I am asking, because I am about to put a large BGE in an outdoor kitchen setup. What I want to do is just set the BGE in a cutout area of the enclosure sitting on a platform, i.e. it will not be enclosed by a countertop (see attached photo) . I have a table nest, but I'm wondering if this will be a stable enough base, or is it better for the BGE to sit directly on the platform. Of course, if I go this route, I will not have air circulation under the BGE, which I am not sure if that is important anyway. Thanks for any help on this. 

This photo below is not mine, and I am using it to illustrate what I am wanting to do, so I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules. Just to clarify (A) Will table nest provide enough stability in just such an application as below, and (B) If no, is it ok just to sit the BGE directly on a flat level surface (will it decrease performance). 

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You need airflow in my opinion. I don't care what mine is sitting on I would make sure that I have an air gap underneath the egg. Use a table nest if you can. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I'm an air flow advocate. Now a question for you - why is it that you would prefer no airflow? Looks? Stability? What? Maybe we can help you understand.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Earshots
    Earshots Posts: 110
    Options
    I have my xl sitting directly on sandstone with no issues.
    Tallmadge Ohio, XL and S eggs 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I think you will find that most people here recommend an airflow. I recently got a new table for my larges and put a table nest under both of them. 

• LSU1990
    LSU1990 Posts: 2
    Options
    You need airflow in my opinion. I don't care what mine is sitting on I would make sure that I have an air gap underneath the egg. Use a table nest if you can. 
    RRP said:
    I'm an air flow advocate. Now a question for you - why is it that you would prefer no airflow? Looks? Stability? What? Maybe we can help you understand.
    I do want airflow, and I have a table nest in hand, BUT I was worried that the egg wouldn't be stable just sitting on that table nest without a countertop above it to hold it and keep it from tipping. Perhaps my concern is totally unfounded, because It makes sense to have airflow under it, but I want to make sure that the table nest is a stable platform, if that makes sense. My last setup was dropped in in an outdoor island and had the countertop around it so I didn't have to worry about tipping over. Again, perhaps I'm being overcautious, but looking at the table nest, I worried that because the egg doesn't seem to sit down into it much that perhaps it could be a little wobbly. Thanks again for discussion on this topic. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @LSU1990 I get it now. You just don't want your egg to tip over and break! I totally understand that. 

I have both of my larges in a nest and when I first put them in the nest I did have a slight wobble that I wasn't comfortable with. It took a few minutes of moving the nest around, but they found their sweet spot and settled in nicely with no wobbling. 

Worst case scenario for me is that I do have the table top to "catch" mine if it fell over, but I don't think it will. I think once you get it settled into the sweet spot of the nest you will be fine. 

Since you have the nest already you should try it and just see how it feels after you put the egg in it. 

Let us know what you decide. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just to add to that- I think the egg will be just as stable in the nest as it would be sitting on a flat surface.  Perhaps a little more stable because it does have a slight raised edge.  

I have seen plenty of set ups like the one you show and haven't heard of any trouble.  However...I do wonder if you could use a couple of eye hooks and some chain just for a little extra insurance.  Or perhaps just a piece of flat steel.  Maybe you could integrate piece of steel across with hooks to hang Q tools. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I had a medium with a table nest up to 710F and was able to put my hand underneath the egg and it was just warm. Airflow is critical on my opinion. I wouldn't want an egg without one. 
  • Earshots
    Earshots Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm not an expert but what is the point of airflow unless you have it sitting on a plastic table?  Why risk it tipping over?  If you're worried about it cracking the egg mine has been on sandstone for 3 years with no issues and if it were to crack it's warranted.  Tipping over is not.
    Tallmadge Ohio, XL and S eggs 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'd lean more to having airflow / airgap under the egg.  If its aesthetics, you can make a false wall in front of the table nest.

I have seen, when googling Big Green Egg Cart, where someone took threaded rod with tie-rod looking ends that arrached the egg to the cart / table.  I have also seen where someone used a metal, I believe aluminum, band to brace the egg front and back attaching the band to the lower band as if attaching the egg mate shelves.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    LSU1990 said:
    Again, perhaps I'm being overcautious, but looking at the table nest, I worried that because the egg doesn't seem to sit down into it much that perhaps it could be a little wobbly. Thanks again for discussion on this topic. 
    And you don't think the natural shape of the egg makes it wobbly on it's own?

The table nest increases the base size a little and only lifts the weight a little, it may be a draw, but I'm guessing it might be easier to roll an egg over sitting flat on a surface as opposed to being in a Table Nest.  To tip the nest, the egg has to rise some which takes "work", and I think sitting flat, the center of mass won't have to rise as much to get it to fall over.

Maybe we should submit it to Mythbusters, they have money and can afford to break an egg or two in the interest of science.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Guess I'll try to ask my question in a different way. Last I checked a large egg weights nearly 150 pounds. It is not going to be blown over even if it is on the old feet or the metal stand. Is there an undisclosed worry such as small children you are concerned who may try to tip it over on them by climbing on it? 150 pounds does not topple over easily.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    It is paramount in importance, to answer your question. Queue everyones pics of scorched tables please, and the guy whose house burned down, please chime in, thanks.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'll chime in here. Four months in a table with only a paver. Started reading some fire threads so I bought a nest. Pulled my paver and my table was discolored already. I can stick my hand under the egg on the table nest comfortably. Not sure about non combustibles like concrete or sandstone, but no way would I sit my egg on just a paver with wood for any extended time frame.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    As a bonus, I think the table nest makes it much easier to clean out the ash by traditional means. You can get a dust pan right under the vent. I'm sure this is unintended, but did not go unnoticed by me. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

I don't think airflow is that big a deal depending on what it's sitting on.  With the setup in the original pic, I think you're fine without the table nest.

Mine sits on a concrete paver in a table with no issues at all.  

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• johnkitchens
    Options
    The opinions on it does or it doesn't need airflow are as diverse as what kind of lump is the best. It will never be settled. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    KennyLee said:

I don't think airflow is that big a deal depending on what it's sitting on.  With the setup in the original pic, I think you're fine without the table nest.

I tend to agree given he appears to have a completely stone setup. I don't think keeping all things cooler is a bad idea, even for the bottom of the egg itself. I really caution you, however. Every single person in your position had no problems right up to the point in which they did have a big problem. An egg on a paver with no air gap on a wood or combustible table is a really bad idea. I would reconsider the potential risk vs cost. No brainer. If I'm wrong, your out $35. If your wrong????
  • RRP
    Options
    KennyLee said:

Years ago I wasn't a believer either, but since my table was made of wood I did use a round concrete paver from Lowes but no green feet for a spacer. I live in Illinois where we have strange swings in temperatures. One day I had fired my egg up to 500 degrees after a cold rainy night. As I was walking away after putting on a pizza I heard a horrible CRACK and I just knew my precious egg had broken in two! Well - as luck would have it my egg was ok but that stepping stone was cracked in half. Moral to my story? The heat and moisture had to have been in competition and something had to give. I just don't understand why people think having air flow around a BGE is so bad when there are so many of us saying otherwise. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited March 2015
    Options

The manufacturer and dealer both told me it wasn't a necessity when I bought my Egg three years ago when I inquired about the feet that I thought came with it.  It was after they stopped including/selling them.  I took their word for it since it was their product and used a 2" thick paver.  I've had my Egg out of the table several times and there is not even the slightest indication of heat anywhere after several years and probably 500-600 cooks of all kinds.   

That said, even though I have a wood table, it sits on a concrete paver pool decking next to the pool and 20-30 feet away from a 100% brick home with nothing combustible anywhere remotely close to it. 

I will say that if I was cooking on a wood deck attached to a wood home (which has dangers beyond the airflow discussion), I'd probably go with a nest or some such and actually probably wouldn't have a wood table to begin with.  Though I still don't see any issues with my setup, and certainly not for the setup the OP was referencing.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    If your base is fireproof (non wood), the only downside to going direct would be having the Egg heat up the table during the summer.  Had a customer who had a stucco table with bar stools around it, the Egg created heat throughout the table.  Once he added a little table nest the heat problem went away.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Table nest, much better than sitting by itself, IMO. MBGE sits wide open in a nest, it is very stable. You can also rake the ash out better with the egg raised, pie plate slides right under it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @Skiddymarker, I spy a ash tool made from a spreader bar from an electrical rough-in fixture or the like. Backyard genius. :clap: 
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think the nest is stable enough. You can always modify the legs of the nest for added stability or friction. I believe @NPHuskerFL added some rubber feet to keep his MM from sliding in his truck. This would likely ease your concerns in this setup too. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @anton - Thanks, never been able to find anymore of this stuff other than the 12" or so that was in my steel junk bin. It is 1/2" angle, maybe two or three times heavier than drywall corner bead. It has 1/4" holes that alternate on each side. 
    Used the vise to reshape and voila, ash rake. It is sturdy enough that with a pair of channel lock pliers, I can pick up my place setter when it is hot. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!