Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Brush Being Thrown Away

Options

Be very careful if you clean your grill with one of the metal bristle grill brushes. Cooked some chicken yesterday and had one of the leftover breasts today for lunch and accidentally swallowed one of these metal bristles. Luckily it got lodged in the back of my throat and didn't make it to my stomach. After about an hour, I was able to finally get it out. Looking back at prior posts, I guess this is old news but something I was not aware was an issue.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Glad you are ok. I use a pumice stone made for the grill.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Makes for fun xrays too.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks for the PSA.  I will definitely keep an eye out for those, or maybe get a different type of cleaning tool.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Periodic reminder never hurts-especially with the recent new forum members.  Glad you had a successful outcome.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Glad you are ok! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Markzzz
    Markzzz Posts: 35
    Options
    I just put a teenager to sleep the other day for removal of a metal grill bristle from his throat.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Glad it wasn't worst! I have not used BBQ brushes for years but instead use a good quality plumbers pipe cleaner. They have thick stainless steel wire bristles firmly attached. I have yet to lose a single wire, but they do wear down. I'm just on my 3rd one in 15 years!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Wadding up alum foil is still OK,  yes?
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    That is scary, glad it came out OK Bill. I use balled up HD foil.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Markzzz said:
    I just put a teenager to sleep the other day for removal of a metal grill bristle from his throat.  
    I know what you mean (general anesthesia), but at first, it sounded like your actions were permanent.....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Markzzz said:
    I know what you mean (general anesthesia), but at first, it sounded like your actions were permanent.....
    LOL...that is the way I read it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Markzzz
    Markzzz Posts: 35
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Markzzz said:
    If my actions were permanent then it would be a very bad day for me with a lot of paperwork involved!
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I saw that once a while back on my grid and freaked.  I look it over EVERY time now after using it.  May go the tin foil ball route now.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Were we supposed to clean the grill?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    Tossing my brush tonight....
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    Just bought a billy bar. No grill brush floss for me. 
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I bought a high quality wire brush from Restaurant Depot. The picture below was posted by @RRP in another thread.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Eggerty said:
    Just bought a billy bar. No grill brush floss for me. 
    +1  
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Aluminum foil. My kid eats my food. Not worth it. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    I bought a high quality wire brush from Restaurant Depot. The picture below was posted by @RRP in another thread.
    Thanks for reposting that picture. I got busy today and didn't clarify my plumbers pipe cleaner picture post. I use the metal wire brush pictured here to clean my normal "wire rod" grates. The bristles are long, shiney and if it ever starts losing wires I believe I will see them...let alone notice it if it was in my mouth while chewing! OTOH that plumbers pipe cleaner brush is what I use to clean my cast iron grate. The latter gets down in the valley of the cast iron. Is it anal cleaning one at a time? I don't know, but it works for me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Markzzz said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    Markzzz said:
    If my actions were permanent then it would be a very bad day for me with a lot of paperwork involved!
    ....I hope that never happens to you.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I use a brick trowl. Turn it on its side for scraping and use the point for in between grate. Works like a charm.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I use a brick trowl. Turn it on its side for scraping and use the point for in between grate. Works like a charm.
    Thats a grate idea! 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    I have a vivid memory from the news last year of a related story. 

Last year on the news  I saw a woman who was critically ill because of a related infection after swallowing a grill brush wire.  I recall the dr showing the piece of wire that he removed from her intestine. 

She looked awful - really pale, weak, mostly moving just her eyes during the interview.   The reporter asked her if she was going to make it.  She said the dr's couldn't promise her that.

(maybe this story below was a different case - it refers to the esophagus)
    http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/25733759/woman-dines-on-bbq-swallows-wire-from-grill-brush
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Great reminder . . . gotta toss my old brush asap.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    There are a few cases every year in the news. God that would be awful. I found a brush at HD this weekend that's more like a wadded up ball of metal mesh, no bristles, I'm going to give it a try. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    blind99 said:
    There are a few cases every year in the news. God that would be awful. I found a brush at HD this weekend that's more like a wadded up ball of metal mesh, no bristles, I'm going to give it a try. 
    I've been eyeing those too, but now I'm paranoid, will those possibly shed a steel shaving also?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• EggPerfection
    Options
    Good Lord gang!  This is horrifying.  Glad I just bought a new brush with 3 replacement heads.
    Best - Jack
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    After reading this thread, I was thinking of the perfect tool I could invent to replace my grill brush.  Once I figured it out, I realized I already owned it.  I tried it out, along with a 6" drywall knife and it worked perfect.  Grill brush gone.

http://www.amazon.com/QEP-10020-Grout-Removal-Tool/dp/B000FK74R2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1427229713&sr=8-4&keywords=grout+removal+tool

Many thanks to Blassiter and others who brought this to my attention.
    Phoenix