Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic cuts

Options
smokinsop
smokinsop Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you remove the fat and skin from the picnics before smoking ? Done a lot of butts, never a picnic. Got a deal at 67 cents lb. Couldnt pass it up

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    smokinsop,[p]Cooking the picnics with the skin on is fine and works very well. I like to remove the skin so I can rub all of the meat and get a more flavorful (rub, smoke) meal. I save the skin and cover the meat once it reaches 150 degrees so that the meat doesn't dry out. This method works fine also.[p]Spin
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    smokinsop,
    I have done like Spin and I have also scored the skin to allow the flavor to penetrate. I did this when I used a picnic cut for Cuban Mojo Pork where the meat was marinated for a couple of days. Some people eat the skin.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    smokinsop,
    Sundown got me to try picnics a couple of years ago and I have gotten particular about which cut I choose ever since.[p]I use butt when I make traditional American pulled pork. The picnic part of the shoulder works for me when I make the Cuban Lechon Asado. I leave the skin on and cross-score it. This helps to really hold in the Mojo marinade overnight. I also use a picnic when making something of a Luau presentation. Like some others, I think the flavor of the picnic is more intense and it seems to "chunk up" better as opposed to butt that tends to get more stringy. Just MHO however.