Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is Boston Butt the only cut of meat to use for pulled pork?[p]Just curious[p]Tom

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Tom,[p]You can also use the pork shoulder for PP which many including myself prefer. [p]K~G

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Tom,
    As Kenny said, you can use the other half of the pork shoulder, which is the picnic. The butt and picnic make up a shoulder and either are good. The butt is the most often used as I understand it.[p]Tim

• KennyG, I've only done PP once and it was a butt. What about the picnic makes you like it more than the butt? Also, isn't the picnic commonly a little smaller than the butt?[p]Thanks, Frank[p]
  • Franco, must be true cauz you never hear of a man or woman with a "big picnic" 8^)

• KennyG
    porksh.jpg
    <p />Franco,[p]They do seem to be smaller in size and that's good for me. Also seem to have a bit more marbled fat and yield an overall juicier sammich vs. the butts I've done. Just an opinion, the wife doesn't let me do these very often.[p]K~G
  • Franco,The picnic will contain more muscle which will cook to a different texture.Also it will not contain as much marble fat as the butt.I think the butt section makes a better pulled pork.It is much easier to pull.The picnic section makes good sliced que.

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    SloppyPig,[p]You're dead on with your comments (no surprise). Regardless of whether the pork is sliced, chopped or pulled, it still is good eats![p]Puj

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    KennyG,
    Hey G-ster! Hope you are getting settled into your new home, and fully-equipped Qing center. Just curious as I look at your picture.....isn't that a bone-in boston butt you got there?? Or is it a picnic with the skin removed?? Sure makes me want to do one, whatever it is.[p]Fall is my favorite Qing time (or favorite time just to be outside doin' the nature boy outdoorsy type of stuff). If I get my way, humpty will be smoking heavily over the next few months.....That does it, I am going to buy some part of a pig's shoulder today.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    Nature Boy,[p]Whoops, you are correct and I posted the wrong picture. This is what happens when one tries to do everything at 100mph having stayed up too late to watch the Tribe game and maybe too many PBRs hehehe This was a nice looking hunk of meat, wasn't it?[p]RhumAndJerk has left his Mini with me for safekeeping for a month or so and I'm having all kinds of fun with it.[p]K~G

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Thanks for the replys.[p]Answered my question[p]Tom
  • Tim M
    Nature Boy,[p]Silly Nature Boy, don't you see the pizza pan?? That's another KennyG attempt at Meatza-Meatza Pizza. Kenny, you need more dough for the crust. I would cook it over 8 pizza stones at 575 for 4-5 hrs. That should get that one gig topping done.[p]hehehe[p]Timmy
  • KennyG
    Tim M,[p]I'll have you know that this is my all time favorite pizza pan and Q transport container. I bought this in 1966 while in the Air Force in California. Shucks, I wasn't even married then - scary. Lot's of sentimental value here and you should show more respect hehehehe[p]K~G

• Tim M
    KennyG,[p]Well I didn't know it was such an heirloom, perhaps you should have it bronzed. I have such a pizza pan too, it came from my bachelor days. My wife now lets me use it as a drip pan in Humpty, you're lucky yours is allowed in the house. I now bow towards Ohio and the "pan".[p]Tim >> now go cook something :-)