Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked egg!!!!!

Options
Can I still cook on this or is it ruined? No warranty bought if off Craig's list. You can only see the crack when the temp rises.  The crack isn't in the inside just the outside, and it only goes half under the bottom. Can I fix it or am I going to have to buy a new base. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    What would happen if a hot as found its way through the crack? Flammable surface nearby or a concrete patio? 

That would be my deciding criteria. If hot ash falling through wouldn't be dangerous, I would cook on, otherwise fashion an ash pan with a metal garbage can lid, etc before continuing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Collins87
    Collins87 Posts: 50
    Options
    Sorry here is a picture.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I will suggest something but have no idea if it will work. Clean out egg completely. remove all inner parts and make sure all dust is gone with damp rag. fill crack with some non toxic filler. Im sure the crack isnt open but sealing the crack would be important to me. Now I would find a pizza stone that would fit in the bottom. place firebowl on top of pizza stone and assmeble like always. Yes the pizza stone is going to raise everything a bit but i think it will get you by until you get another base. Just a thought
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No bueno amigo. Looks like a base is in your future. When safety of family and property are questionable I wouldn't chance it if there is doubt of fire safety. That gap is no joke. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I would be willing to bet that if you take a shop vac to the inside of the egg, you'll reveal that the crack goes all the way through. I would recommend getting a new base ASAP. Not work the risk of something bad happening.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Concrete patio? I used my mini base cracked for 6-8 months no issue fwiw.
    Seattle, WA
  • Collins87
    Options
    Nope I cleaned it out is doesn't go through. Not saying it won't eventually go all the way through. I was thinking about putting some silicone on it. Maybe it will make it last. Yea it's on a patio. I bought this egg yesterday for $400.00 person said it was fine man I looked that thing over so good. You can't see it unless the egg is hot. How much is a new base..
  • Collins87
    Options
    Do you think there is anything bge will do for me. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Collins87 said:
    Do you think there is anything bge will do for me. 
    I dont think so. Unfortunately thats the problem with the non-transferable warranty. 

Little Rock, AR

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Just use it, don't do pizzas or clean burn and I'm sure you will be just fine. Keep an eye on it occasionally. I'm sure my mini base would still be fine and the crack was clean through.
    Seattle, WA
  • Collins87
    Options
    Sounds good I will just go till it's worse. Thanks for all the help..
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Just keep an eye out on craigslist or ebay or wherever. Bases come up for sale from time to time. 

Little Rock, AR

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Why not try talking to the person you bought it from to see if he was the original owner of that egg?  If so he may be able to help you. Just a thought. 
  • Collins87
    Options
    O know I'm done with Craig's list everything will be new from now on.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Ive seen a base in the box for a hundred bucks in the past. I'd sure keep an eye out. 

Little Rock, AR

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Pull up the online BGE warranty and read it carefully ... especially item 11. 
    Knowing what BGE has promised an egg owner will help if you end up going to them and asking for extra help.

Your first step should be to go back to the seller and find out if they bought the egg new and registered it.  If so, then they are the ones who will have to approach BGE for a warranty replacement.

If it's never been registered and they have the original sales receipt, then get the receipt and register the egg under your name.  If I read the BGE warranty - item 11 - correctly, that's a legitimate option.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Collins87
    Options
    Yea I already ask the seller they said Nope you bought it as is. I bought this thing last night you think they would willing to try and help out. I think they new it was cracked. I don't get people sometimes. O well lesson learned.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Collins87 said:
    Yea I already ask the seller they said Nope you bought it as is. I bought this thing last night you think they would willing to try and help out. I think they new it was cracked. I don't get people sometimes. O well lesson learned.
    That is a bummer.  At least you made the effort to contact the seller.  The rest is on him, not you.  Hang in there.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• roofsc
    roofsc Posts: 53
    edited March 2015
    Options
    don't use silicone, find some potters clay or some type of fire caulking to fill crack.  the heat will cure the clay.  lots of sites for repair
     http://www.grillandbarrel.com/the-grill/2009/7/13/ceramic-repair-on-a-big-green-egg.html
    http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/6326-how-i-fixed-my-cracked-egg/
  • Collins87
    Options
    I cooked some Comfort food on my mediumd egg today Going to talk to a dealer tomorrow cross your fingers he gives me a good deal.  
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    How'd you get the food to stick upside down like that? ;)
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Collins87
    Options
    lol it takes a special skill set.
  • Collins87
    Options
    Hey where did u get those custom handles
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    I emailed that one guy, someone's dad on here and inquired about a year ago.  The quote was a decent price but my interest was too late because I guess there was some hot water with the trademarking of some of the teams.  So, I ordered some goodies off the net and just made it work.  Really wanted an LSU handle but didn't want to get the guy in trouble.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options

My vision kub was delivered with a crack all the way from the felt line down to the base and around the bottom.

The company gave me a full refund and I held onto it for the postal inspector for their insurance claim. A year later, nobody asked for it.  I used JB Weld on it and have been cooking on it since last summer and it's been fine.  No leaks.  No additional cracks.  The thing gets used one or twice a week.  Longest cook has been chicken indirect for an hour.  No pizza nor overnight low & slow.  It is only a 10 inch grate...

If it was me, I would use JB Weld on it and keep an eye on it.  The hot charcoal is directly touching the firebox.  Heat rises from the coals to the grate and out the top.  I don't think the base would reach the temps beyond what JB Weld is rated at.  At least I haven't seen any problems the last 8 months.  Things may work differently on the Larger grill vs my tiny little one.  Just my 2 cents.

st summ

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Prior to just 'slopping' something like JB Weld on the crack, I'd ENLARGE it with a dremel or some FINE grinder.   My neighbor loaned me his grinder with a diamond wheel and I cut FIRE BRICKs in half with it, no problem.
    That way you'll ge penetration INTO the crack and better 'stick'.

Go REAL slow no matter what you use.   THAN fill the crack.  

Maybe that copper sealant that I've seen used for the dome seal?  That should take 400c and be MORE than adequate.

And the guy that sold it to you?   A real RAT.   If I bought a new piece, I'd be sure to give him his OLD one back.  thru a window.  
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I've seen a few Eggs crack that were using the ceramic feet. Buy a table nest.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA