Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mr. Toad's pork loin

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for some words of wisdom on Mr. Toad's pork loin. We're having some folks over on Friday and this is a recipe I've wanted to try for some time. [p]The recipe is open to many variations. Without sounding like too much of an amateur - approximately how much dried fruit & cashews should be used? Where does one find "fresh" dried fruit? How and to what extent do you "pound" a pork loin? Lastly, what kind of cooking time can I expect for a 4lb pork loin (stuffed) @ 300 degrees?[p]Variations are welcome! I really enjoy reading the forum and know the expertise out there will result in a great cook on Friday - Thanks in advance![p]Wade
[ul][li]Mr. Toad's pork loin[/ul]

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Wade:[p]I would stay away from Mr. Toad's "Fly" version of this cook . . . You and your guests will be disappointed.[p]Regardless of your final cook selection, the internal temperature is important. Overcooking will ruin this superb dish.

• Wade, good choice for company because it is SOOOO good and SOOOO visual when served - you'll be thought of as a gourmet chef by your spouse and guests for sure! A few answers to your questions:
    Personally we like apricot perserves and dried apple slices, dried cranberries and whole cashews. Any natural food store will have the dried items.
    Pound the meat pretty good using a kitchen meat maul.
    I "butter" all internal sides of the meat with the perserves and then cover the meat with a level distribution of the apple, cranberries and cashews. Again it's personal but I make sure I cut out any dried apple seeds.
    As for your bacon it is best to have smoked it before hand as it will give you more taste and more "wrapping" durability. (I keep a pound of smoked bacon in the freeze all the time for this and pizza.)
    Use kitchen twine and a helper to get it all tied up because when you pull it together it wants to ooze out so make sure your bacon strips are laid so as to cover the layered edges.
    As for smoke I find apple chips give a pleasant taste.
    As for temp go by the internal guide.
    Trust djm's statement that you don't want to over cook this, my polder was in the process of dying one time and I didn't know it and...well it was enough to make a grown man cry...but when done right you'll "cry for happy" also! Good Luck and let us know the outcome. ^oo^~

• Perhaps a note of clarification is in order...when I said a layer of the fruits etal I didn't mean a layer of each but instead place your apple circles down first and then fill the open spaces with cranberries and nuts. Also when I mentioned the smoked bacon I meant to say hickory smoked that you do yourself it just addes another twang to this great meal. Mr Toad himself suggests the combinations of fruits etal are endless, but for a first timer I can assure you that you won't go wrong with my suggested combo. Good Luck! ^oo^~
  • one feral kat,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the very detailed message. I was about to "chicken-out" of the cook and I've already began to thaw the pork loin. I do have a polder - what would you suggest as a good internal temp and what's been your experience on cook times @ 300 degrees. I'm looking forward to friday as this is a recipe I've been wanting to try for some time. Any suggestions on side items? Thanks![p]Wade

• one feral kat,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the very detailed message. I was about to "chicken-out" of the cook and I've already began to thaw the pork loin. I do have a polder - what would you suggest as a good internal temp and what's been your experience on cook times @ 300 degrees. I'm looking forward to friday as this is a recipe I've been wanting to try for some time. Any suggestions on side items? Thanks![p]Wade

• Wade, 300 dome and 140 internal. For your 4 pounder that will take about 2 hours - then of course count on sitting time of at least 15 minutes so that will give you a little wiggle room. As for sides...with this time of year acorn squash is great and will add even more color to your gourmet
    appearance. Topped off with butter, maple syrup and some pecans would be a winner. And or another side would be 100% wild rice. Good Luck ^oo^~ ps check your email in a couple minutes

• The Colonel
    Options
    Wade, I'm sorry I can't answer all of your questions. All I know is I have been with Mr Toad on many occasions and have enjoyed this treat to the fullest. All I can say is go for it because there is nothing better.
    yours in the egg--The Colonel