Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sandwich Pepperoni

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Posting this so as to not step in uninvited on the pizza thread @Que_n_Brew started this morning. I've been using this Boar's Head sandwich pepperoni on my pizzas for a while now. It is far more tasty than that Hormel brand. I just ask for X number of thin pieces to be cut at the deli.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    me too!  :)
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've never had deli counter pepperoni. I prefer the smaller diameter stick and I slice it myself. Margherita brand is tasty. Never Hormel. Love the way it cups and the charred edges. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Michael, is that Margherita brand regional out East? I'll try to find it this week.
  • RRP
    I just did some research and found this link. Looks like I was on the right track for Boar's Head but the smaller natural casing instead. The link:
    http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/taste-test-pepperoni-sticks.html
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RRP said:
    Michael, is that Margherita brand regional out East? I'll try to find it this week.
    Don't know, Ron. Never looked for it elsewhere. Boars Head is supposed to be good too. 

just saw your Slice link. That's the stuff. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Ron I use the same Boar's Head pepperoni !
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Boars head meats are good eats. Every Christmas my brother gives everyone boars head care packages.. Nice treat
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    I've never had deli counter pepperoni. I prefer the smaller diameter stick and I slice it myself. Margherita brand is tasty. Never Hormel. Love the way it cups and the charred edges. 

This looks Awesome and Wow! I slice and par cook my pepp
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • RRP
    edited March 2015
    Just so happened I went to our local Kroger deli where I have been buying the 3" Boars Head sandwich pepperoni sliced thin. When I started to describe the high rating I read about the BH traditional pepperoni in natural casing she said follow me...and down at the end of the deli in an open air basket was a dozen of them! BTW no refrigeration is needed until opened and they are gluten free. The sealed tube is about 10" long and only cost $4.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Our favourite is the bigger slices.....

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Love the bigger slices
    McKinney, TX
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    I too used the Boar's Head sandwich Pepperoni for years, until I stumbled on their shelf stable stick of pepperoni.  It is excellent!
  • RRP
    edited March 2015
    nlovold said:
    I too used the Boar's Head sandwich Pepperoni for years, until I stumbled on their shelf stable stick of pepperoni.  It is excellent!
    Thanks! If you scroll back up this thread I posred a link that evaluated several brands and the results were that this Boars Head natural casing was the winner for using on pizza! Looks like we found a winner, huh?
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Boar's Head is a very good company. The only brand we buy of prepared meats. They were one of my customers and are very serious about food safety. Every time I entered one of their plants, I had to "suit up" like I was going into outer space. They have sanitation pools on both sides of each opening going from room to room and that's just a start. Highly recommended. Their spicy mustard and horseradish sauce ain't too shabby either.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Ron, do they have italian markets out there, i just go there and buy the white moldy stuff sitting in the counter. i stopped buying the supermarket stuff along time ago because it wouldnt cup right, just laid flat and wouldnt pool up with the tasty grease puddles
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it