Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I do something wrong?

Options
Was cooking T-bones and after cooking them for a few minutes, I took them off and cranked the heat up to 600 to sear. I think I burped it, but when I opened the lid I had a massive flame up. Luckily I still have my eyebrows and clothes didn't catch fire. Is this normal, or did I do something wrong?
Atlanta GA. 

Comments

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Lol, at high temps, a flare up is common, I wear long cuff welding gloves just to open egg at those temps, always burp carefully, let flare up occur before opening lid all the way, and you should avoid a 911 call for the most part.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hee hee. You have to hold the dome open an inch or so till you hear the whoosh or you'll lose some hair. Don't ask how I know....
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Toughen up Buttercup....after a while you will get used to it.
    That is funny!
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Hee hee. You have to hold the dome open an inch or so till you hear the whoosh or you'll lose some hair. Don't ask how I know....
    Definitely all about the woosh...you have to learn that. I'm very patient when opening the EGG
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    edited March 2015
    Options

Did you still have the daisy wheel on? If so just never use it for anything over 300f. I have my egg flashed on me and I screamed like a **** and slammed the lid down. Thought I broke the egg. Haha

oh and welcome to the club

St. Johns County, Florida
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here's the Naked Whiz Flashback video.  I'm a huge fan of this video.  As are my hairless fingers and forearms.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    That happens to me when I raise the lid after closing down the bottom vent. The lump was burning at a steady air volume, then it got starved for air. When the dome gets opened, that rush of air re-ignites that starving lump and jumps out to get to the air. IF your arm is in the way...

Just get in the habit, no matter what temp you're using, to lift the lid an inch, hold it there for a second... then raise it.

It's a good habit. Now go rent the movie "Backflash" for a better explanation of why you smell burned arm hair.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.