Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2015 NCAA BRACKET SIGNUP IS LIVE!!! SIGNUP HERE!!

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    That's payback for what they did to Duke a few years ago.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    hmmm... shouldn't this go under an "I don't care" thread??  ;)

• Foghorn
    Options
    It seems that two more people have joined our group today - and one of them is in first place. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Wow- im just coming to after that one.  Cardiac Pack
    Greensboro, NC
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Yeah, @Wolfpack, that game was a great win for the pack.  Congrats.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    ACC is now 9-0.  I don't see that continuing all day on Sunday.  I just hope it's not Duke that is responsible for breaking the streak. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Looks like UVa is going to break the streak.

San Antonio, TX

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Looks like UVa is going to break the streak.
    Terrible officiating. Refs think they're the players. Hate it when refs try and influence the game....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Foghorn
    Options
    UVa is getting quite a few trips to the free throw line.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    And the refs didn't make Virginia shoot 1/13 from three.

San Antonio, TX

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    UVA horrible shooting. Getting hacked though   - those desperation potty shot heaves under the basket didn't go in once. 50 points in a game is despicable 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Foghorn
    Options
    It doesn't appear that many people picked Wichita State over Kansas.

Any predictions on upsets in the Sweet 16?

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    It doesn't appear that many people picked Wichita State over Kansas.

Any predictions on upsets in the Sweet 16?
    Wichita State, Michigan State, and UNC. Maybe NC State.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Are those the picks on your bracket?

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Are those the picks on your bracket?
    No. I haven't done a bracket in a few years. Just objective observation on current trends.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Michigan State should never be counted out.  I've always liked Izzo's teams.  They go after loose balls like hungry wolves pouncing on meat.  It's a different version of 40 minutes of hell than what Arkansas used to run, but it is a grueling 40 minutes.

San Antonio, TX

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    It has been a fun tournament for sure, and my destroyed bracket is proof of that.  I dont think you can count anybody out at this point but it still looks like Duke and KY are the teams to beat.  As much as I hate to say that. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Michigan State should never be counted out.  I've always liked Izzo's teams.  They go after loose balls like hungry wolves pouncing on meat.  It's a different version of 40 minutes of hell than what Arkansas used to run, but it is a grueling 40 minutes.
    Yep. Also, WVU could give Kentucky trouble if they make their shots. They are quick enough and always have their hands moving. I highly doubt it. Kentucky is on a different level this year.
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tz666 said:
    ha i suck
    I have a buddy who works for a website called hotels.com.  Maybe you've seen him on some recent television commercials.  His name is Captain Obvious.  Anyway, he said that had he known all the teams that would win, at  the time he was filling out his brackets, he would have picked them.

There was something quite profound--or maybe 'obvious'--in his comment. :)

P.S.  I'm in the same boat as you.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Duke West Virginia rematch in Indy would be interesting. I'm honestly hoping for Kentucky though...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Duke West Virginia rematch in Indy would be interesting. I'm honestly hoping for Kentucky though...
    Why? Did you pick them to win your bracket?
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @tz666 and @mahenryak, you can take comfort that you are picking against an elite group.  The average score in our group is 79th percentile against the nation.  Apparently we are pretty basketball savvy.

San Antonio, TX

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @tz666 and @mahenryak, you can take comfort that you are picking against an elite group.  The average score in our group is 79th percentile against the nation.  Apparently we are pretty basketball savvy.
    Very good to know.  That's impressive.  Shifting gears, a bit, I came across the link below regarding sweet 16 vegas odds.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25119132/ncaa-tournament-sweet-16-odds-and-betting-lines

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Foghorn
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    Foghorn said:
    Very good to know.  That's impressive.  Shifting gears, a bit, I came across the link below regarding sweet 16 vegas odds.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25119132/ncaa-tournament-sweet-16-odds-and-betting-lines

I don't gamble, but looking at those odds, I would think that Notre Dame +1 and Duke - 5 would be bets with pretty good odds.  My guess is that you would have a 60% chance of winning each of those bets. 

Wichita State is good, but there is a reason they are a #7 seed. They could easily win that game but I just think they would only win 3 or 4 out of 10 against Notre Dame.

And Duke could lose to Utah, but the most likely scenario is a reasonably (8 points or more) comfortable Duke victory.

San Antonio, TX

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    What current trend calls on you to pick UNC?  Wisconsin hasn't been as impressive as expected, but they've still played better than UNC.  One shot changes against Harvard and UNC loses that game, and they only managed to beat Arkansas because of turnovers and transition points that they will not get against Wisconsin.  UNC got a cake setup for a team that had 2 decent wins since Martin Luther King Day (and given how shaky UVA looked the last 2 weeks, maybe only 1 decent win) and have tried to screw it up.

West Virginia could cause some trouble for Kentucky, they'll make it an ugly game like UK/Louisville was, and while I expect Kentucky to win, if it is a 2 possession game with 3 minutes left, anything can happen.

Michigan State is definitely looking like a sleeper team, they're probably the favorites in the East now, but the tournament is still watching if Kentucky can hold serve, and if one of the 3-4 teams that could hang with them survive to face them.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Acn said:
    What current trend calls on you to pick UNC?  Wisconsin hasn't been as impressive as expected, but they've still played better than UNC.  One shot changes against Harvard and UNC loses that game, and they only managed to beat Arkansas because of turnovers and transition points that they will not get against Wisconsin.  UNC got a cake setup for a team that had 2 decent wins since Martin Luther King Day (and given how shaky UVA looked the last 2 weeks, maybe only 1 decent win) and have tried to screw it up.

West Virginia could cause some trouble for Kentucky, they'll make it an ugly game like UK/Louisville was, and while I expect Kentucky to win, if it is a 2 possession game with 3 minutes left, anything can happen.

Michigan State is definitely looking like a sleeper team, they're probably the favorites in the East now, but the tournament is still watching if Kentucky can hold serve, and if one of the 3-4 teams that could hang with them survive to face them.
    Offensive rebounding and FTA(product of dribble drives and transition). 2 things that easily get big guys in foul trouble. If Kaminsky gets in foul trouble, their offense is done, since it flows through him. Look at what double teaming him did.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Good point @Eggcelsior.  Kaminsky is definitely the key to Wisconsin having a shot at Kentucky.  When I picked them to win that game on my bracket I have to admit that I was more hopeful than analytic...

San Antonio, TX

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Acn said:

Offensive rebounding and FTA(product of dribble drives and transition). 2 things that easily get big guys in foul trouble. If Kaminsky gets in foul trouble, their offense is done, since it flows through him. Look at what double teaming him did.
    Maybe, but thats a really big if.  Kaminsky has had I think 6 games when he even got 3 fouls, and none with 4 or 5.  That same strategy managed to draw one foul on Okafor in 2 games and he is much more limited defensively and foul prone.  

I also don't see UNC getting tons of transition points; Wisconsin generally has so many guys on the perimeter they have solid coverage getting back, UNC has a bit of a rebounding edge, but not huge, and they aren't going to get nearly as many turnovers as they got in their first 2 games.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Acn said:
    Acn said:

Maybe, but thats a really big if.  Kaminsky has had I think 6 games when he even got 3 fouls, and none with 4 or 5.  That same strategy managed to draw one foul on Okafor in 2 games and he is much more limited defensively and foul prone.  

I also don't see UNC getting tons of transition points; Wisconsin generally has so many guys on the perimeter they have solid coverage getting back, UNC has a bit of a rebounding edge, but not huge, and they aren't going to get nearly as many turnovers as they got in their first 2 games.
    A bit of an edge? UNC is 2nd in the country. Wisconsin is in the 200s. It's a difference of 8 boards per game, nothing slight about that. Carolina plays inside-out and generates a ton of their offense on the offensive glass. That inherently generates more fouls than a predominantly jump-shooting team. This sets up really well for UNC.