Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first time smok'n chops!

Options
LakeSmoke
LakeSmoke Posts: 1
New to BGE and smoking. Thought I would learn on the best so I went out and picked up a large egg. I wanted to do some 1-1.5 inch pork chops but wasn't sure if there are any benefits to slow and low for chops. Most of the posts I read seem to do a 350-450 range. My plan was to do 3 hours at 250. Is that a bad idea? Thanks for any help and for talking simple to me, I'm a little slow with all the acronyms!

Comments

• HostileHarry
    Options
    I like to brine in 4 hours in water, sugar, salt if you have time... If not enough time, no big deal. You can marinate or dry rub for an hour or 2. 

I like to reverse sear thick chops. Get a fire going to about 275 with the plate setter legs up. Place chops on and cook to about 130 and pull them off and rest them. Get the fire going nice and hot around 550-800. Then put chops back on to sear them about 2 min per side (depending on how hot you got the egg). Double check temp (145 is what you want) and then let them rest for 10 minutes. 
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • HostileHarry
    Options
    I forgot to add that I don't use any wood for chops. You can, but i keep it fruity like apple wood and only a chunk and make sure it's 'blueish' and not heavy white. 
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'd do 'em direct at about 350º until the internal temp reaches 140-145º.  Remove and let rest several minutes.  Internal temp of the meat is the key with pork chop and most other "grilled" type meats.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    Options
    I also do them direct
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome, really doesn't matter what temp or method to me on chops, just don't over cook!  I pull no higher than 140 IT
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I treat pork chops like steaks. Thick chops get a reverse sear. Low indirect heat until about 120°. Direct heat close to hot coals until the outside has a nice crust. Make sure not to let the interior get above 145°. Had pork chops last night for dinner.. 
    image.jpg 1008.8K
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.