Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

should rubs be made or bought?

Options
2»

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have one recipe from an old Steven Raichlen book that I  really like and use a lot on pork.  I am also a big fan of Clunk n Squeal.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If store bought works for you, that's one option.

but if you want to be sure of what is in your rub, i.e. no MSG (or inosinate & guayanates), less salt, etc.  then it can be worth your time to make your own and invest in one of these.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Hawg Fan said:
    Okay, this thread is getting weird.  Cazzy, can you true it up.
    this should be on page 2 as well.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    ^^^^ C'Mon summer! 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    ^^^^ C'Mon summer! 
    Was doing service out at the beaches and it may be the first day of spring but, swimwear is in full effect already. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jonesryand
    Options
    Meat Church is outstanding!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    ^^^^ C'Mon summer! 
    Was doing service out at the beaches and it may be the first day of spring but, swimwear is in full effect already. 
    It's getting sundress season too! 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Right now I use store bought rubs, because I most of them have won championship's in bbqing meat and want to see how they taste.  Most are pretty good, now my B.I.L has a pretty good rub he makes, but won't tell me what's in it.  Being KC, there are a lot of good ones to choose from.  I have one that is for pork, but is great for chicken too.  Some day when I get low or stop buying I may make my own.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • mick7607
    mick7607 Posts: 85
    Options
    Usually make my own but I ordered the sampler pack from Dizzy to experiment. Pretty good deal for $7, shipping incl.
    Laurens,SC
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    How many times have I made the "perfect" rub only to forget what I put in it, and how much of each ingredient... that's what the store bought stuff is for, consistency.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Being lazy and finding it not that much cheaper for some ingredients I buy mostly Dizzy Pig rubs. They work for me and I don't mind supporting someone who has more ambition then I do. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    often just throw together a few tablespoons of rub for whatever i'm making.  made a shaker of dinosaur BBQs all-purpose red rub for easy use, I highly recommend it.

I like to make them to control the freshness/quality of spices and the amount of salt.  the downside is i rarely write down exact amounts so it's hard to reproduce them.

the addition of decaf espresso, as popularized here by mickey's rub, has been the biggest change for me recently.  holy sweet mother of all that is good, give me that stuff on a tri tip any day.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    If you make it at home, how do you keep it from lumping?
  • Zmokin
    Options
    stompbox said:
    2 ways, one, only make enough for what you are doing so it never sits around to clump up.

two, add some raw dry rice to it, as long as your shaker holes are smaller than the rice kernels, the rice will absorb moisture and provide a "rock" to break up small clumps that may still form, but they won't come out of the shaker.  I always have rice in my salt & pepper shakers.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    stompbox said:
      I portion it out into individual bags of a cup to a cup and a half and then vacuum seal them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    stompbox said:
    Keep it dry in a sealed container and whatever you do, resist the urge to add dihydrogen oxide.  Shake it like a money maker if it clumps up before using.  Or put your fingers in there and do the "things" to it, guys.
    Options
    I'll just add MeatChurch as my opinion on the post. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    stompbox said:
      I portion it out into individual bags of a cup to a cup and a half and then vacuum seal them.
    Another tip is if your rub includes sugar use turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw) instead of brown sugar.  Brown sugar is the worst IMO for dry rubs.  Great for cooking when you melt it, but in a rub it is a PITA. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Agreed on the brown sugar - it's basically sugar mixed with molasses - which makes it too "wet" to add to dry ingredients for storage.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Zmokin
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Agreed on the brown sugar - it's basically sugar mixed with molasses - which makes it too "wet" to add to dry ingredients for storage.
    Yep, exactly what he said.  I use brown sugar in marinades, not in rubs.

And the suggestion for raw sugar is a good one also.

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    edited March 2015
    Options
    We use a lot of the Dizzy Pig rubs, but stole the coffee rub recipe off this forum!

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Zmokin
    Options
    I guess I don't mind being inconsistent when it comes to cooking, I don't mind a little of this, a lot of that, no problem if it isn't the exact same all of the time.

I know baking you have to be a lot more precise to achieve the desired result, so I guess that is why I don't do much baking.

• Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    Options
    Penzey's English prime rib rub is phenomenal! I like to buy rubs so when I find one I like I know what I am getting and I'm also lazy. 
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL