Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE - Smokeware Cap

Options
A few months ago, someone on the forum indicated that he was going to try make a production run of "Smokeware" type caps for the small BGE.  Does anyone know if that ever got started?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Rumors for some time now. With the eventual release of the Mini Max it might spark it back up.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I recall that thread since I participated in it. I specifically have chatted with Matt who is the co-owner of the SmokeWare company and he steadfastly has said there hasn't been sufficient demand to warrant the expensive tooling cost to produce them. As Darian said above maybe he will change his mind now with the addition of MM.

Furthermore in that same thread someone else said they had a buddy in the sheet metal business and he was going to see what he might be able to fabricate. I don't recall any follow up posts since then. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HostileHarry
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea if a Mini Max smokeware cap is in consideration?
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Don't count on it. Spoke to him directly out at Jax Beach. The money it would cost to retool for production would NOT offset the projected sales. There is a way to mod the existing Smokeware and he was going to email me details on this. I'll check with him next week on this. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea if a Mini Max smokeware cap is in consideration?
    I don't have a clue, but if they did make one then it would fit both the small and the new Maxi. What Matt told me was the development and tooling expense was staggering and there just hadn't been sufficient demand. OTOH why not call SmokeWare and ask for yourself! Matt is a great guy to talk with. Tell him hi for me! Ron Pratt
  • HostileHarry
    Options
    Thank you @NPHuskerFL and @RRP. I just fire up my MM and finished cleaning my Smokeware for the Large and came on the Internet to order one for the MM. BTW @RRP Easyoff worked perfectly (read your cleaning thread). I can't believe how well it worked.

I can totally understand the cost and if demand isn't there Matt won't want to take the financial gamble. Modding the current one, eh? I'm very interested in hearing more...
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If it's raining I just set my SS cap on top of the small. It's not perfect and slides around when you open it, but it keeps the rain out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    Options
    DMW said:
    If it's raining I just set my SS cap on top of the small. It's not perfect and slides around when you open it, but it keeps the rain out.
    Yes that works, but if you don't have a SmokeWare cap then a simple roof vent cap for under $10 also works.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Maybe they could come up with an adaptor kit or something. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    So how much difference in size is the mini to the large in cap size.  couldn't you just by the smokeware cap for the large and put 2 or 3 layers of felt on it to make it seal?  Just a thought.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    So how much difference in size is the mini to the large in cap size.  couldn't you just by the smokeware cap for the large and put 2 or 3 layers of felt on it to make it seal?  Just a thought.
    I assume you were referring to the Maxi-Mini and not the mini. The outer diameter difference is over 1". That would take quite a bit of gasket layers, plus it would probably be a sloppy fit. 
  • Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    Options
    I would love one for my small and a kickash basket but no one seems to make anything for the small. As stated above, hopefully the popularity of the MM will change that. 
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
    Zmokin said:
    I assume you were referring to the Maxi-Mini and not the mini. The outer diameter difference is over 1". That would take quite a bit of gasket layers, plus it would probably be a sloppy fit. 
    I guess I was just referring to any of the small ones that don't fit with the large ASIS.  If it's a big difference, I guess you could always make a wood or metal ring and gasket both the inside & outside of the ring to come up with a snug fit so your ability to control air flow isn't compromised.

As I expect you are more familiar with all of the different egg sizes than I am, does the medium use the same cap as the large, or is it also a different size?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @ZmokinMedium cap is same size as large
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Couldn't you just use a metal reducer?
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I would like one for my small, if/when they become available!

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia