Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Steak for Well Done?

First, I know that cooking a steak well done is not a preferred method, but I have some in my family that just like theirs WD (I like mine MR-M). That being said, looking to cook some steak tonight and curious what others think about the best cut for WD? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Just inexpensive 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    I was working with some German guys a few years ago, one of whom wanted his steak well done at a Ruth's Chris when we were on the road.  The waiter said that they couldn't guarantee the steak if it was ordered well done, so he responded, "Then cook it as much as you can and still guarantee it."

I end up trying to be an evangelist on this issue, and will cook someone a medium steak, and see if they'll eat it.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Well, I thought I would at least ask. I would assume some cuts (or cut) does better than others when cooked longer. I have tried to be the evangelist, but after so long it isn't worth the fight...if you wanna eat it like that that is your choice. 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

Do a round steak, something not to expensive. PS I have never cooked a round steak in my life but you might as well use the cheapest piece of meat you can fine.

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Chicken Fried
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I would just shop for yours and then grab whatever is on sale for theirs. Just make them a hamburger steak  =)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The more you cook proteins the tighter they get. Doesn't matter much. I would go with fillet. What a shame. It should be the least ruined by the overcooking. Might still be edible. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Something marinated like steak tips... Aka sirloin flap 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Good fatty beef is still good if overcooked. Make a jus, cook a rib medium rare low and slow and put it in jus till no longer pink. Doing that tonight.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Well Done !? Go w. rib eye, because the fat gets all crisp. Put lots of salt on it too.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    gdenby said:
    Well Done !? Go w. rib eye, because the fat gets all crisp. Put lots of salt on it too.
    I would've said ribeye also, there's a lot of fat to at least keep it moist.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    In No Reservations Bourdain talks about the tradition in restaurant kitchens to 'save for well done' - the worst looking ends of steak get saved for people who ask for a well done steak

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Just make them a hamburger.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    Depending on the friends, a strip loin (NY strip) works really well if you cook it slowly. SWMBO is a well done kinda gal. I would throw her steak on to a stable indirect egg, 250ºF, about 10-15 minutes before mine. When mine reached 115ºIT, I pull the steaks to rest on a rack, foiled, remove the setter and open the vents to set for a reverse sear. Dry the surfaces and sear when ready. When my steak was close to 125ºF, I pull them all and serve immediately. Her steak would be well done, still juicy, and the sear took the same for everything. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Thanks to all for the feedback. @Skiddymarker I appreciate the detail and will give that a try. Will also try a ribeye to see how that goes as well. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Yeah they don't deserve a steak. But if you must I agree with ribeyes. Lost of fat to help salvage it. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited March 2015
    My wife will only eat well done steaks, so I cook her a fillet butterflied and it turns out decent. Not as good as my med-rare ribeye but it's ok. She likes it. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Had the same situation a while back.  The way I solved it was to get some good ground sirloin, formed it like a steak.  Grilled it direct @ 500 to get good grill marks (turning 1/4 turn after a few minutes to get a hatch effect) and then offered them (a) A-1 steak sauce or (b) mushroom gravy...

They loved it.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    tdub4 said:
    Thanks to all for the feedback. @Skiddymarker I appreciate the detail and will give that a try. Will also try a ribeye to see how that goes as well. 
    I'd caution that when using a rib eye for those that like their steak ruined, it must be the actual rib eye. There is no fat whatsoever on just the eye, the cap and small eye can be trimmed off and saved for ginding if you are into that. In other words the rib eye looks like a fillet, little or no fat at all. If you cook what most of us call a rib steak, the fat may be a turn off for those that like things grey and dried out. 

That's why I've found the NY strip works well, it is fairly lean, not too expensive and most of the flavour, for one that is well done, will come from the seasoning - specially a board sauce. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Chicken   Don't waste the beef. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    tdub4 said:
    I'd caution that when using a rib eye for those that like their steak ruined, it must be the actual rib eye. There is no fat whatsoever on just the eye, the cap and small eye can be trimmed off and saved for ginding if you are into that. In other words the rib eye looks like a fillet, little or no fat at all. If you cook what most of us call a rib steak, the fat may be a turn off for those that like things grey and dried out. 

That's why I've found the NY strip works well, it is fairly lean, not too expensive and most of the flavour, for one that is well done, will come from the seasoning - specially a board sauce. 
    That's why I suggested a fillet. I like the idea of butter flying it as mentioned above. I know it goes against some conventional wisdom, but it has very little fat to begin with and is tender. I should remain the most tender simply because of the cut. I feel the fat content in the other cuts will be literally "rendered" useless by the overcooking. I'm a ribeye guy personally, but never cook to anywhere near those temps. They are used to eating shoe leather, they'll love it no matter what. Don't beat yourself up. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited March 2015
    Skirt and flank aren't bad cooked all the way through. I do that with carne Asada all the time and love it that way. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Yes, those who like their steaks well-done are used to chewing on shoe leather.  Just make it the most palatable of shoe leather as you can.  i.e, smothered in sauteed mushrooms with gravy or smothered in A-1 or...

People like the burnt ends of brisket, can't get much more Well-done than that. So while they might not be able to enjoy the juicy tenderness of some nice pink or red meat, they do usually enjoy the caramelized goodness of nicely browned meat with other moisture providing products to help swallow that chewy hunk of over-cooked meat.

If you want to, give them a Salisbury steak made with home ground ribeye that has lots of marbling.  Let them know this is the most premium grade of meat used for making a Salisbury steak.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Skiddymarker said:

...the fat may be a turn off for those that like things grey and dried out. 

Hadn't thought of that. I learned something today; I guess I was attributing what I like about steak to folks who may have different preferences.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Cook a sirloin. Not too expensive but has enough fat that it should hold up to the overcooking and still be edible. 

Little Rock, AR

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Prime grade ribeye or new york. I know because thats the way I eat my steak. Heres an example of some fine looking steaks. These steaks are perfect for cooking well done. Lots of marbling to keep them juicy.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    edited March 2015
    @Tinyfish man I really liked you too :bawling: 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS