Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke ring challenged

Options
2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Located in East Tennessee, humidity usually isn't a problem late spring through summer.
    For a smoke ring, humidity is your friend. The higher the better. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    SGH said:
    EggHead_Bubba said:
     I'll give your method a try and see how it goes.
    The cherry and water pan will work like a charm for attaining a smoke ring my friend. That said, once you get a smoke ring and are satisfied, give a 3 way mix of white oak, hickory and cherry a try for a killer smoke taste on brisket. But drop the water pan for this one. Also lean heavier on the oak. 

A threeway always gives a nice finish. :whistle: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

A threeway always gives a nice finish. :whistle: 
    Brother Husker, i better not say it. Could get me in trouble :wink: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I started these short ribs cold for low and slow at 250 and got lucky with this smoke ring.  Used hickory and apple, were delish
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There are plenty of ways to make nitrites...cherry, moisture, celery powder.  Just add frikkin nitrite.  No shame in that.
    Options

I thought this was a pretty good smoke ring on a tenderloin.  I didn't do anything but throw that thang on the Egg at 350ish raised indirect.  No smoking chips, just straight up heat.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I'm going to cheat a pastrami soon - instead of starting three weeks ago brining a brisket, I'm going to spice up a leftover corned beef (they're on sale NOW) and smoke it for a few hours to make pastrami. If I get a good smoke ring, I'll post a picture - if I don't get a good smoke ring I'll rip off Mikey's picture just like the famous bbq-ers do.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    A couple charcoal briquets thrown in with the wood and lump will give you a nice smoke ring.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    I'm going to cheat a pastrami soon - instead of starting three weeks ago brining a brisket, I'm going to spice up a leftover corned beef (they're on sale NOW) and smoke it for a few hours to make pastrami. If I get a good smoke ring, I'll post a picture - if I don't get a good smoke ring I'll rip off Mikey's picture just like the famous bbq-ers do.
    I don't think you can get a smokering on cured meat, the nitrites have already set the whole color of the meat to pink.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe