Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very rude, stupid or lazy butcher encounter at Costco

Options
SIL & BIL are up for the weekend.  Choice for supper was either steak or mexican.  Steak won and off to Costco we went.  I asked the butcher if they had a 3pound Prime rib roast.  He looked at me and in a very condesing way told me I didnt need Prime, there was no difference between prime and choice and he could prove it.  I wasnt going to argue, but i did tell him beef was graded for a reason.  As he was closing the glass panel he said there were some cut prime ribeyes in the case and if i needed anything else just tap on the glass.  
This is the first time in my years of Costco membersip that i have meet an employee that unhelpful.  
I buy meat from Costco because It is close to our house.   I could just as easily drive the miles to Marion or Hutto and fillup the Pelican chest.  
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    You find jerks everywhere. For all of my years of membership at Costco I find their employees very helpful and they seem to have a great attitude. I think that Costco pays their employees well compared to other retail type businesses and I like the fact that they keep reasonable hours and don't make folks work all the time. I'd just chalk it up to that one dude being a jerk. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    There is help at Costco?...WoW...other than the people making snacks, I've never found any
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Trying to tell an egghead that prime meat doesn't matter is like trying to tell the pope there is no Jesus. 

You may be right but either way you're wasting your time. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    There is help at Costco?...WoW...other than the people making snacks, I've never found any
    The butchers are always back there. They won't do things like publix will like split packages but if they don't have a certain item out if you ask sometimes they have them in the back. I have asked them to split a 4 pack of steaks before and also tried to get a single tri tip and they won't do it unless that's how they packaged it originally. Its crappy because my local Costco always has 2 packs of steaks but the one I used to go to never did so its not like a rule or anything.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm sure his supervisor would like to know that he was rude AND trying to talk a customer out of buying Prime grade beef.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    He looked at me and in a very condesing way told me I didnt need Prime, there was no difference between prime and choice and he could prove it.
    This is amazing. In less than 24 hours this is the 2nd post about poor customer service. The other was a warranty issue and now this. Sounds like this guy needs a education in both manners and meat quality. I recommend a good a$$ whipping. You will be surprised how people's attitude suddenly change for the better when they are picking their teeth up off the floor. It just seems to work wonders as long as you don't get caught. After you knock his teeth out, be sure to tell him that he didn't need those teeth just like he told you that you didn't need Prime. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Options
    You should email Costco. I can't stand how customer service has died in the country. 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Here's what to say to this "prime-ate"

"Prime is the same as Choice? Good to know, now take this Prime Rib Rack back there and put a price sticker on it for the same weight in Choice."

Suddenly Prime will gain some value to him, won't it?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    R.E.L.A.X. and head over to HEB.  Their butchers always aim to please but you will pay a bit more for it, unless the cut you're looking for is on special. Great meat, however. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    So then, why do they sell prime strips and filets at Costco if it's all the same??
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Last thanksgiving weekend I stopped at Costco to pick up a brisket, place was busy.  First thing I noticed, the brisket packaging was all wet.  I then saw the meat case thermometer and it read 50 something degrees.  Just then the meat guy from behind the glass opened the glass to put out more meat.  I asked him what's up with the temps.  He said the freezer problems started couple hours ago but a guy is on the way to fix it.    I asked him why is the meat even out, all the meat cases were full.  He said because my boss said put it out.  Last question for him was, how long have these briskets been out.  His response was couple hours.   I found the store manager on duty and had a short chat with him.  He seemed to rely on the butcher's call to have the meat out.  I walked out empty handed.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I will tell you that a USDA Choice rib roast is darn good. Not sure the prime grade is worth the extra cost, IMO.  For regular steaks, I prefer the prime. I know this seems weird but it could be the way I cook them. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've got one of those ar my Publix. I refuse to work with him. Everyone else is nice. I always get small quanties to grind for burgers. He basically told me to buy ground beef. 
    On the flip side most are very helpful. When you praise an employee to the manager they get some sort of benefit.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DieselkW
    Options
    @henapple - I like to grind my own beef as well - gives me control of quality, fat content, and flavors.
    Tell your Publix "butcher" if that's what he really is, that a typical 1/4 lb ground beef burger can represent up to 40 different cows in that mix. That's 40x the chances of having some tiny little nasties in that grind vs. a steak...

If I grind a chuck roast and a rump roast with some rib meat, that's three cows from cuts that were not likely to have hit the slaughterhouse floor where the intestines and fecal matter reside. Who knows where the original chuck that became ground comes from?

Ever see them make sausage or hot dogs?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've usually had good experiences with the Costco meat guys. If I don't like the cuts in the case they have always offered to cut steaks for me the way I want. Maybe that guy was the lone doofus there. 

I decided many years ago that it was not my duty to enlighten the idiots of the world. Whether one needs prime beef or not is a different matter. If you want it, they have it, and you've got your wallet out,  then end of story! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The guy at publix kept insisting the 4lb flat was a whole brisket...he'd never heard of the term "packer".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Joan we could all meet for lunch, go by there and cut up out cards. Hell the AX cards are ready to give up the ghost anyway. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    DieselkW ..good one... if he every answers the window again I will ask him to cost out the Prime at Choice price.
    @Mickey lunch is a go anytime and I am bummed out about AxX cards going away.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Maybe he couldn't afford prime so he was pissy? :)
  • ImOldGregg
    ImOldGregg Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options
    He sounds like a big ol' motherlicker.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Let me make a counter point please.  The butcher is just like a new puppy that has piddled in the middle of your carpeting.  If you do nothing, the puppy thinks their behavior is appropriate and will do it again.  You need to make the puppy understand that piddling on the carpet isn't acceptable.  Hitting the butcher upside the head with a rolled up newspaper probably isn't an acceptable training method.  However, explaining to the manager that you're displeased with the service/attitude/help from an employee should yield similar results.

Also, like Mr Apple suggests, putting in a good word for employees who provide exceptional service is also a good approach.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Let me make a counter point please.  The butcher is just like a new puppy that has piddled in the middle of your carpeting.  If you do nothing, the puppy thinks their behavior is appropriate and will do it again.  You need to make the puppy understand that piddling on the carpet isn't acceptable.  Hitting the butcher upside the head with a rolled up newspaper probably isn't an acceptable training method.  However, explaining to the manager that you're displeased with the service/attitude/help from an employee should yield similar results.

Also, like Mr Apple suggests, putting in a good word for employees who provide exceptional service is also a good approach.
    I fully agree with you, Tom! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    I agree most of my experiences with Costco have been good. Although last time I was there they didn't know what a packer brisket was... :angry: 

and def didn't carry it.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    RRP said:

I fully agree with you, Tom! 
    +1 here. Costco butchers are clueless. Plus their meats are mechanically tenderized. Could be why they think there is no difference between grades. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    bweekes said:

+1 here. Costco butchers are clueless. Plus their meats are mechanically tenderized. Could be why they think there is no difference between grades. 

"Butcher" is probably a stretch too......they are not slaughtering or cutting primal cuts of meat.  They slicing sub-primals--taking a tenderloin and cutting it into filets, or cutting a rib roast into chops, etc.

So many places calls themselves "butcher shops", but they are really just cutting up the sub-primal cuts they get in cryovac'd packs from Excel or another big meat packer.

No big deal, but I don't expect custom work from Costco.  Just give me my whole packer brisket and I'm outta there.

BTW, anyone have a GFS?  Just got one in STL, not a bad place.  They didn't have much beef, but the prices were close to RD.

• Terrebandit
    Options

Instead of going directly to the manager on a first offense, why don't you tell the guy directly to his face, in a nice way, and see how he responds?  Now, if he continues to be a ****, I can see taking the next step.  
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

BTW, anyone have a GFS?  Just got one in STL, not a bad place.  They didn't have much beef, but the prices were close to RD.

We have one close by in Peoria (IL).  Since we have several good meat places, I've not checked out their meats nor prices.  They do have some great prices on accessories ... poly cutting boards, butcher paper, heavy duty aluminum pans, etc...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Awful long thread for one rude encounter with a butcher at a warehouse store.  Could've been a bad day or a million other things.  Not an excuse, but I have had bad days myself and been short with people.  You're still buying in a warehouse and getting warehouse pricing.
  • DieselkW
    Options
    Wearing a blood stained white apron lends some credibility - no matter if you were hired to wipe down the counters. To authoritatively voice your ignorance to customers "advising" them they're wasting money buying the premium product vs the mundane... that will get you cutting down boxes in the back corner by the cardboard crusher if I were a store manager.
    http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/11/12/what-do-usda-beef-grades-prime-choice-select-actually-mean/
    1. Prime grade is almost never found in supermarkets. This beef is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking (broiling, roasting, or grilling).
    2. Choice grade is still of high quality, but has less marbling than Prime. Choice roasts and steaks from the loin and rib. They are very tender, juicy, and flavorful. They also do well with dry-heat cooking. Many of the less tender cuts, such as those from the rump, round, and blade chuck, can also be cooked with dry heat if not overcooked. Such cuts will be most tender if “braised” — roasted, or simmered with a small amount of liquid in a tightly covered pan.

Indianapolis, IN