Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Do You Have A Nickname At Work?

Options

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Cracker. I've been called it for 15 years and I have to tell ya some people have no idea what my real name is. I live in coal country so it is short for coal cracker. It does get awkward from time to time but its all good.
    I thought you lived in Detroit. .. :o
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Around the firehouse my dad was called "ZZ" since our last name starts with z and ends with z. When I was 16 and joined the called me "YZ", it was short for young Z or Y is before Z in the alphabet. I have answered to that and my given name for the last 22 years. At work I am a lieutenant assigned to a ladder truck (have been at my current assignment for 2.5 years) and I'm pretty sure there are some people that do not know my first name. The just call me Lt. YZ and I just respond. Sometimes I'll sign things WhyZee and it will really confuse people. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I've been called "tough" at work for a long time now. 

I'm never the smartest. Im never the biggest or fastest but more often then not, I'm the toughest. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    Options
    This f%=+ing guy...lol
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:
    grege345 said:
    Cracker. I've been called it for 15 years and I have to tell ya some people have no idea what my real name is. I live in coal country so it is short for coal cracker. It does get awkward from time to time but its all good.
    I thought you lived in Detroit. .. :o

Last year I was deep in the hood here in Flint appraising property.  I went into a shop, clipboard in hand and before I could open my mouth, I was asked not very politely "What the hell do you want, Whitey?"
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Swamp Rat. Headed a group of software development guys designing digital switch engineering programs, they called my made for two cubicle "The Swamp" after the TV show MASH. I might have preferred Swamp King or Swamp Fox but the more realistic title of rat stuck. 

Later it became Skiddy, not sure that was an improvement!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Swamp Rat. Headed a group of software development guys designing digital switch engineering programs, they called my made for two cubicle "The Swamp" after the TV show MASH. I might have preferred Swamp King or Swamp Fox but the more realistic title of rat stuck. 

Later it became Skiddy, not sure that was an improvement!
    At least it's not skidmark.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Salty is my Air Force call sign. The fighter community typically awards call signs based on impressive feats.  However, I fly heavies...we earn our call signs by doing something stupid.  I had mine three days into my first deployment. One of the most embarrassing moments of my life.  And, each year we have a naming night for the new guys.  Each year, I have to re-tell that same story.  Brutal. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Salty is my Air Force call sign. The fighter community typically awards call signs based on impressive feats.  However, I fly heavies...we earn our call signs by doing something stupid.  I had mine three days into my first deployment. One of the most embarrassing moments of my life.  And, each year we have a naming night for the new guys.  Each year, I have to re-tell that same story.  Brutal. 
    Go on...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ....yeeesss?  (You lived through it, so that's a happy ending...)
    Options
    One of my bosses  close to 40 years ago gave me the name "Chilly" after the cartoon penguin. Well it stuck. Now even my field foremen have that in their phones. And yes there are people to this day that don't know my name is Bill . That one I've had for 56 years. Even some the youngsters call me Uncle Chilly.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    A few that I know about and probably a few that I don't...

Hap
    Hapster
    Happenin'
    Ed
    Big Ed
    Eddie
    Fast Eddie

I'll at least answer to these...
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    I'm Fun Size at work.  I can't help it I have to stand on the CPR stool to do anything in the department.  
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • BuckeyeFork
    BuckeyeFork Posts: 191
    Options
    Mostly just Fork
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Go on...
    You can't leave us hanging like this!   Cmon we're all friends here.
  • henapple
    Options
    hapster said:

Hap
    Hapster
    Happenin'
    Ed
    Big Ed
    Eddie
    Fast Eddie

Hapanator
    Mr Tito's 
    Cameraman 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    henapple said:
    hapster said:

Hap
    Hapster
    Happenin'
    Ed
    Big Ed
    Eddie
    Fast Eddie

Hapanator
    Mr Tito's 
    Cameraman 
    Not bad... :)
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    One of the new girls call me Grandpa Gene. It what you get when you work with twenty somethings. Gotta love them though. All good kids thou. 
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    serial
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    tjosborne said:
    serial

Come on!  It's never just "serial".  Serial is always followed by something.  Serial liar.  Serial killer.  Work with me here.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    tjosborne said:
    serial

Come on!  It's never just "serial".  Serial is always followed by something.  Serial liar.  Serial killer.  Work with me here.

What do you do Freddie? Sit around in your underwear amidst a hail of gunfire thinking of forum questions to ask?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

After you dive for cover, you gotta use your time somehow until the danger passes.

Flint, Michigan
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    It was day three of my time in Tallil, Iraq.  This was 2004, and I was a 2Lt, so a brand new AF officer.  I was desperate to make conversation with some of the older guys, and one topic of conversation was a navigator whom we all hated.  We told stories of stupid things this kid had done, and I figured I'd chime in with one of my own observation.  I happened to notice he was a fan of "smedium" running shorts.  I don't know what he was trying to accomplish by showing off the goods.  He was no Serge Ibaka.  (A Nod to the thread from yesterday). I thought this story was hilarious, but sweet Jesus...it backfired.  The senior guys all chimed in and said "dude, why are you so obsessed with his junk? We should call you Salty Balls."

Mercifully, it got shortened to just Salty.  But each re-telling now includes the advice from Abraham Lincoln.  "Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

Remember! We're all friends!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    It was day three of my time in Tallil, Iraq.  This was 2004, and I was a 2Lt, so a brand new AF officer.  I was desperate to make conversation with some of the older guys, and one topic of conversation was a navigator whom we all hated.  We told stories of stupid things this kid had done, and I figured I'd chime in with one of my own observation.  I happened to notice he was a fan of "smedium" running shorts.  I don't know what he was trying to accomplish by showing off the goods.  He was no Serge Ibaka.  (A Nod to the thread from yesterday). I thought this story was hilarious, but sweet Jesus...it backfired.  The senior guys all chimed in and said "dude, why are you so obsessed with his junk? We should call you Salty Balls."

Mercifully, it got shortened to just Salty.  But each re-telling now includes the advice from Abraham Lincoln.  "Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

Remember! We're all friends!
    Great story. Funny, and my buddies would have gone just as low. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I've been labelled "Scooter" by my motorcyling buddies and it has carried over to work, because the supervisor shares my first name and I would always answer when someone was addressing the super, so I get called by my nickname to avoid confusion.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Yeah I know this is an old post, but I missed it first time around.  In college they called me Sarge because of my flat top hair cut.  A lot of people where I work now who have worn various shades of green uniforms call me Gordo which pleases me just fine because I am happy they welcome me into the brotherhood I do not deserve.  The wet-behind-the-ears call me (unnecessarily) Mr. Jenkins.  I shoot black powder flintlocks competitively  and made the mistake one time of bitching about not having a camp name, and became No Name Yet AKA NoNaYet.  Stuck for a long time now.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
     Heisenberg
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Probably many nicknames for me at work, but I'm a scary mushroom cloud laying M-Fer so I never hear them.  I like that.
    Options
    I know a guy everyone calls Slash. If you want the truth, you take whatever he says and slash it in half. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Gamecock.....it's been a tough year for me though in major sports.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow