Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

should rubs be made or bought?

I viewed a comment about one member not accepting anyone that used a store bought rub and it got me thinking. That disgruntled person had to start somewhere and then eventually gathered what was good in one and not so good in another. I understand that some ingredient lists only say 'spices' but by trying and erring you can understand a profile. The beauty of it all is it's still usually a decent mistake. DIY. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The final product is all that counts.  The journey is just part of the bragging rights.
    I viewed a comment about one member not accepting anyone that used a store bought rub and it got me thinking. That disgruntled person had to start somewhere and then eventually gathered what was good in one and not so good in another. I understand that some ingredient lists only say 'spices' but by trying and erring you can understand a profile. The beauty of it all is it's still usually a decent mistake. DIY. 
    link to the thread please.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,531
    I like making my own, it's part of the fun.  In our house BBQ is a family affair, my 5 yr old daughter loves to help make the "pig dust". She been helping for as long as she could stand at the counter with her stool. She's also a veteran of an overnight cook or two. But with that said I've tried some really good commercial rubs, at the end of the day it's like @nolaegghead said its all about the final product.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• sorry, i'm not gonna go back and find that needle. My time means too much. The basic premise had been laid. 
  • nolaegghead
    I make my own most of the time. I try to not let spices sit around too long, they lose their efficacy. 
    Don't see why it has to be an either or thing.  I make my own and try store bought - you have to experiment.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • whoa, i never suggested friendship loss. 
  • nolaegghead
    whoa, i never suggested friendship loss. 
    what am I missing?  (I have lead poisoning and thick skull)
    Okay, this thread is getting weird.  Cazzy, can you true it up.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Yep, that just made my evening.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  •  :o 

Keepittogetherkeepittogether........ OK better....

Personally I switch it up.

I love dizzy dust as well as several other of the dizzy pig blends; but I also almost always mix my own coffee based rubs, or rubs where I'm looking to bring some serious heat (because I can control the flavor of the burn better using various chili powders, Hungarian hot paprika, mustards.. Ect)

There is no right or wrong answer, it's all about taste. I try to stay away from mixes using MSG in my kitchen but if a friend puts some on a rack of ribs and slides them my way...... They won't be lasting long. 
  • nolaegghead
    I love MSG but SWMBO goes into A-Fib if I use any so I threw out the huge bags of it I would buy from the oriental market.  I'm not giving up my fish and soy sauces, so I still have my umami sources.

MSG always comes of tasting just a bit off to me. Just slightly fake. It's like when you're halfway through a bag of Doritos and all of the sudden your taste buds get burnt out. 

Fish sauce, soy sauce, anchovies.... Sign me up!
  • ha. Great beach vid. apparently the sunscreen had been sunscreened. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I was having a this talk with some guys at Salado Eggfest the other day.  There are some store bought stuff I like. I'm not really a tight a** about most stuff....  but rubs are too expensive. I won't even buy pre-made taco spice or chili mix. Not hating on people who do,I just cant bring myself to do it. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I have a few that I like from Meatchurch and Dizzy Pig... outside of that, I usually keep it very simple, sea salt, black pepper, Cayenne  pepper, garlic salt, and onion salt...
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
     :o 

Keepittogetherkeepittogether........ OK better....

Personally I switch it up.

I love dizzy dust as well as several other of the dizzy pig blends; but I also almost always mix my own coffee based rubs, or rubs where I'm looking to bring some serious heat (because I can control the flavor of the burn better using various chili powders, Hungarian hot paprika, mustards.. Ect)

There is no right or wrong answer, it's all about taste. I try to stay away from mixes using MSG in my kitchen but if a friend puts some on a rack of ribs and slides them my way...... They won't be lasting long. 
    This. (Well, except for the part about needing to keep it together :) )
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,099
    blasting said:
    cazzy said:
    Hawg Fan said:
    Okay, this thread is getting weird.  Cazzy, can you true it up.
    been watching this for an hour now, and the poor girl keeps dropping the lotion.  i'm very worried shes going to burn.  i suppose i'll keep watching to see how it turns out...
    I want to watch her pick up that bottle. Where's that video? 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,681
    I find it peaceful, relaxing and rewarding when I combine my own salt and pepper into one container 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MSG is a migraine trigger for Wilma so we stay away from it.  It's marketing code name "natural flavor" disqualifies a rub for use.  I have a few favorites off the shelf without MSG and I make some too.  Go with what works.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I can't think all of a sudden.  
    My brain had the opposite reaction; I had all kinds of thoughts go through my head.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I mix rubs at home. All of them are salt free. To me, salting and flavor rubs should be independent. I salt or brine the meat. Then add rub for flavor. Commercial rubs almost always have salt. That limits the amount you can use without under or over salting.  Salting independently allows you the ability to add as much or as little of the flavor rub as you like.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    I'm really cheap and always looking to save money.  So I make my own.  I use Steven Raichlen's Basic Barbecue Rub recipe.  It's very simple and delicious.  I might start try adding a little old bay and/or all spice that I've seen in other rub recipes. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    I do make my own sometimes, but honestly, I use Dizzy Pig rubs ALOT.
    GWN
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I check the store bought rubs ingredient list. If it's salt it stays in the store. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I'm lazy. So I use store bought (or internet ordered). Usually Dizzy Pig or Oakridge. I've been meaning to try Meat Church.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA