Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digi Q DX2

Options
I have been reading about this product and would like feedback from other eggheads on their experience good or bad. I like to do low and slow and this appears to be a solution to not staying up all night. I also think it may eliminate the need for a ET 733.

Comments

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    It does not necessarily eliminate the need for the maverick because there is no remote temp indication.  The cyberq would do that.  Some, including myself use the maverick in conjunction with the digiq. 

I like my digiq it works great.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I bought mine when I purchased my XL. Highly recommend it for low and slows. Just make sure that when you start the egg use one starter cube. After 4 minutes close the dome lid, and let your pit viper fan bring it up to temp. Also note that the dome temp can be 50 degrees higher than the grid level.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have had mine for a couple years now. It broke during the first year and BBQ guru fixed at no cost (great support IMO). I did pay shipping. I have also replaced the cables once. I love the Digi Q DX2 and use it all the time. If you are a gadget person go with the Digi Q WiFi. If not go with the Digi Q DX2. They have a battery attachment kit so you do not need AC to run it.   

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like my Digi Que II, but if I was shopping for such a system today, I would get a CyberQ or something comparable.  They do the same job as my Digi Que II PLUS can be monitored and controlled remotely with a smartphone.
    Flint, Michigan
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I like mine, it works great. Haven't seen a need for remote monitoring. If you're into that type of thing I'd say go for it. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Another versatile option is the maverick in conjunction with a Party Q. This gives you pit control for low and slow and remote reading of both the pit and the protein. Obviously not as many bells and whistles as the cyber, but not everyone wants or would use those more advanced options. Hey, plenty of good options for you, just need to decide which one fits your personal needs. Good luck, FWIW, I don't believe you can make a bad choice here.  
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    If you already own a maverick you already have remote monitoring.  The cyberq would give you pit control as well but render the money you spent on the maverick useless.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Get the CyberQ and sleep well, love mine. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Love mine for low and slow cooks. Lets me sleep without babysitting the egg.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • slheinlein
    Options
    I'm looking into these also.  The Cyber Q doesn't appear to have an app where you can check on things when outside the wifi range.  It appears only to work as a wifi device similiar to the Maverick.  Looks like you have to use a web browser to connect to it as well which doesn't seem very useful.  Therefore, having a tough time justifying the extra $100 just for the wifi capabilities as I already have that with the Maverick.  If you could check on things when away from home with an app, then it might be worth it but I don't see where this is currently possible.  Am I missing something?
    Large and MiniMax
    Mont Vernon, NH
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Yes you can control the cyberq while away from home out of WiFi range.  You also get two meat probes with it which you do not get with the digiq.  If I never had a maverick I would have went with cyberq, but since I do I went with digiq since I mostly only want at home remote monitoring.  I don't like leaving the house with it going since it is on my deck.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II