Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

;-)

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Bastard! Looks awesome!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    :bow: 
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You don't show up, you don't invite me over. Damn boy
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    So now do we all have to start taking pics with gloves on?
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Dayum............
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Yeah that's great but I don't think it's gonna fold over a knife anytime soon...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yeah that's great but I don't think it's gonna fold over a knife anytime soon...
    I'm done with knife shots.  Besides, it would be silly to jump on my own bandwagon!   :dizzy: 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Holy sh!t......!!!
    GWN
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    Bam!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • cazzy
    Options
    Brisket sin?  Maybe, but there isn't much better than chunky point chop! NOM NOM!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Brisket sin?  Maybe, but there isn't much better than chunky point chop! NOM NOM!
    Dude, I have a loaf of white bread I made in the freezer that is begging to make out with that meat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yep, I turned this...

into chop! 

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I realize I'm only cooking Choice instead of Prime briskets but how in gods name do you guys get such clean slices? Mine falls apart and I'm lucky if I get 12-15 decent slices from a 13-15 pound packer.  I know that my trimming technique isn't exact but I would kill for a cross section that looks like that without just breaking down when I put the knife through it. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I realize I'm only cooking Choice instead of Prime briskets but how in gods name do you guys get such clean slices? Mine falls apart and I'm lucky if I get 12-15 decent slices from a 13-15 pound packer.  I know that my trimming technique isn't exact but I would kill for a cross section that looks like that without just breaking down when I put the knife through it. 

This will lead you to the promise land!  Take notice to who is using the knife I use.  You're very welcome!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1541980

I have converted @travisstrick , @DMW  and now...you!   :tongue: 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You son of a ..... SRF can take it up the you know what with those high $$ prices. That's sweetness right there kid.
    Seattle, WA
  • cazzy
    Options
    Oh. also..if it's crumbling, you're over-over cooking it.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I think there's a lil bit more to it than the right knife.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    That's the thing is I wait til it probes like butter in the flat. It's still moist as hell, just falls apart. I can't imagine that my Choice Wally World briskets are done in the 180's like a SRF brisket is. I typically get somewhere between 194*-200* in the flat. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That's the thing is I wait til it probes like butter in the flat. It's still moist as hell, just falls apart. I can't imagine that my Choice Wally World briskets are done in the 180's like a SRF brisket is. I typically get somewhere between 194*-200* in the flat. 
    You're overcooking it in my limited experience. If the thin part of those flats is truly probing like buttah, it is destined for chop. I tend to have tight parts of those flats when I pull them. I sacrifice that for leftover chopped beef mixed with sauce. The thicker flat will be decent and point will be spot on.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    Options
    Walk me through your normal process after you pull it please.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What, is the SMURF the new FORK?!

Looks good cazzy, but I already told you that on our private forum.   Members only, and I'm not talking about people.
    Options

Looks good cazzy, but I already told you that on our private forum.   Members only, and I'm not talking about people.
    I feel inadequate... And all y'all have my digits...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @DMW we are the forum of SMS dicks.  We'll start a new thread.
    Options
    DMW said:

I feel inadequate... And all y'all have my digits...
    Your name has been submitted and you will be discussed during our Memorial Day board meeting.
  • cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @DMW we are the forum of SMS dicks.  We'll start a new thread.
    No...he will be a seat filler for Cen-Tex during his annual "guys, please take me off this thread" strike.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @cazzy the last two I've done have been with a Stoker, one temp probe in the point, one in the flat. I start checking by probing the meat when the flat reaches 190*. When I pull it off I let it rest on the counter under a foil tent for 30 minutes to and hour or so. Then attempt to slice. Had great burnt ends on my one a couple of weeks ago, this one yesterday just fell apart in the flat and on the point. 

It's still a fantastic tasting product, just doesn't present the way I want it to.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    "guys, I'm doing the things and my phone starts buzzing and I can't finish doing the things..."

Options
    @cazzy the last two I've done have been with a Stoker, one temp probe in the point, one in the flat. I start checking by probing the meat when the flat reaches 190*. When I pull it off I let it rest on the counter under a foil tent for 30 minutes to and hour or so. Then attempt to slice. Had great burnt ends on my one a couple of weeks ago, this one yesterday just fell apart in the flat and on the point. 

It's still a fantastic tasting product, just doesn't present the way I want it to.
    Any pictures of it "falling apart"?  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Showoff!!

By the way, I know of a bunch of pellet-pooper aficionados in your neck of the woods who would think your brisket aint worth shite. You need to show them a thing or two some time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.