Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Conundrum - Wrapped vs. Unwrapped

Options
How on EARTH do you keep an unwrapped brisket from drying out? I prefer the bark from an unwrapped cook, but I hate messing up my meat. I've done 3 prime packers since I purchased my egg. I foil wrapped 1 and left 2 unwrapped. All smoked over hickory/oak with a water bowl on the platesetter.

The first brisket was cooked unwrapped at 225 (measured at the grid with a maverick) until tender. Cooked fat side down with foil covering the parts of the grid that were over the gaps in the platesetter. I cooked this one overnight, and there were a few points where the fire got a bit over 250. I assumed this is what was the demise of this attempt. The fat side turned out great, but the top was almost like beef jerky until you got halfway into the brisket.

After that attempt, I tried another a few weeks later and using the same cooking setup. 225 fat side down. But this time I wrapped it at 160. The meat was much more moist, but the bark was a bit too soft for my taste.

For my 3rd attempt, I tried 225 unwrapped again with the same setup as the first cook, but this time I watched my temperatures like a hawk. The temp never got above 225 at the grid for the entire cook, and it still turned out like beef jerky on the lean side!

My question for the gurus is this - how on earth do you keep an unwrapped brisket from drying out? I really enjoy the unwrapped bark, but if I'm going to keep ruining the brisket I'll just have to settle for wrapping. I'm also contemplating investing in an AR to help with the hot spots, but I can't seem to find any other tips I haven't already tried to implement.

Comments

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @jbtx I've used my pizza stein to fill in the gap at the 6 o' clock position so that the length of the brisket is covered. Have you tried injecting the flat? Or is it the whole topside that is tough?
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You asked above: How on earth do you keep an unwrapped brisket from drying out? Dry brisket is usually a sign of only 3 things. One, over cooking. Two, poor or low grade meat quality. Three, a combination of both one and two. Wrapping a brisket is not a essential variable. However when used properly it is a aid to prevent over darkening or more often as a method of controlling temp drop during the rest. I myself do not wrap brisket until the cooking is complete. If I'm not resting it for a long period of time, I will not wrap it at all. I merely sit it on the counter on a cutting board naked and free. If you are more comfortable wrapping during the cook, stop using foil and use butcher paper in its place. The paper does not affect bark like foil does. Take the above with a grain of salt. I'm neither a pro nor guru. However the above has been my findings and I'm happy to share them here. Here is a excellent paper for wrapping brisket with. I highly recommend it instead of foil.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited March 2015
    Options
    While I am in no shape or form an expert I agree 100% with what @SGH  Said. I never wrap anything on the Egg itself. My last two briskets have been Choice grade from Wally world and both were really good. If anything they've been over moist and have fallen apart too easily. I cook fat cap on top as opposed to the bottom. Never put a water pan in the Egg either. Every now and then I'll put a little apple cider vinegar in the drip pan. 

Keep trying and don't be discouraged. You'll find a way that works for you.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I guess its safe to say what side of the tracks I live on.  im just a hack though, so dismiss anything I say.  My wife does it all the time.   :tongue: 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Never having used butcher paper, I assume you would wrap it at an IT of 160 or so? Does it push through the stall like foil? I've never foiled a packer but I have wrapped a flat before.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Never having used butcher paper, I assume you would wrap it at an IT of 160 or so? Does it push through the stall like foil? I've never foiled a packer but I have wrapped a flat before.
    It works similar to foil. It pushes through the stall and it protects the bark from scorching. It is easier on the bark though and makes for a better texture.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Thanks Cen-Tex. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    How do you tell when it's done?  All brisket is dry.  My point is, the flat could have been under done and it appeared to be dry, but it was in fact undercooked.
    Options
    I always do point on top (is that what you mean by fat side?), with water in a pan (and usually refill the water several times) and when I use lower grade meat (eg from walmart), it comes out better.  Some of the best advice I have gotten on this forum was to "enjoy the journey."  Every time I make a brisket I learn something.  My worst brisket on the BGE was still delicious.

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I mean do you cook to a temp or go by tenderness?
    Options
    Oh, sorry, you're not the OP.
    Options
    @SGH I've heard good things about butcher paper. Went through all of the Franklin youtube series multiple times before doing my first cook, and he seems to recommend the paper. I've been cooking prime briskets from the local HEB, so I don't think it's the quality of the meat. Although I am wondering if I should try the CAB Choice that they have there next time.

I'm cooking to feel, but I'm also using a maverick to monitor the internal temp. I usually open the egg to check the meat around 180. And then I check every 45-1hr after that. They never seem to feel done until closer to 196-205. 

It's always my flat that ends up with an extra "crispy" layer on the side opposite the fat cap. It's almost crunchy, but the point is still excellent.

• JBTx
    JBTx Posts: 18
    Options
    @nolaegghead I always start checking for tenderness around 180. I've pulled every one of them between 195-205 so far. I go by the probe test, but I usually note the temp when I pull them off.
  • JBTx
    Options
    @Walt2015 It is only the flat that ends up with a crunchy layer. Every other part of the brisket is great. I haven't done any injecting. That would require purchasing another bbq gadget that the wife would get grumpy about  =)
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @jbtx I know some inject with a little beef broth so you could use any disposable injector or the plastic ones that you can find for $3-5. It has helped keep mine moist but also looking for a brisket with the thickest flat possible. I think mine tends to be less crunchy when I use less rub
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    make sure your temp probe is positioned on the thickest side of the flat. When the temp reaches 195 start probing for tenderness all around the flat. Usually I pull mine around 200-205 once it probes like butter on the flat. Then I FTC for at least and hour.
  • JBTx
    Options
    @dstearn Yup. Probe is always in the thickest part. It's never been an issue of undercooking. Pretty sure these things are overcooked. The internal feel is great, but that's after you get through the 1/4-1/2" of "crust".
  • JBTx
    Options
    @Walt2015 Thanks for the tip on the disposable injectors. I might look into that. As for the crunchiness, it doesn't seem to be the bark causing it. The outer 1/4" of meat almost feels crispy-fried.
  • dstearn
    Options
    You might want to try a different store or butcher for your meat. I was having mixed results until I cooked a Prime brisket from Costco. Best one I ever cooked. I tried cooking fat side down but went back to fat side up. Brisket  will dry up in a few minutes once it is exposed to air so you need to slice to order. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    dstearn said:
    make sure your temp probe is positioned on the thickest side of the flat. When the temp reaches 195 start probing for tenderness all around the flat. Usually I pull mine around 200-205 once it probes like butter on the flat. Then I FTC for at least and hour.
    Pulling it off when it's perfect, then FTC'n can easily overshoot your temp.  It's not necessary to FTC if you don't need an extended hold.  Tossing it on the counter is more than suffice.
  • dstearn
    Options
    cazzy said:
    dstearn said:
    Pulling it off when it's perfect, then FTC'n can easily overshoot your temp.  It's not necessary to FTC if you don't need an extended hold.  Tossing it on the counter is more than suffice.
    So are you saying that if your brisket is done early then pull it before it is perfect and FTC?

• cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dstearn said:
    cazzy said:
    dstearn said:
    So are you saying that if your brisket is done early then pull it before it is perfect and FTC?

It's tough.  Depends how long you need to hold it.  If I have to hold, I pull my brisket and let it sit on the counter for about 30-45 minutes, then FTC it.  I'm trying to avoid overshooting at all costs, but that's not always possible if you have to hold for many hours.  I hold 5% of my briskets, and when I do, it's usually around 4 hours at most.  

I read it all the time.  "I think this brisket is going to be great.  It had a nice jiggle."  Then, "I don't know what happened, it's dry" etc.  I attribute alot of those failures to briskets going into FTC immediately.  It's still cooking for a lil bit, especially when you insulate it with foil and towels.  Would be cool to have someone probe a FTC'd protein and get some raw data.

Cen-tex has used that strategy though (i think), pull it lil before and let it get happy in FTC.  
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    What cazzy said
    Options
    So for the experts...by the pictures, would you guess OPs brisket is overcooked or under-cooked in the first pic? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I inject with butchers. Certainly not a requirement, but I look at it like insurance. I wrap also. I'm obviously a scoundrel in true BBQ circles. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    So for the experts...by the pictures, would you guess OPs brisket is overcooked or under-cooked in the first pic? 
    IMO.   First brisket pic...very over.  Second brisket pic...slightly over.

One thing to think about though, it's probably more the meat than it is the cook.  Lower grades can be cooked great, but the window for perfection is much smaller.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    cazzy said:
    IMO.   First brisket pic...very over.  Second brisket pic...slightly over.

One thing to think about though, it's probably more the meat than it is the cook.  Lower grades can be cooked great, but the window for perfection is much smaller.
    He said they are Prime Packers? Huh?
  • mmundy81
    mmundy81 Posts: 36
    Options
    The configuration that has yielded the best results for me when going unwrapped, non-injected has been a raised grid with a dome temp of 225.  I do this on an XL with a water pan under the raised grid. I put the flat side up, with the point actually hanging down at the 12 o' clock position, away from the 6 o'clock gap.  My idea in doing this for the flat to get a little bit higher heat than the point to avoid the point falling apart while the flat is still tough.  I also  am fully aware that my rationale in doing this may be hair brained, but I've experimented with a lot of different different combinations of temperature, method, and configuration, and this is what gives me what I'm looking for the most consistently.   
  • cazzy
    Options
    mmundy81 said:
    The configuration that has yielded the best results for me when going unwrapped, non-injected has been a raised grid with a dome temp of 225.  I do this on an XL with a water pan under the raised grid. I put the flat side up, with the point actually hanging down at the 12 o' clock position, away from the 6 o'clock gap.  My idea in doing this for the flat to get a little bit higher heat than the point to avoid the point falling apart while the flat is still tough.  I also  am fully aware that my rationale in doing this may be hair brained, but I've experimented with a lot of different different combinations of temperature, method, and configuration, and this is what gives me what I'm looking for the most consistently.   
    It's all about doing what works best for you.  

I don't even check the point.  Never...ever.  I focus on the flat and the point comes along for the ride.  I actually want my flat at a lower temp than my point, which is why I cook fat side up.  However, at 225, you're fine cooking either way.  That's very low and are not in much danger.
  • cazzy
    Options
    @pgprescott

I see that now.  

As much as foil is perceived to help, it can be very risky as it can easily zoom past your target temp.

If I was using foil, I would insert a monitoring probe after I wrapped it, then I would remove from that foil immediately after I pull it.