Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven on the MiniMax Question

Options
I am getting ready to use our MiniMax for the first time- taking it camping this weekend.  Among other things on the menu, I am bringing a beef stew that I already made and am hoping to heat up at the camp site.   I bought the 5 qt lodge dutch oven.  The lid on the mini max wont close around it (but the lid of the pot is going to be a perfect frying pan for breakfast making!).  I also brought home a 1.9 qt dutch oven and the mini max lid won't close around that either.

If I take away the fire ring, it will close around the smaller one.

So, given that I am only heating something already cooked, do I need to close the dome?  If so, is it OK to leave off the fire ring?
Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I think that u will be fine, I've fried with the lid open on the mini so getting hot enough won't be a problem.
    Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would just close the bottom vent on the egg so it doesn't get a full flame going and only fill the MM to the top of the fire box or less and use the lid on the DO. Stir every couple minutes so the bottom doesn't burn.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    Thanks!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    Options
    I might use the plate setter to protect from burning too- I hadn't thought of keeping the bottom vent closed.  I will try it- thanks!

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Lit
    Options
    I would use less lump before the platesetter. The platesetter with dome open will take forever to heat.
  • booksw
    Options
    Thanks- I was thinking I would heat up the plate setter with the dome closed and then put the pot on and close the bottom vent and leave the dome open...?  I have never cooked on the minimax before and there is really very little space for lump in it as it is.  

The plate setter probably wouldn't stop the bottom of the pot from burning anyway...

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Lit
    Options
    On your stove the pan is directly on the flame so as long as you stir you should be fine. I have never warmed anything on the MM yet but have warmed beans and pulled pork on the mini many times.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You don't need the stinking lid for heat. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.