Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My recent Warranty Claim

Options

Last summer I had the firebox on my medium crack.  I wasn't too worried about it but the crack was slowly getting worse.  So I went to the dealer that I purchased it from to get it replaced.  I have always thought he treats me good while in there.  Well, he didn't want to deal with my claim.  Told me just to keep using it till it is not usable.  I insisted, he said well I cant do anything today because he needed a picture of it.  I had a picture with me and also had the firebox with me in the truck.  Still didn't get anywhere.......He was always friendly when I had my wallet out.  I guess my new mini max later this spring will be purchased elsewhere...

Anyway, a quick email to BGE with a picture of the cracked firebox and my new one is on the way.  Pretty good service from BGE down in Atlanta.

What I learned is that you cant judge BGE by a bad dealer experience.  They take care of their customers.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Glad to hear it is being taken care of.  I hope you told someone at the mothership about this dealer.  Mabybe he will get his egg license revoked.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Yes, that is actually the first question that BGE asked.  I wasn't trying to get anyone in trouble, I just wanted the warranty that I paid for when I bought my Egg.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    What dealer? Put the word out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EGGjlmh
    Options
    henapple said:
    What dealer? Put the word out.

Really don't want to do that.  I should....

Also feel a little sorry for him, he has some health issues (still not an excuse)

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You should put the word out on him. Last weekend DOW got the Ace Dealer in Salado to replace a firebox on her Med that she bought in Okla.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EGGjlmh
    Options

@Mickey

She could have called mothership but that's good she got it replaced.

A couple more beverages and I might let it out.  I am the type of person that when unsatisfied I will just not go back.  Its his loss, I plan on finally buying a pizza stone for the large and probably buying a MAX

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad it was resolved.  Up here, the few Green Egg dealerships that exist are sort of doing it on the side.  Their principle business tends to be stoves.  I don't know if this is the norm or not for Green Egg dealerships.  Still, the one warranty claim that I did make involved the fire grate and was handled reasonably well, I think.  It had a small crack in it and the dealer facilitated the replacement and saved his advice for me until I had the new part in hand and was on my way out the door .  He simply commented then that if it were him, he would just use the old part until it broke all the way through before replacing it.  (I use a High Que fire grate now, so sort of a non-issue. )  It did take a couple of weeks (maybe three) for the part to arrive, but that's pretty much understood before you buy, and is just a given up here.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    @mahenryak where are you at? I just ordered a new Firebox under warranty from my local dealer. Split all the way around. I am expecting a few weeks for sure. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I agree with henapple. Bad dealers should be told. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • EGGjlmh
    Options

@mahenryak Thanks for sharing.

This dealer actually sells quite a few eggs and because of this I was rather surprised at how he handled this. 

However, I cant say enough about BGE customer service as they handled this greatly.  I am sure my experience at the dealer is not the norm as most people don't have to go to Atlanta to resolve a problem.  Its just nice to know that if there is a problem, a couple quick emails has it resolved.

• mahenryak
    Options
    @mahenryak where are you at? I just ordered a new Firebox under warranty from my local dealer. Split all the way around. I am expecting a few weeks for sure. 
    Alaska.  Just north of Anchorage.

• EGGjlmh
    Options
    @SGH I remember reading that post, you are correct sir, they take care of customers.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    i also say name names. Its not like he was just dragging his feet, he just didnt want to do it. No one should go thru what you did and there are plenty of lurkers out there that this would help. Maybe if you just said your location people could make their own informed decisions if they are in your area. Or they can PM you if therey are in a surrounding area. just a thought
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• mahenryak
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:

@mahenryak Thanks for sharing.

This dealer actually sells quite a few eggs and because of this I was rather surprised at how he handled this. 

However, I cant say enough about BGE customer service as they handled this greatly.  I am sure my experience at the dealer is not the norm as most people don't have to go to Atlanta to resolve a problem.  Its just nice to know that if there is a problem, a couple quick emails has it resolved.

You're quite welcome.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

At the very least I would let him know how you feel and that you will be taking your future business elsewhere.

I had a dealer near me who didn't want to do warranty work on my egg which I did not buy from them. I bought it at an eggfest. I still buy parts for my woodstove there but nothing for my egg.

• EGGjlmh
    Options

At the very least I would let him know how you feel and that you will be taking your future business elsewhere.

I had a dealer near me who didn't want to do warranty work on my egg which I did not buy from them. I bought it at an eggfest. I still buy parts for my woodstove there but nothing for my egg.

Just thought of this.  If you buy an egg at an eggfest, where would you normally supposed to go to have the warranty work done?

Also, I am in southern Indiana if anyone wants to PM me to find where NOT to go

• EGGjlmh
    Options
    grege345 said:
    i also say name names. Its not like he was just dragging his feet, he just didnt want to do it. No one should go thru what you did and there are plenty of lurkers out there that this would help. Maybe if you just said your location people could make their own informed decisions if they are in your area. Or they can PM you if therey are in a surrounding area. just a thought

Also, don't forget the Mothership asked me who the dealer is and now they are aware of it.

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger.  Just out of curiosity, which dealer did you use?
    GWN
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger.  Just out of curiosity, which dealer did you use?
    Barbecue Country in Edm. 75th
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Tell them Red sent you...

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • grege345
    Options
    i worry about the day i walk into my dealer. He knows nothing about the egg. I have 4 dealers near me and i dont have faith in any of them. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    grege345 said:
    i worry about the day i walk into my dealer. He knows nothing about the egg. I have 4 dealers near me and i dont have faith in any of them. 
    The one dealer in town is a furniture shop. I went to buy a table nest and they tried to sell me a nest and had to look that up. :disappointed: 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited March 2015
    Options

Any dealer should cover a warranty issue. I also understand someone not going out of their way if I purchased my egg somewhere else but they still should have dealt with it, even if they took their time, I'd be good in that. 

I ended up taking the drive back to the dealer in Hatfield PA, they are excellent to deal with. The Woodburners is the dealer. It was about an hour each way but I bought my second egg from them also because they are so good.

I've got another cracked firebox and ring I need to replace but my first warranty claim was a bad mold that made it impossible to get a good seal on the gasket. Both my top and bottom got replaced.

• grege345
    Options

Any dealer should cover a warranty issue. I also understand someone not going out of their way if I purchased my egg somewhere else but they still should have dealt with it, even if they took their time, I'd be good in that. 

I ended up taking the drive back to the dealer in Hatfield PA, they are excellent to deal with. The Woodburners is the dealer. It was about an hour each way but I bought my second egg from them also because they are so good.

I've got another cracked firebox and ring I need to replace but my first warranty claim was a bad mold that made it impossible to get a good seal on the gasket. Both my top and bottom got replaced.

i go in there once in a while. Nice people. I should have used them in hindsight. Afterall i spend half of my life from lansdale and south 

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    Are these cracks just random happenings or do you know what may have  caused it. I suspect my dealer may be a bit shake also.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    luckyboy said:
    Are these cracks just random happenings 
    When dealing with kiln fired ceramics, cracking is inevitable no matter how careful you are. The constant expanding and retracting eventually leads to stress cracking. Just is what it is.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I wouldn't call him out. Maybe the dude just had a **** day.  Can any of you relate to that?  I can. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I wouldn't call him out. Maybe the dude just had a **** day.  Can any of you relate to that?  I can. 
    You're entitled to a crap day, but if you work in retail, you'd better be prepared for the consequences. Especially if one of the main selling points of your product is the warranty and service. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    BGE warranty is good especially if you live by headquarters. They give new parts on the spot.