Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen, Thermapop, or Pocket

Options
The Maverick 733 just ain't cuttin' it. I know now that the $96 Thermapen is the ultimate goal. Anyone have advice about the Thermapop or even the Pocket Mini. Sure would save some $ if the quick, accurate function is basically the same. I'm gonna buy one or the other soon based on your input. TIA
Laurens,SC

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If I had it to do again, I'd get the pop. Have the pen and its a great tool, but in my set up in the dark I have to use it left handed. I could have gotten back light I guess, or I could have saved some coin and gotten the pop that swivels. Same results just a tick slower. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The little Pop is great, just not as fast.
    For money it's hard to pass it up.
    I do like the folding probe on the Thermapens the best.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    If I had to start over, I'd probably get a few pops. 

I already have two pens but the pop might be a little better. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I went with the thermopop.  I just couldn't justify paying and extra $70 or whatever for 2-3 seconds of speed.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Same here, I went with the ThermoPop and it works just fine.  It gets to temp in about 5 to 6 seconds.  The only thing if you are going direct it gets a little hot, so wear gloves if you are.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Pop

We're not baking fine chocolates fellows. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would have gotten the pop if they made them them. Good reviews. 

I know one person who bought the key chain size folding one. She loves it. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I have pen and pop. I just bought a second pop. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Guess I am odd man out.  I have both the pop and the pen.  I prefer the pen (mine is back lit).

The pen feels more rugged, I can fold the probe and put it in my pocket.  It hits temp noticebly faster.  The pop takes a few extra seconds to dial in.  I also prefer the varied angle/hand position on the pen.

For the price the pop is awesome.  However, I figure a single cook can have more money than a pen costs.  Just my 2 cents.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I like my backlit pen. I wanted the speed as I don't like the dome open for too long. An added bonus is that I don't smell like a fire as bad either because I'm not standing over a open grill as long. (The wife noticed this). 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I have $3000+ in two larges, table, and accessories. Saving $60(thermopop vs therm open) was not a big concern. I have 2 thermopens. 
    GWN
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I also have two pens, one backlit and one not.

Question about the backlit - mine seems to be flaky about the backlit coming on.  Is it light sensitive or should it come on every time?

NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I have a backlit TP & just ordered the St Paddys Day sale TP which is non backlit. Both I have in the glow in the dark clear silicone magnetic boot. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I also have two pens, an older standard and the newer backlit one. I also got a boot with the backlit pen. As clumsy as I am it will save me in the future. I like the backlit function.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Question about the backlit - mine seems to be flaky about the backlit coming on.  Is it light sensitive or should it come on every time?

It is light sensitive.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would have gotten the pop if they made them them. Good reviews. 

I know one person who bought the key chain size folding one. She loves it. 
    we got some of those in with our last order and they sold out.
  • pgprescott
    Options

Guess I am odd man out.  I have both the pop and the pen.  I prefer the pen (mine is back lit).

The pen feels more rugged, I can fold the probe and put it in my pocket.  It hits temp noticebly faster.  The pop takes a few extra seconds to dial in.  I also prefer the varied angle/hand position on the pen.

For the price the pop is awesome.  However, I figure a single cook can have more money than a pen costs.  Just my 2 cents.
    Both do have there place. I agree with your assessment. You are paying for that extra speed and accuracy with the thermopen, but it's there.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Normally I like all the gadgets, but I've heard a few people say the backlit can be flaky.

Why is the backlit necessary?  Wouldn't most people have their grill area lit up?
    Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Guys bash the Maverick that BGE offers, but i find it to be pretty damn good and backlit.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I had the RTC600C, which is very similar to the Pop.  Dog ate it so I got a Pen.  Love the Pen and wouldn't go back to a slower device.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    buzd504 said:

It is light sensitive.

Thank you.
    NOLA
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I have 3 Thermopops in the kitchen and shop and they are accurate and reliable. Good buy for the money IMHO
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    4 or 5 seconds doesn't seem like much but if you multiply that by 8 or 10 if you're cooking something like lamb loin chops it makes a big difference. My vote is for  the thermopen.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Maybe my thermapen is slowing down but my two Pops are very close in speed to the pen. Still want a backlit pen though....
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I've got a ThermoPen I've had for many years and a couple ThermoPops and I needed another thermometer but got one of these instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Accurate-High-Performing-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426807816&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=thermapop+thermometer

Pretty impressed with it. Seems well made and nice size - quite a bit smaller than a ThermoPen. It's not quite as fast as a ThermoPen (maybe a second or two slower) and I wish the probe was just a little bit longer but I do like the unit and would recommend them to folks that don't want to spend the extra $$ a ThermoPen costs.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I tested the thermopen and thermopop at the Salado Eggfest with a newbie. Not enough difference in response time to make  a difference in the cook. It's a matter of preference IMHO but YMMV.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    my thermopop spent all winter outside. sometimes it got buried by snow sometimes it got rained on. tough little bugger
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos