Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salado Pictures at Last

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
Salado last weekend was a blast! I have never been hugged so much in one 24-hour period in my life! Meeting the real people behind their tell-nothing names was fabulous. And the over-the-top hospitality of Joan and Lloyd Gaedke (Austin Egghead) was the cherry on top. 

When I got back, work on rebuilding a bathroom began and I was really busy. 

Here are some photos. Probably TMI for some. One dish in particular was outstanding--the kathi roll by caliking. I show several pictures in its preparation. 

Here's Photo Egg's birthday cake: 

Joan (Austin Egghead), and her prime rib roasts: 

Leroy (Spring Chicken) while still standing upright: 

The back of Kari's (Desert Oasis Woman) kilt outfit says "A Woman in a Kilt is Even Better." 

Sandy (PNWFoodie), Henapple (John?...there were a lot of Johns), and me:

Menu:

Chubby's wife made this to-die-for 14" bread pudding: 

John and Janelle (The Cen-Tex Smoker): 

Mickey, Nellie the Wonder Dog, and Linda Rawls

And here's the kathi roll: grilled paratha, egg, sliced tandoori chicken, dark browned onions, sauce, then rolled and sliced. Courtesy of Ashish DebRoy (caliking). 

Judy in San Diego

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Thanks for sharing Judy, was great meeting you!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Thx for identifying the folks in the photos. Maybe Ill make it next year. Look like it was tons of fun. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Thanks for posting, Judy! BTW in the 11th picture on the right side back aways in a denim shirt and sun glasses hanging down - wasn't that Molly Shark? Haven't seen her in years! I met her at the Oswego Fest near Chicago several years ago and then she went dark.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Judy Mayberry
    @RRP--that was she! She did grilled cauliflower.
    Judy in San Diego
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    RRP said:
    Thanks for posting, Judy! BTW in the 11th picture on the right side back aways in a denim shirt and sun glasses hanging down - wasn't that Molly Shark? Haven't seen her in years! I met her at the Oswego Fest near Chicago several years ago and then she went dark.
    Here was my last sighting of her in 2009. She was in that blue and black shirt and was making her knock off of Red Lobster delicious butter rolls.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    @RRP:  Yep, that's Molly Shark.  She usually attends the Salado fest each year.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Judy Mayberry
    @DMW: What do you have to say about the Blackstone pizza oven, Wayne? I haven't seen comments from users.
    Judy in San Diego
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Awesome post and pics @Judy Mayberry 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggObsessed
    For the record, Henapple's other name is Tony.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    @RRP:  Yep, that's Molly Shark.  She usually attends the Salado fest each year.

And N Georgia last year?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggObsessed
    @Hotch:  Yes, she was in Georgia.  Remember that she shared the cooking space with Bruce and me, and with the guy named Jay.  She wasn't there much because she taught a brisket class during the fest.
    Kelley 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Nice pics, Judy. One of these days, maybe I'll make it to another fest. Nice when you put names with faces. 

I always wondered why she wasn't Monicashark. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    @DMW: What do you have to say about the Blackstone pizza oven, Wayne? I haven't seen comments from users.
    Judy, I don't mention it much here, because I have only glowing reviews of it, and this isn't a Black Stone forum. :smile: 

Seriously, it's awesome, I can be launching pizzas 20 minutes after firing. And I can bake a pie is less than 90 seconds. Shutdown is quick.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    @EggObsessed will y'all be at the GA mtn fest? Brisket chili in hand :prayer: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Judy Mayberry 
    Here is a thread I have posted in on page 4 & 5. It was "sunk" by the admins so it no longer bumps to the top.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1162422/ot-blackstone-pizza-lovers-must-click/p5
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• EggObsessed
    @NPHuskerFL:  Yes, we'll be at the N. Georgia fest again this year.  We are flying in, so there's no way to bring or make chili.  Maybe we'll drive next year and I can bring some.  Thanks for asking!  When we fly to a fest, we try to keep our cooks simple with ingredients we can buy locally.
    Kelley 
  • Hotch
    @EggObsessed will y'all be at the GA mtn fest? Brisket chili in hand :prayer: 

@EggObsessed Yes bring your Brisket Chili with beans.....
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    @EggObsessed :bawling:  (gleam of hope...). :lightbulb: How about carry on?
    TSA "do you have anything to declare?". Eggobsessed "yes I have a confession my carry on is freaking delicious". :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • EggObsessed
    That is too funny, @NPHuskerFL!  I'm guessing that since I was nearly rejected from a flight for a jar of mustard, a 5 gallon bucket of brisket chili won't make the cut!

Kelley 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited March 2015
    @NPHuskerFL I asked(begged) @EggObsessed in another thread and she shot me down too. :bawling: 

also, thanks for putting names with faces. I enjoyed the pics. 
  • Hotch
    @EggObsessed I would bet if you left out the beans they may let you board with it from the Austin Airport.......
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    No beans :open_mouth: @Hotch Isn't that stew. :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    See you in San Diego this summer. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731

Judy - It was a delight to be able to meet you in person!

I'm glad you liked the kathi rolls. It was @20stone 's idea to make them. We didn't anticipate that they would be such a success.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Here was my last sighting of her in 2009. She was in that blue and black shirt and was making her knock off of Red Lobster delicious butter rolls.

You mean the white and gold shirt?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

You mean the white and gold shirt?  
    :rofl: 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Judy Mayberry
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker: Very good! I saw the dress kerfuffle too!
    Judy in San Diego
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker: Very good! I saw the dress kerfuffle too!
    Really enjoyed meeting you Judy. Hope to see you out in San Diego one day. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    I think one of those pics of @20stone belongs in the "show us your lump" thread right next to hapster
    Deez Nuts!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike