Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

15 inch egg. Unable to hot

Options
2»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Light the top...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    With your platesetter in there, you're seriously limiting the amount of airflow through the egg...  The egg shouldstill get hot enough to cook a steak indirectly, however you're going to have to be very patient.

A better option in my opinion, would be to remove the platesetter, and cook the steak directly over the fire - it will be much easier to get the egg up to temp this way. 

You can avoid 'charring' your steak if you prefer a couple of ways, either by raising your grid level up to the felt line (you can buy some aftermarket goodies to accomplish this, or just use some fire-bricks propped on the fire-ring, with the grate on top of them), or simply cooking the steak at a bit lower of a temp - 350 might be a good place to start trying - and watching them closely to avoid any charring.

Good luck.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    Oh - and try lighting your egg from the top of the coals - your fire could be having trouble burning "up" into your stack of coals.  I have nothing to support this, except for the fact that everyone i've seen, lights from the top.

Give it a try and see if that helps too. 
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Definitely light from the top. My guess is that's your problem right there. 
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    push come shove you could go to metal fabrication shop and get piece of expanded metal cut and adapted so air won`t get blocked by small bits of coal, but the beer and patron is the best way to go.
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    Nolaegghead is correct!  This solves your problem.  I had the same issue on my and my son's large! These grates are great.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Medium/dp/B0063911HI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426653244&sr=8-2&keywords=high+que+grate
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    grab a couple of firebricks and put them on the fire ring to raise the grid up a couple of inches.  I'll try to find a picture......

Wait, go check out "The Naked Whiz" website, he's got firebrick layout designs for raising the grid level.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Here's one.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Moraine
    Moraine Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes.  That was the trick.  Temp gauge was perfect.   When we removed the plate setter then the temp went up.   Also added more coal. I will have to raise the grate.  No charred steak!   I might try to raise the plate setter to allow more air circulation.  I still used the house fan to increase air flow.  We have cooked on the lower temp but the steaks were insipid looking    The egg will cook on!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's the spirit!  It's really easy when you start figuring it out.  Just takes time.

IT WILL BE ABLE TO HOT!!!!
    Options
    If you want to get to 600 you need to take the daisy wheel top off.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    No need for the house fan though. I have a medium egg also. I use a charcoal lighter. 
    I put the lighter all the way down to the grate. Put all the used lump by around it "it starts faster" then load up to the fire ring. I leave it plugged in till the flames start coming out through the new lump for a bit. 1 beer or 2 if I'm thirsty. Then I remove the starter. Close the lid, bottom vents wide open"screen shut" DW on or off. Fully open if on. The egg will do the rest. You can put your plate setter on at this time or wait till 300 or so then put on. Remember to burp yourself and the egg. Happy cooking.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    +1 on light from the top
    GWN
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Moraine said:
    Yes.  That was the trick.  Temp gauge was perfect.   When we removed the plate setter then the temp went up.   Also added more coal. I will have to raise the grate.  No charred steak!   I might try to raise the plate setter to allow more air circulation.  I still used the house fan to increase air flow.  We have cooked on the lower temp but the steaks were insipid looking    The egg will cook on!
    Glad you're solving your heat problem.  If you cook with a plate setter in the BGE, you are using indirect heat and will be roasting the steak. If that is what you are trying to accomplish, then raising the plate setter might be the right thing to do.  Most people want to grill their steaks and use direct heat with no plate setter.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA