Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood finish for egg table

Options
I just finished building my egg table but I am not sure what I should use to seal/coat the wood. It is made of red cedar. My concern is will a spar urethane hold up with the heat from the egg? Or should I use a regular water seal like Thompsons?Any help will be much appreciated!

Comments

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I used oil based miniwax clear on my cypress table, 3 coats.I wouldn't be concerned with the heat so much.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Spar urethane is about as good as you're gonna do and the heat won't bother it so long as you have clearance for air flow

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• mick7607
    mick7607 Posts: 85
    Options
    Forget Thompson's for anything. That stuff is made to sell, not use. We sold it for a few years at our paint store and had nothing but customer complaints. Minwax or Sikkens Spar is best for your table IMO.
    Laurens,SC
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    i used marine zspar captains finish. came out great and is holding up very well.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Tung oil.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Can you put Spar Urethane OVER Boiled Linseed Oil?  
  • mick7607
    Options
    I don't see any problem putting oil based spar over boiled linseed oil ONLY if the linseed oil has completely dried and cured and you buff it first with 0000 steel wool.
    Laurens,SC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    mick7607 said:
    Forget Thompson's for anything. That stuff is made to sell, not use. We sold it for a few years at our paint store and had nothing but customer complaints. Minwax or Sikkens Spar is best for your table IMO.
    I agree! Thompson's is a joke or actually a well played fraud by some marketing genius! It is essentially just paraffin diluted so much as to become a liquid and sold at a horrendous mark up!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Begger
    Options
    Mick:
    Oil  /  Oil is what I was told.   So if the finish is oil based, you can put it OVER a BLO tint / finish and still be ok.  
    How long to dry BLO?  like HOURS or DAYS or even longer?
  • mick7607
    Options
    At least 24 hrs depending on temp & humidity. If the steel wool is gummy, too soon. If powdery, good to go. 48 hrs would be better if patience is your virtue. Good luck!
    Laurens,SC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    An important component of spar finishes is oil, and other chemicals to allow the paint to expand and contract with the wood.  Another is a sunscreen.
    Options
    If you use BLO wait at least a week before over coating.  2 weeks to be certain.  

Spar at urethane will work best but nothing will last more than a few years unless you use a cover.  
  • Begger
    Options
    I'll do the 'dusting' test.   I'm in SoCal and we would seem to be on the edge of what is going to be a world-class hot / dry summer.   It was 90+ here 3 days in a row last week.   Temp at nite dropped around 35 degrees from the days peak!   That's a LOT for around here.  

With this sun, you BET I'm going to have it covered.   My patio cover is 80% Landscape cloth.   Even during summer at high-noon, you can comfortably sit out under it.  It has been up for around 20 years and is STILL nice and flexible.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Someone told me they read SoCal would run out of water in a year.  You guys have a serious drought?

Epoxy, the stuff used for marine, as a base makes for a good wood stabilizer and base for spar finishes.  That's how I do it. 
    Options
    yes, the drought is SERIOUS.   And they continue to build apartments and new housing like water were FREE.   
    San Diego Reservoirs are about 1/2 full.   Maybe more, maybe LESS.   We have an ongoing BEEF with LA and some other issues.    
    But having enough Ground Water is NOT one of those issues.  

Wish us LUCK.   We're gonna' need it.   I've already decided to NOT water my lawn except by bucket and car washing is OUT OF THE QUESTION.